Stolen Handgun Recovered

Knox Al

Had my West German Sig226 stolen over 15 years ago. Got a call from Metro Nashville Police last summer and they had recovered my gun in a drug bust. The Brentwood officer who worked my burglary back in the mid 90s went and got it and returned it to me. It is a little rough, but seems to work fine. I am actually going to call Sig and see if they will refurbish/check it out for me. I did have the serial number.

Because of this thread, I went out to the safe tonight and made a spreadsheet of all my makes/models/ and serial numbers.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend everyone keep a list of SN's at home and off site also. I keep a spreadsheet and update it regularly. And after I make changes I email it to myself and download it on my work PC. Even if you just email it to yourself regularly, you can leave a copy on the server.

I use a 'Gun Record' Excel spreadsheet that I made up with drop-down lists for manufacturer, caliber, etc. that makes it really easy to record and track this information. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll e-mail you one.

Congrats to the OP on the recovery!!! :D

I use a 'Gun Record' Excel spreadsheet that I made up with drop-down lists for manufacturer, caliber, etc. that makes it really easy to record and track this information. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll e-mail you one.

You've been PM'd....;)

The firearms I've actually bought from a "store" and have had to get "background checks" on, have all the information kept in a firebox. I've even sent the postcards back to the manufacture with make/model/serial number etc. for thier records as well.

Any of the firearms that have traveled through my hands by private purchase usually have a general bill of sale but I'm not as persistant with keeping records on them. Most of them are "to try out" anyways and usually move on to the next person. If they turn out to be a keeper, then I'll attempt to get all the information on it I can find.....

It's all about redununcy right?? :D

not really, I have hard copies as permanant records, the pc thing is just for convenience when I want to ogle my collection without pulling them out of what they are stored in. And I have never owned a PC that did not crash and burn at some point.

An friend of mine had a pistol stolen in 1980. The local thief was suspected but the Sheriff didn't pursue as he was also a drug snitch. Ten years later he gets a call from a northern police department asking if he had had a pistol stolen with this serial number. He said yes that was his pistol. The officer then wanted to know of any "identifying marks" to confirm it was his. He was dumbfounded by this and then remarked that yes, there was one, the serial number. He never got the pistol back. We figured a cop had bought it and ran the number and found out it was hot, made the call to confirm, and removed it from the list as recovered and kept it.

I would think that in a situation like that, I'd call the police station back, ask to speak to the guy's supervisor or the chief and then let him know about that call...

if at any time you think something isn't right when dealing with a law enforcement officer, ask them to call their supervisor!

this isn't a slight on the officer and they shouldn't take exception to it. If anything they will welcome the extra help with an obstinate citizen!

This little bit of common sense will save miles of trouble. Much like the guy who got slammed for his pistol showing in Knoxville a few years ago. Turned out that the cop was at fault. The Chief of Police ended up writing an apology to the citizen.

Don't count on that happening in your case but having more than one cop on the scene keeps a dirty cop from doing anything dirty and gives a good cop the peace of mind in knowing that they're not in the situation alone..and since YOU demanded the supervisor, they don't look like a wussy.

:)

If they refuse to call their supervisor, call 911 immediately!

An friend of mine had a pistol stolen in 1980. The local thief was suspected but the Sheriff didn't pursue as he was also a drug snitch. Ten years later he gets a call from a northern police department asking if he had had a pistol stolen with this serial number. He said yes that was his pistol. The officer then wanted to know of any "identifying marks" to confirm it was his. He was dumbfounded by this and then remarked that yes, there was one, the serial number. He never got the pistol back. We figured a cop had bought it and ran the number and found out it was hot, made the call to confirm, and removed it from the list as recovered and kept it.

If that is the truth they need to get the TBI involved. Tampering with those records is a very serious offense.

When anything is stolen and you have the pertinent information that information can be entered into the TCIC/NCIC database. Those records are required to be updated once per year (unless that timeframe has changed.) There is no cost to the victim to keep that record active so if you hear from the entering agency tell them you want to keep the record active no matter what they say. I returned guns to owners or insurance companies after 10 years or more.

If you have not been contacted follow up with the agency to find out what is going on with the case and determine whether the info was entered and is still active. If you get blown off, and most agencies would not do that, contact the TBI office in Nashville. They are responsible for maintaining the TCIC system that is tied into the NCIC system.

Remember - It is your property and you are the victim.

If you have not been contacted follow up with the agency to find out what is going on with the case and determine whether the info was entered and is still active.

Remember - It is your property and you are the victim.

I don't mean this as a slam on the KPD, as I know they are busy, but let me go through what it took to get the serial numbers in the system. The investigating officer would not take the serial numbers, he said the forensics team would do that. He gave me a card with the case number and a phone contact. I gave the serial numbers to the forsenics team.

Called the police contact number after a few days, no numbers in the system. Gave them to the person to put in. A few days later a investigator called to see if I had any more information to add. I didn't, but had him check the computer system. No serial numbers were on file.

I gave them to him and he said he would put them in.

A few days later I go to the KPD office to pick up a copy of the police report. Two of the three serial numbers are incorrect.

I'm getting a little ticked off at this point, so I call Lt. Monty Boone, head of the property crimes division and explain what is going on. He is very concerned and calls me back a couple of hours later and says everything is fixed.

As I write this I am wondering if the report really did get corrected as I don't remember which gun number was correct. I think I'll call the KPD and check on the serial numbers on file.

Al

I don't mean this as a slam on the KPD, as I know they are busy, but let me go through what it took to get the serial numbers in the system. The investigating officer would not take the serial numbers, he said the forensics team would do that. He gave me a card with the case number and a phone contact. I gave the serial numbers to the forsenics team.

Called the police contact number after a few days, no numbers in the system. Gave them to the person to put in. A few days later a investigator called to see if I had any more information to add. I didn't, but had him check the computer system. No serial numbers were on file.

I gave them to him and he said he would put them in.

A few days later I go to the KPD office to pick up a copy of the police report. Two of the three serial numbers are incorrect.

I'm getting a little ticked off at this point, so I call Lt. Monty Boone, head of the property crimes division and explain what is going on. He is very concerned and calls me back a couple of hours later and says everything is fixed.

As I write this I am wondering if the report really did get corrected as I don't remember which gun number was correct. I think I'll call the KPD and check on the serial numbers on file.

Al

They get busy and make mistakes just like anyone else. That is why God invented the method of following up on things. Sometimes it takes one call, sometimes more. The point is to stay on top of it and help them help you. I believe they are working at doing the right thing but we all know any level of government can be frustrating. At least it's Friday. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Update

I got a call this morning from the Recovered Property Division of the KPD. The officer told me that the person picked up in Chicago that had my gun was a convicted felon. I'm not sure if he is charged with another crime or just a felon being in possession of a handgun. He said I could expect to get the gun back in 12 to 14 months, unless the ATF gets involved which would double the time. The only bright spot is that if the guy takes a plea deal, I could it back much sooner.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Well that is certainly better than never getting it back but I just dont understand why the good people are always at the mercy of the BG's????

I dont see why they could not just take a pic of the gun and serial # and then show it to the judge. "Your Honor not only was this felon in possession of a gun it was also stolen and has been returned to the rightful owner"

It makes perfect sense to me as we use Notaries for documents and such, I dont see why the same could not be done with pics of stolen property. Also your original Police report could be used at this scums trial.

But Hey....At least some day you will get it back.

This point got me to thinking. Is the general policy of insurance companies to require you to submit the specific details and identifiers of each gun in order for you to be covered in the event of loss or theft?

It's my understanding that you are covered for a certain amount of money, say $2,500 as a 'blanket' policy to cover the whole lot? Of course, $2,500 would come nowhere close to covering the value of my lot. I've not had one stolen before so I don't know. My best personal insurance policy is my self-imposed habit of having a gun safe, an alarm system, etc. I also have a specific rider to cover the value of my guns, electronics, etc.

Yes, most home-owner's (or renter's) policies have a blanket value coverage for firearms. If you want more coverage for something specific (firearms, jewelery, art, tools, muscial instruments, ....), just ask your agent. I've talked with mine and it's simple... $X amount of additional coverage beyond the standard number costs $Y more per year. Mine didn't want/need any other info.

A personal inventory of high value items is a good idea. I had one years ago but I'm sure it's very outdated. I've read that simply walking around your house with a video camera, verbally describing items, and reading/showing serial numbers as applicable is a good idea. Burn a DVD of it and put that DVD in a safe deposit box or something like that. I'll add that to my "to do" list.

• 3 weeks later...

Got another call from the KPD. The officer said my stolen Glock had been received by them and I could come pick it up at the property division tomorrow. I just need to have an ID and the serial number of the gun. Looks like the convicted felon who had it when he was arrested must have plea bargained or been let go. Maybe he is related to a guy from Chicago who recently moved to Washington, DC so he got his charges dropped. I'll let you know the guns condition when I get it.

What great news. Glad to hear it. Had a similar situation several years ago with a handgun stolen from my truck in an overnight break-in at my home. Was returned by the Knoxville Sheriff's Department.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Met with Officer McNew this morning and picked up the previously stolen Glock 35. It was none the worse for wear except the slide release button is a bit shiny from carrying. The mag was stripped and just a shell. Someone had added a Pachmayr slip-on grip and I have a Chicago Police Department evidence tag as a souvenir.

The officer took my ID and then ran a background check before he would return the gun.

Al