Restaurant carry Vetoed!

Guest Doc44

These "restaurants" with no food that have not paid fines sounds like a good thing for the channel 5 news investigative reporter that nailed Serpas to investigate. With the state needing money and people like Rayburn owing a million $ plus to the state should be a good reason.

Doc44

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest themark712
Um, that would be Ramsey. Haslam has all the makings of another Bredesen (MAIG membership).

That would be my choice as well. :)

RE effective date after override: Last year, the bill was vetoed 5/28, overridden 6/3 &6/4, published to the Code 6/17, but not made effective until 7/14...does anyone remember why the delay between publishing and effective date? Did it have anything to do with the amended effectiveness clause reading "June 1", which ended up preceeding the date of actual final passage (June 4)?

Guest TnRebel

From Ron Ramseys FaceBook page

27523_37264605451_3632_q.jpg

Lt. Governor Ron Ramsey As the only candidate with a Handgun Carry Permit and a Lifetime Sportsman Hunting and Fishing license, I am committed to protecting your Second Amendment rights. I will be proud to lead the charge to override Gov. Bredesen's veto to allow handgun carry permit holders to protect their families in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Bredesen Vetoes Guns in Restaurants Again: Ramsey Stands Tall for 2nd Amendment, Promises Veto Overr

Ron Ramsey for Governor

Tenn. gov vetoes bill allowing guns in bars, again(Associated Press)By: Erik SchelzigNASHVILLE, Tenn. — For the second year in a row, Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen has vetoed a bill to allow guns in bars ...

Wednesday at 11:34pm · Comment ·UnlikeLike · View Feedback (136)Hide Feedback (136) · =1422081614&p[]=123887554302593&parent_fbid=123887554302593"]Share

You and 98 others like this.

View all 38 comments

RE effective date after override: Last year, the bill was vetoed 5/28, overridden 6/3 &6/4, published to the Code 6/17, but not made effective until 7/14...does anyone remember why the delay between publishing and effective date? Did it have anything to do with the amended effectiveness clause reading "June 1", which ended up preceeding the date of actual final passage (June 4)?

On the bill last year the effective date was June 1. So since it was after June 1 before the veto was overriden it had to wait the 40 days laid out in Article II sec 20 of TN Constitution before it became law.

Bredesen is hoping to push it out long enough that a quorum might be hard to assemble. Legislators have graduations to attend, vacations bought and paid for....

Taking his last shot at sprucing up that resume.

Another big reason that they want to go home is that they have important elections this year and as long as they are in session they cannot raise money for their campaign.

From Ron Ramseys FaceBook page

27523_37264605451_3632_q.jpg

Lt. Governor Ron RamseyAs the only candidate with a Handgun Carry Permit and a Lifetime Sportsman Hunting and Fishing license, I am committed to protecting your Second Amendment rights. I will be proud to lead the charge to override Gov. Bredesen's veto to allow handgun carry permit holders to protect their families in restaurants that serve alcohol.

Bredesen Vetoes Guns in Restaurants Again: Ramsey Stands Tall for 2nd Amendment, Promises Veto Overr

Ron Ramsey for Governor

Tenn. gov vetoes bill allowing guns in bars, again(Associated Press)By: Erik SchelzigNASHVILLE, Tenn. — For the second year in a row, Tennessee Gov. Phil Bredesen has vetoed a bill to allow guns in bars ...

Wednesday at 11:34pm · Comment ·UnlikeLike · View Feedback (136)Hide Feedback (136) · =1422081614&p[]=123887554302593&parent_fbid=123887554302593"]Share

You and 98 others like this.

View all 38 comments

Yep, Ron's got skin in the game. You can joke all you want about the boot ads, but the guy just does not sound like a politician.

When Haslam talks all I think of is "Slick Willie" Clinton. Whatever comes out of his mouth is contingent upon the direction of the wind. His waffling on his MAIG membership is classic politician. When he was mayor of K-ville he was probably thinking about how he could buddy up to M. Bloomberg. Now he knows he's got to court the 2A vote, so he drops his membership in MAIG. Wow...what convictions!

I'll bet Haslam's never even fired a gun. Looks like he'd wet his pants if he did. I'll bet Ron's got a backup in one of those boots.

Guest TNReb

This is an email I sent to every member of the legislature, except for Jimmy Naifeh. I just couldn't bring myself to write to that old SOB without calling him everything but a cedar bush. But we know how he's going to vote anyway.

Thank you all for the opportunity to voice my support of an override of the Governor’s veto of SB3012 dealing with the rights of permit holders to protect themselves and their loved ones. I know the Governor, the media and the opponents of this bill want to mischaracterize this bill as “guns and alcohol don’t mix,†or “guns in bars,†and the like. I have seen a poll question asking “Should guns be allowed where alcohol is served?’ The Governor, in his letter of explanation for the veto, states that he was taught in an NRA course that “guns and alcohol don’t mix.†Well, I was taught the same thing, and I firmly believe and support that. But more importantly, this bill also supports that.

This bill provides for increased penalties for anyone who has any alcohol while carrying a weapon. In addition, if that person is a permit holder, they lose their permit for three years. I think that is a pretty clear message to everyone that “guns and alcohol don’t mix.†Instead of a reason to veto the bill, this should have been a reason to sign it.

In addition, property and business owners’ rights are protected under this law. Under this bill anyone—not just restaurant and bar owners—may post their property or business against the carrying of weapons. In that event, if anyone carries a weapon onto the property, they now are punished with a five hundred dollar fine. That is a further enhancement of the penalties over previous law.

If laws which prohibit the carrying of weapons anywhere could actually prevent that from happening, there would be no need for honest, law-abiding citizens to carry a weapon for protection. But the plain and simple fact is, the only people who obey the law in this equation are the licensed permit holders. If this bill is not passed into law, criminals will still ignore the law, and the permit holders will not. I wish anyone who is against this bill would sit down with Mrs. Nikki Goeser and explain their opposition to her. While the law was in place stating that no one could have a weapon in a place that served alcohol, a criminal thug disobeyed the law and used his weapon to gun her husband, Ben, down in cold blood in Nashville, Tennessee, while she, obeying the law, had left her gun outside in her car. Before you decide to cast a vote to sustain the Governor’s veto, I wish you would imagine that she is sitting across the desk looking at you and waiting for an explanation of why you would vote to disarm her while having no effect on the man who murdered her husband or others like him. Now multiply that by the over 200,000 handgun permit holders like her, and like me, and if you cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for why we should be prohibited from protecting ourselves and our loved ones, I hope you would change your mind and cast your vote to override.

What the Governor did, in effect, when he vetoed this fair and carefully considered compromise to protect everyone’s rights, was to figuratively say to all law-abiding, licensed permit holders, “I don’t trust you and I don’t think you will do the right thing.†Please do not send that same message with your vote. While the law was in effect for a short time last year, not one incident—no matter how minor—can be found where a permit holder acted inappropriately. We deserve the right to prove ourselves again. I respectfully submit that your vote to override this veto will operate to make Tennessee a better and safer place than it has ever been before. Thank you for your consideration, and your service to our great state.

Keep up the good work guys. We got what we could this year, and like Ahhhnold says in "Terminator," I'll be back! And not just me, but all of us to get this law made even better. Shoot out those calls and emails and let's send OBredabama a clear and unmistakeable, Clampett-style, "California Howdy!"

Guest TnRebel

Maybe I am telling my age but I remember pickup trucks driving around in north east Tennessee with guns hanging in the back window and going bird hunting with a shotgun and a 357 on the hip .

Didn't I hear that these states will still issue permits if requested for reciprocity issues with other states?

I have read or been told on forums that Ak and AZ do, not sure about VT.

- OS

edit: according to handgunlaw.us, VT does NOT issue a permit, so shows only Alaska as allowing VT folks to carry in their state, I guess just by showing DL or whatever as proof of VT residency.

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Doc44
Maybe I am telling my age but I remember pickup trucks driving around in north east Tennessee with guns hanging in the back window and going bird hunting with a shotgun and a 357 on the hip .

Yep, back in the day in middle TN just about every pickup had a gun rack in the rear window. Had a '61 Chevy and a double gun rack, shotgun and rifle during huntin season and a rifle and reeling rod with a Zebico on it in the summer time, Side gun was a Blackhawk 357, cost $72 new in box and no back ground check.

Just look how far we have come.

Doc44

I figure as long as the place isn't getting 51% of it's income from selling alcohol to you personally, you ought to be able to carry there.

J.

so why would it bother if you if they received 99% of their income from alcohol?

Do you not believe I should carry there if I drink a coke, or if I just go there with friends and don't spend a dime?

Guest archerdr1
so why would it bother if you if they received 99% of their income from alcohol?

Do you not believe I should carry there if I drink a coke, or if I just go there with friends and don't spend a dime?

he said if they made it of of YOU PERSONALLY, meaning, you were doing the drinkin'

Guest archerdr1

Ok, so this is my letter to My representative, one who actually represents us, Vince Dean

Dear Mr. Dean,

My reason for writing this letter is three fold. First, I want to

thank you for standing up for us by voting to pass this bill. I am

not a big fan of the "Gunbusters" sign being proper signage, but I

think I can live with that. The only objection that I have to that is

that it may be easily missed whereas a sign with exact wording is hard

to miss. So thank you very much for your support of the Law abiding

citizens of Tennessee.

The second reason I am writing, as you probably guessed is to vent my

extreme displeasure of not only the fact that the governor vetoed the

bill, but that he signed the veto and had it held until the very last

minute and he was in China. Not only did that show that he is a

coward in the most extreme sense of the word, but it showed his

blatant disregard for gun owners. As one of my friends said, "He

mooned us from halfway across the world". I really hope to hear

someone, during discussion of the veto override use the phrase that

Todd Curry said last year, "I want to show him where he can stick this

veto". I do not get mad very easily, but this Snide, underhanded,

arrogant move by the governor really pushed my buttons. If he knew

that he was going to veto this bill, why did he not just do so when he

received it? That would have at least been a Little more honorable

than having it delivered when he was across the world. I hope someone

up there will advise him to move back to the north where they like

liberals when he is finished with his term.

Ok, I am finished venting, sorry for wasting your time with that, but

I needed to get that off of my chest to someone that is actually in a

place to do something in Nashville. My third reason for writing is to

ask you (though I am pretty sure that you have already planned on

doing so) to vote to override this veto. You are a friend to gun

owners and I do appreciate this so much. Thank you and if there is

any way I can help your campaign in your next go-round, you have my

email. Let me know. I will be the first to put a sticker on my car,

as well as a sign in my yard. Thank you for your service.

How'd I do?

I have read or been told on forums that Ak and AZ do, not sure about VT.

- OS

edit: according to handgunlaw.us, VT does NOT issue a permit, so shows only Alaska as allowing VT folks to carry in their state, I guess just by showing DL or whatever as proof of VT residency.

I think that losing reciprocity would not be a good thing. In fact, in some ways it would be moving backward. Maybe it is purely selfish, but now that I have already gone through the class, the $115 'startup fee', etc. I'd just as soon pay $50 every four years and continue to be legal to carry in several states. I'd hate to win a moral victory only to end up with a de facto loss of some of our existing carry rights.

I wonder if, even if TN issued permits on request, we would lose some states if the classroom and range qualification process weren't part of getting a permit. Once again, perhaps a purely selfish concern but there it is.

I think the best solution would be 'Vermont-style' carry legalized in TN with people having the option to get a permit by going the class/qualifying route. Just kind of thinking out loud - well, not exactly 'out loud' but you get the point.

Guest archerdr1

I hope that is what we would get. We should still be able to get a permit (maybe bring the price down a bit) if we want them for reciprocity, but be able in the state of TN to carry w/o one.