Chief Serpas goes to NOLA

PaiMei

Guest HvyMtl

Chief Serpas has gone to New Orleans. Just announced by the Mayor 1100 am.

Nashville is now looking for a new Police Chief...

Buh Bye....

Edited by HvyMtl
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard of him. What'd he do? And what about the gun bill?

Restaurant Carry Passes in Tennessee!

On Wednesday, May 5, the Tennessee State House moved to adopt Senate Bill 3012 in replace of House Bill 3125, by a vote of 66 to 31.

The State House had to first table an anti-gun amendment attached to HB 3125, before they were able to substitute and conform to SB 3012. This anti-gun amendment, authored by State Representative Harry Tindell (D-3), would have required the owner of an establishment that serves alcohol to post based on a percentage of their food sales. This qualifier would have thus created a standard of vagueness within the law for the restaurant owners when determining whether or not the establishment was subject to the mandatory posting in the first place.

This bill also faced a last ditch effort made by State Representative Joe McCord (R-8) to attach the Tindell amendment to the House version of the bill. This would have forced a conference committee between the House and the Senate, which ultimately would have defeated the bill.

Sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25) and by State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), SB3012 will enable a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense in restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. Alcohol consumption would be prohibited and violation would result in the loss of a permit for three years. SB3012 also clearly defines posting provisions.

This legislation was filed in response to a court ruling last November. The previously enacted law was held to be unconstitutionally vague because of a perceived ambiguity over the state’s definition of restaurants. SB3012 will fix any ambiguity.

SB3012 will now head to the desk of Governor Phil Bredesen (D) for consideration. Please contact Governor Bredesen and urge him to sign SB3012. He can be reached by phone at (615) 741-2001 or by email at Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov.

Guest jimdigriz

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the beef everyone has with the guy? I don't live in Nashville proper, and haven't been following his doings really.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the beef everyone has with the guy? I don't live in Nashville proper, and haven't been following his doings really.

For you, Jim, and Jack, who asked as well:

Good Chief Ronny embarked on a program of greatly increased traffic stops as a way to reduce crime (or increase revenue, depending on who is asked). LEOs used the stops to initiate car searches, etc. It all sounds good, until you hear what the officers who have to actually practce his mode of law enforcement have to say.

The Nashville Scene had a cover story which outilined his approach here: Chief Ronal Serpas Plan for a Safer Nashville Is to Pull You Over Early and Often | Features | Nashville Scene

Read the article and draw your own conclusions. Most around here aren't going to cry themselves to sleep. Good luck in NOLA, Chief.

For you, Jim, and Jack, who asked as well:

Good Chief Ronny embarked on a program of greatly increased traffic stops as a way to reduce crime (or increase revenue, depending on who is asked). LEOs used the stops to initiate car searches, etc. It all sounds good, until you hear what the officers who have to actually practce his mode of law enforcement have to say.

The Nashville Scene had a cover story which outilined his approach here: Chief Ronal Serpas’ Plan for a Safer Nashville Is to Pull You Over Early and Often | Features | Nashville Scene

Read the article and draw your own conclusions. Most around here aren't going to cry themselves to sleep. Good luck in NOLA, Chief.

or Statistical LE. The theory is the more minor infraction stops you make the greater the chance of catching a felony. Thus great stats and more money. Things politicians LOVE, which is what Serpas is. Problem is since most of the LE is stopping cars on the highway the more heinous crimes start slipping through. I would much rather patrols be deterring crime with presence in high crime areas as opposed to random road stops. Same theory as random road blocks.

All in all it's not necessarily a bad tactic ... if applied correctly. Serpas however, is not concerned with LE but rather the politics of LE and where it can take him....... evidently NOLA.

When's Phil gone, too?
as soon as he gets voted out which i hope is soon

You both really don't know when his term ends?

GGP2JZ, you really think he has to be voted out of office?

Wow, talk about an informed electorate.

- OS

Guest jackdm3

I thought it was over for him pretty soon with his last term ending in the fall. I've hated most candidates for so long, I don't know when I last voted for one. I was just dreaming of his demise!

Guest jackdm3

Ramsey:

YES

Fighting the feds on guns

Willing to hire an atty against Obamacare to benefit Tennesseeans

NO

February 2005 he introduced a bill (2005 SB0698) to change county wheel tax legislation to give Tennessee county commissioners the sole authority to enact wheel taxes by majority vote, thus taking away the ability of voters to decide on local wheel tax in referendums.

During the 2004 election cycle, Ramsey was one of a few very prominent Tennessee General Assembly leadership members who accepted campaign contributions from both the Jack Daniel's PAC and the Wine & Spirits Wholesalers of Tennessee PAC

I'm on the fence right now.

Guest HvyMtl

Ramsey really needs speech classes. It is Washington, not Warshinteh...

Back on the topic. I fully believe the Mayor already has a person for the position. Further, I believe the decision will be made and set in concrete LONG before we citizens know who it is...

Just like us not knowing for a full week Serpas was gone, or the Convention Center was a done deal, or who actually now owns the Fair Grounds, and how we got stuck with the monies no longer covered over the Tax now assigned to the Convention Center. Surprise! No local Tax payer $ going directly to the Convention Center, but the $13-14 MILLION annually from the Tax will have to be covered some how by the local payers...

I expect the Dean to stick us again...

Guest HvyMtl

LOL. As a "Good Bye Present" Phil Williams on Channel 5 is going to take Serpas to task on his crime statistics...

:D