Restaurant carry Vetoed!

That's the message that everyone (well except the media, Rayburn, and the anti's) wants to get out. This is going on already in roughly 40 other states. Where's the stories about CCW/HCP holders going wild and shooting places up? That's because there aren't any of these stories.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is awful for you guys. You can carry in a resturant that serves alcohol in Indiana and we have had no problems here.

One of the arguments the restaurant association was using last year, was that they would lose convention business to Indiana and Oregon with the wild west coming to TN. They failed to include that both states allow restaurant carry. :):slap:

Guest HexHead
todays the day..... maybe

Only thing scheduled today is a Senate FWM committee meeting. Nothing on the Senate's calendars tomorrow concerning SB 3012 AFAIC. No agenda up for the House tomorrow.

I'm getting a bad feeling.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
todays the day..... maybe

I don't think so. Neither the House or the Senate is scheduled for a full session today. both are scheduled for one tomorrow.

Are they even in session today? House has 'no events scheduled' for today. The Senate has FWM committee calendar meeting only. Both are scheduled for floor sessions tomorrow (5/27). Wouldn't be when the over ride is brought up?

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Only thing scheduled today is a Senate FWM committee meeting. Nothing on the Senate's calendars tomorrow concerning SB 3012 AFAIC. No agenda up for the House tomorrow.

I'm getting a bad feeling.

Really, YOU are getting a bad feeling? thats new... :D Actually I 'think' the last time the did a veto override it was not showing on the calendar but was brought up on the spot during the messages portions of the sessions. I think we are still in good shape.

No full session scheduled in the Senate today, Hmmmm, that is different from what I was told last week, but...

They do have a session on the calender for tomorrow, but there is no mention of SB 3012.

I can not get a straight answer from anybody, like that is a surprise.

Veto override can be transfered and notice put up same day to the House, but unless they suspend the rules, it will be Monday now before the House could vote, unless it is the Last day of the session, then the 24 hour rule does not apply.

Got to get it out of the Senate first, regardless.

The motion to override in the Senate should occur during the "Unfinished business" portion of the floor session. I think they get to that just before the Consent and Message calendars, but not sure. It will not appear on any calendar, though - at least, it did not appear on any calendar during last year's overrides.

The motion to override in the Senate should occur during the "Unfinished business" portion of the floor session. I think they get to that just before the Consent and Message calendars, but not sure. It will not appear on any calendar, though - at least, it did not appear on any calendar during last year's overrides.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. Trying to get my Senator to call me back and give me the skinny. He is being hard to contact today though.

Guest uofmeet

Sent another e-mail

Sen. Brian Kelsey,

Just sending you a friendly e-mail to remind you about the many HCP holders in this state that would like to see the Veto Override of SB3012 Before the session ends. As an HCP holder, we have been through state require training, a FBI back ground check and also paid states fees to just apply for a handgun carry permit. Why governor Bredesen felt to Veto this bill is beyond me. He stated that guns and alcohol does not mix. I am guessing he didn't read the bill since it states that we could loose our permit if we drink while armed in a restaurant. With that logic, maybe we should forbid residents with a Tennessee driver's license to enter into restaurants that serve alcohol since there is an exponentially more amount of people that drink and drive and end up hurting people and causing accidents. But some of this is besides the point. We need to have a veto override for SB3012 before the session is over and we need everyone to vote for it.

and on second thought, i changed it

Just sending you a friendly e-mail to remind you about the many HCP holders in this state that would like to see the Veto Override of SB3012 Before the session ends. As an HCP holder, we have been through state require training, a FBI back ground check and also paid states fees to just apply for a handgun carry permit. Why governor Bredesen felt to Veto this bill is beyond me. He stated that guns and alcohol does not mix. It is clearly stated in the bill that you could loose your permit and receive jail time if we drink while armed in a restaurant. We need to have a veto override for SB3012 before the session is over and we need everyone to vote for it.

just trying to do my part

Guest db99wj

Bredesen expects veto override on guns in bars - WMC-TV: News, Weather, Traffic, Radar, and Sports for Memphis, TN; WMCTV.com |

Associated Press - May 26, 2010 4:35 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Gov. Phil Bredesen says he won't be surprised "in the least" if lawmakers once again override his veto of bill to allow handgun carry permit holders to bring their weapons into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.

The Senate was expected to vote Thursday on whether to turn back the Democratic governor's veto, which takes only a majority in both chambers of the General Assembly.

Bredesen told reporters that he was disappointed upon his return from a trade mission to Asia last week that lawmakers hadn't made more progress on the budget while instead focusing on issues like guns in bars and a resolution to honor Arizona lawmakers on their tough new immigration law.

In Bredesen's words: "I'd love to get some of this stuff aside that's kind of peripheral, and get on with the business of running the state."

Read SB3012 at http://capitol.tn.gov

Guest Jamie
In Bredesen's words: "I'd love to get some of this stuff aside that's kind of peripheral, and get on with the business of running the state into the ground before I leave office."

There, fixed it...

J.

Guest HexHead
In Bredesen's words: "I'd love to get some of this stuff aside that's kind of peripheral, and get on with the business of running the state."

Well, then I guess he shouldn't have vetoed the bill then? Dumbass.

Guest db99wj

that with the quoted story need to be sent to Bredesen.

Guest db99wj
that with the quoted story need to be sent to Bredesen.

So I did.;)

Guest Jamie
I hope he gets an incurable crotch rash.

He's already got one; her name is Andrea, and she likes digging big holes under the Governor's mansion...

J.

From an NRA-ILA Alert via email:

Tennessee Senate Expected to Address Veto Override on Thursday

On Thursday, May 27, the Tennessee Senate is expected to address last week’s veto of Senate Bill 3012 by Governor Phil Bredesen (D). The Senate will consider overriding the Governor’s veto during the unfinished business portion of the Senate Calendar.

Sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25) and State Representative Curry Todd (R-95), SB 3012 would have allowed a person who has a valid right-to-carry permit to carry a firearm for self-defense in restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions.

A veto override is critical, but due to rules adopted by the Tennessee General Assembly, the State Senate must address the veto override, before the House can take action. With only a handful of legislative days remaining in both the Senate and House, it is critical that the Senate take up the veto override Thursday.

Please continue to visit the NRA-ILA website for updates.