i bought my dad a ruger lcp from someone off of here back on november(he had replaced it with a sig 380). he said he never had any problems out of it, but everytime my dad shoots it, it wont load. the nose of the bullet hits the ramp and it locks it up. does it need a fluff and buff or is it a magazine problem? he has tried several different types of ammo and the same thing happens. if anyone has any ideas it would be great, and if the person i bought the gun from could tell me what ammo he was shooting i will be glad to give that brand a try as well. thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to a higher power set of recoil springs may help. How far is the brass being thrown? If your brass is landing more than 3-5 feet away from you, replace the springs. Wolff sells a calibration kit. Or, just buy the 13 pound spring set as most of the guys on the LCP forum wind up using this set. I believe the stock spring set is 9 pounds. 13 worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bluemarlin

450 trouble free rounds through mine of all kinds of different ammo (except fiochi), no mods. I pay particular attention to the ramp / chamber area while cleaning my LCP and always leave a thin coat of rem oil on the ramp when finished.

Going to a higher power set of recoil springs may help. How far is the brass being thrown? If your brass is landing more than 3-5 feet away from you, replace the springs. Wolff sells a calibration kit. Or, just buy the 13 pound spring set as most of the guys on the LCP forum wind up using this set. I believe the stock spring set is 9 pounds. 13 worked for me.

I've not heard of these. What is the advantage of switching and why are so many LCP owners making the change? Where are they sold?

• 1 year later...
Guest fastbilly1

i tried the 13# wolf springs and didnt like them personally. i went back to the stock springs, me and LCP are friends again.

most users on the LCP forum really liked a lot so i tried them out, but just not for me.

if anyone want to try the 13# springs, i will sell them for $10 shipped anywhere in Tenn.

the springs were used for less than 20 rounds so "like new" condition

• 2 weeks later...

Guess this was a little while ago, but my LCP has trouble chambering a round if I baby the slide forward.

Just like everyone has said I pull the slide all the way back and let go. I have not had a problem shooting yet.

• 3 months later...

I'm now having trouble with my LCP. Worked great for 100s of rounds, then I started getting FTF. Between live fire/ dry fire practice I had probably cycled the slide well over 1000 times, so I ordered a new 9# spring from Ruger. Problem was solved briefly, and then at today's range session I was having problems with the gun when I fired it one handed.

One round in chamber, 5 in magazine. Gun goes bang, then FTF on the very next round. It did this every single magazine of PMC Round nose ammo. (This ammo has worked up until recently in the gun). The nose of the bullet is getting hung up at the bottom of the ramp. Pulling the slide back and releasing chambers the round no problem. (Also, I fired two magazines of Hornady Critical Def, and had 0 issues. The shape of the bullet nose allows it to feed more easily I believe. One magazine was fired at the beginning of the range session, the next was after several magazines of round nose were giving me issues).

I did some testing and fired with a 2 handed grip, and had no problems with the PMC ammo. I honestly don't think I can grip the gun any tighter with my one hand - and I never had problems before with shooting one handed. (Maybe my technique does need some help one handed ....).

(Could there be an issue with me leaving the gun loaded for a month at a time before firing it?) The one thing that is good is that I've never had any kind of malfunction with the Hornady Critical Defense, and I've probably fired close to 150 of those rounds through the gun throughout its life (almost 1 year).

Long story long, I ordered some of the wolff springs a while back, and I think I'm gonna try the 11# or even 13# spring and see if that makes a difference. If not, I may have to ship it back to Ruger. I do make sure to clean the feed ramp very carefully. I'm using FP-10 oil. The gun is my primary carry so I need it to work!!!

I will post back here after my next range session with the heavier spring (hopefully tomorrow - if not then def Monday).

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would post here rather than open a new thread on the same topic. ZOMBIE THREAD!

I'm now having trouble with my LCP. Worked great for 100s of rounds, then I started getting FTF. Between live fire/ dry fire practice I had probably cycled the slide well over 1000 times, so I ordered a new 9# spring from Ruger. Problem was solved briefly, and then at today's range session I was having problems with the gun when I fired it one handed.

One round in chamber, 5 in magazine. Gun goes bang, then FTF on the very next round. It did this every single magazine of PMC Round nose ammo. (This ammo has worked up until recently in the gun). The nose of the bullet is getting hung up at the bottom of the ramp. Pulling the slide back and releasing chambers the round no problem. (Also, I fired two magazines of Hornady Critical Def, and had 0 issues. The shape of the bullet nose allows it to feed more easily I believe. One magazine was fired at the beginning of the range session, the next was after several magazines of round nose were giving me issues).

I did some testing and fired with a 2 handed grip, and had no problems with the PMC ammo. I honestly don't think I can grip the gun any tighter with my one hand - and I never had problems before with shooting one handed. (Maybe my technique does need some help one handed ....).

(Could there be an issue with me leaving the gun loaded for a month at a time before firing it?) The one thing that is good is that I've never had any kind of malfunction with the Hornady Critical Defense, and I've probably fired close to 150 of those rounds through the gun throughout its life (almost 1 year).

Long story long, I ordered some of the wolff springs a while back, and I think I'm gonna try the 11# or even 13# spring and see if that makes a difference. If not, I may have to ship it back to Ruger. I do make sure to clean the feed ramp very carefully. I'm using FP-10 oil. The gun is my primary carry so I need it to work!!!

I will post back here after my next range session with the heavier spring (hopefully tomorrow - if not then def Monday).

I know this is an old thread but I figured I would post here rather than open a new thread on the same topic. ZOMBIE THREAD!

If the gun works with two hands and you're experiencing failure to feeds shooting with one hand, chances are its not the gun. Sorry to utter the words, but it is possible that you're probably limpwristing it. The small .380 handguns like the LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT are extremely light and work based upon the recoil. If your wrist is not locked, the energy is not there to properly work the slide and you end up with a FTF. Grasping the gun tighter does not eliminate the possibility of a limp wrist. The wrist will need to be locked, almost as if you were extending your arm and pushing the gun forward with your wrist while pulling the trigger when shooting with one hand.

If the gun works with two hands and you're experiencing failure to feeds shooting with one hand, chances are its not the gun. Sorry to utter the words, but it is possible that you're probably limpwristing it. The small .380 handguns like the LCP and the Kel-Tec P3AT are extremely light and work based upon the recoil. If your wrist is not locked, the energy is not there to properly work the slide and you end up with a FTF. Grasping the gun tighter does not eliminate the possibility of a limp wrist. The wrist will need to be locked, almost as if you were extending your arm and pushing the gun forward with your wrist while pulling the trigger when shooting with one hand.

I agree with what you are saying, although I don't recall having any problems firing one handed with this same gun before. I will most certainly focus on my technique and report back. It is very possible that I am not holding my wrist locked as I pull the trigger. A lot can happen during the long DA trigger pull :)

Range Report:

So after my problems I came home, cleaned the LCP, and I changed the 9# stock recoil spring with the 11# wolff recoil spring. I shot about 140 rounds today. I shot the PMC Bronze 90 gr round nose ammo (the same ammo that gave problems a few days ago). I shot 2 handed, right handed (main handed), and left handed (off hand). I tried on several magazines to make the gun FTF using a weak grip (1 hand). It wouldn't fail! (yay).

Two things that I am going to do from now on with this pistol.

1) I am going to relube every 2 weeks or so of carry (when it hasn't been fired).

2) I am going to use the 11# wolff recoil spring set from now.

Just thought I would send an update.