Stolen Handgun Recovered

Knox Al

I got a call yesterday from the Knoxville Police Dept. They had received notice from the Chicago police who had recovered a gun that was stolen from me last August. My home was broken into and two Glocks and a Walther were taken. I had all the serial numbers written down, which were put into the national database of stolen guns.

The KPD said that Chicago would send the gun to them in a few days and I would be able to pick it up from the property division.

Al

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a call yesterday from the Knoxville Police Dept. They had received notice from the Chicago police who had recovered a gun that was stolen from me last August. My home was broken into and two Glocks and a Walther were taken. I had all the serial numbers written down, which were put into the national database of stolen guns.

The KPD said that Chicago would send the gun to them in a few days and I would be able to pick it up from the property division.

Al

Yeah, Chicago is probably best place in US to sell hot handguns.

I'll bet there are more illegal ones sold there than all the legal ones in the whole rest of Illinois.

- OS

I recommend everyone keep a list of SN's at home and off site also. I keep a spreadsheet and update it regularly. And after I make changes I email it to myself and download it on my work PC. Even if you just email it to yourself regularly, you can leave a copy on the server.

wow that is some great luck on your part!! congrats! Which gun did they find?

And if ya don't mind, did insurance cover the loss? reason I ask, would the insurance make you pay them back if you recover the gun?

Man, I'm shocked. I figured once stolen no one ever actually got a gun back...

Yeah, usually the police are reluctant to give it back because it's evidence if used in a crime; which of course it is, if someone was charged with selling/possessing the stolen gun or whatever.

- OS

I wonder if they will stick you for shipping costs?

Glad to read you are getting it back though. If it had been used in the commission of a crime other than some illegally posessing it I doubt you would see it again.

Stolen guns are the only thing that bothers me about buying ftf at a gun show. I would hate to own someones elses piece.

I had a similar experience about 1980 in Greenville, SC.

Car parked in hotel parking lot. Like a DA I left my Colt detective special in the glove box.

Window was broken out overnight to steal my CB and my Colt. I called the police to file a report, and told the detective I would call him back with the serial#.

About 3 months later, I get a call telling me they recovered the gun and I could pick it up the next time I was in town.

So, there have been at least 2 recovered in the last 30 yrs.:poop:

I recommend everyone keep a list of SN's at home and off site also. I keep a spreadsheet and update it regularly. And after I make changes I email it to myself and download it on my work PC. Even if you just email it to yourself regularly, you can leave a copy on the server.

Dropbox (getdropbox.com) is perfect for this. Use it to store pictures of other valuables, your cars, and your house also. 2 gig worth of pictures and databases will fit there....take pictures of honking everything you own.

Dropbox (getdropbox.com) is perfect for this. Use it to store pictures of other valuables, your cars, and your house also. 2 gig worth of pictures and databases will fit there....take pictures of honking everything you own.

Most folks don't realize their own ISP offers x amount of space.

ComCast is 6 GIG, I believe, 2 gig for each of 3 email aliases.

- OS

I had a S&W 686 stolen in Dec of '06. Insurance paid me for it. Then in April of '08 I got a letter from Nashville PD that it had been recovered and I could come get it. I called my insurance agent who then called the insurance company who had paid the claim to see what they would do. They told the agent that they would not want to dig out the files and not to worry about it.

My home is much more secure than before and all of my guns are now in a safe at all times if they aren't on my side. If it is ever stolen again I know that I better not ask the insurance company to pay for the same gun again.

I did have to do another background check before the PD would release it to me but there was no charge.

wow that is some great luck on your part!! congrats! Which gun did they find?

And if ya don't mind, did insurance cover the loss? reason I ask, would the insurance make you pay them back if you recover the gun?

It was the Glock 35 which I thought was strange as that is not a very good carry gun.

Didn't file a claim, as I had not reported to the insurance company what guns I have so they were not covered. I may be paranoid but several were bought years ago or more recently by ftf transactions so there is no record anywhere of what guns I have, other than the recent purchases.

Al

Guest Bronker
It was the Glock 35 which I thought was strange as that is not a very good carry gun.

Didn't file a claim, as I had not reported to the insurance company what guns I have so they were not covered. I may be paranoid but several were bought years ago or more recently by ftf transactions so there is no record anywhere of what guns I have, other than the recent purchases.

Al

This point got me to thinking. Is the general policy of insurance companies to require you to submit the specific details and identifiers of each gun in order for you to be covered in the event of loss or theft?

It's my understanding that you are covered for a certain amount of money, say $2,500 as a 'blanket' policy to cover the whole lot? Of course, $2,500 would come nowhere close to covering the value of my lot. I've not had one stolen before so I don't know. My best personal insurance policy is my self-imposed habit of having a gun safe, an alarm system, etc. I also have a specific rider to cover the value of my guns, electronics, etc.

Guest Sgt. Joe

So far I can keep my entire list on a 3X5 card. There are six of them in the house and four of those are in fireproof boxes. Another is in my main wallet which I dont carry and is also in another fireproof box.

I keep a spreed sheet on the computer (pasword protected) and Pics on Photo bucket (locked) I am considering adding the serial numbers as descriptions on Photo bucket.

Also I will look into the site mentioned. redundancy and more redundancy same as with safety.

And I would also bet 90 + % of stolen guns in this country pass at some point thru Chicago or DC.......:P I wonder why:rolleyes:

Also rather than a regular "gun" safe I use the small and medium Honeywell home safes and also a Sentry Fire box or two. I cant afford a large gun safe and with one rifle it is not necessary as of yet. The Honeywell safes are hidden throughout the house and none are in sight.

The Sentry fire boxes dont even all have a gun in them and when everyone leaves they are cable locked to my coffee table as three of them sit on the bottom shelf of it. I figure it will be right hard to get the entire table out the door or to cut thru the triple cables and locks and that if the stealing bustards find one safe they will probably be happy enough and go with it.

And that would be after they deal with the dogs.

I aint got much... but by golly I am doing what I can to make sure it stays mine.

I am very glad the OP got at least one back, I wonder what kind of shape it is in (if only they could talk) Mine do talk to me but I am sure they would stop if I let them get stolen and abused;)

No I'm not crazy....But a whole lot of the world around me IS :tinfoil:

Man, I'm shocked. I figured once stolen no one ever actually got a gun back...

stolen guns are recovered with great regularity.

no one writes their serial numbers down. in fact a great many can't even tell you the make.

so if its recovered in nashville and you don't have a serial number your piece was probably melted. unless it was a glock 40 or smith 38, then a cop is probably putting it to good use.

Edited by Ruprect
no one writes their serial numbers down. in fact a great many can't even tell you the make.

Yes. Drives me insane. Nothing worse than taking a theft report from someone on a stolen gun and the only description they can give is "uhhh, it was black."

We can't enter it into NCIC without a serial number. And with no NCIC entry, you'll never get your gun back if it's recovered.

PLEASE keep good records of your guns. And tell your friends to do the same!!