Restaurant carry Vetoed!

Guest Jamie
he said if they made it of of YOU PERSONALLY, meaning, you were doing the drinkin'

And you'd have to be doing an awful lot of it at that, if the place could stay in business.

But then, if you drink that much, I doubt you could even find your gun, much less carry it.

Anyway, my whole point was that unless you're going in some place and getting falling down drunk, I really couldn't care less if you carry or not. Hell, I probably wouldn't even care then... 'cause you're not very likely to shoot anybody if you're passed out on the floor.

J.

Edited by Jamie
  • Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jamie
I think that losing reciprocity would not be a good thing. In fact, in some ways it would be moving backward. Maybe it is purely selfish, but now that I have already gone through the class, the $115 'startup fee', etc. I'd just as soon pay $50 every four years and continue to be legal to carry in several states. I'd hate to win a moral victory only to end up with a de facto loss of some of our existing carry rights.

I wonder if, even if TN issued permits on request, we would lose some states if the classroom and range qualification process weren't part of getting a permit. Once again, perhaps a purely selfish concern but there it is.

I think the best solution would be 'Vermont-style' carry legalized in TN with people having the option to get a permit by going the class/qualifying route. Just kind of thinking out loud - well, not exactly 'out loud' but you get the point.

Look at it this way... If they do away with permits, they can't very well take it away from you if you're caught in a bar, drinking and carrying, can they?

And that's probably just one of many reasons why it'll never happen here; it'd cause a need for too much re-vamping of existing laws.

J.

Look at it this way... If they do away with permits, they can't very well take it away from you if you're caught in a bar, drinking and carrying, can they?

And that's probably just one of many reasons why it'll never happen here; it'd cause a need for too much re-vamping of existing laws.

J.

Or if they ever did allow carry without a permit (not likely, IMO) they may have different restrictions for those that don't have a permit than those that do.

Then talk about confusing firearms laws.......

Guest Boogieman
I think that losing reciprocity would not be a good thing. In fact, in some ways it would be moving backward. Maybe it is purely selfish, but now that I have already gone through the class, the $115 'startup fee', etc. I'd just as soon pay $50 every four years and continue to be legal to carry in several states. I'd hate to win a moral victory only to end up with a de facto loss of some of our existing carry rights.

I wonder if, even if TN issued permits on request, we would lose some states if the classroom and range qualification process weren't part of getting a permit. Once again, perhaps a purely selfish concern but there it is.

I think the best solution would be 'Vermont-style' carry legalized in TN with people having the option to get a permit by going the class/qualifying route. Just kind of thinking out loud - well, not exactly 'out loud' but you get the point.

I do not think that it is too much to ask that we take a class and qualify at the range in order to carry. That said, perhaps upon taking the class we are issued a certification card that makes it legal to carry. Of course the Govt. wouldnt be getting their "cut" and so would probably regulate the classes and raise the price so they get something out of it. Eh, it was a good idea while it lasted......

Guest Jamie
That said, perhaps upon taking the class we are issued a certification card that makes it legal to carry.

And that's different from the current permits... how?

You're still paying somebody to run the class, make and issue the permits, etc. And I certainly don't see where it makes any difference who you're paying, the government or some private individual.

Sorry, but if you're going to require people to do things before they can carry, you're no better off than we are right now.

J.

Guest TNReb

Responses I have received from my email so far:

From Senator Delores Gresham:

I'm with you!

--------------------------

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

From Representative Ben West, Jr.:

You can count on Representative West on voting for the override.

From Representative Joe Carr:

Thank you for contacting me with regard to SB 3012. This is a very important piece of legislation for law biding citizens who believe that the Constitution of the United States gives authority to the private citizen "to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed". I will be voting YES to override the governors veto.

Thanks,

Joe S. Carr

205 War Memorial Building

Nashville, TN 37243

615-741-2180

More as they come! I have already responded to them and thanked them for their support. If you have the chance please let these folks who support us hear from you and let them know you will support them when the time comes.

Wow...this got long fast....while I will say what Bredesen did was sh*tty...the bigger picture is that he did bring A LOT of jobs to TN...so dont hate on him too much....if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have gotten the VW plant...and I know a few people on this board have jobs thanks to that.....if its between Tennesseans working and me carrying my firearm in a restaurant...well...I think my gun will be sitting in my car waiting for me....again...not saying I agree with what he did, but lets not dog the guy too much.

Guest TNReb
Wow...this got long fast....while I will say what Bredesen did was sh*tty...the bigger picture is that he did bring A LOT of jobs to TN...so dont hate on him too much....if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have gotten the VW plant...and I know a few people on this board have jobs thanks to that.....if its between Tennesseans working and me carrying my firearm in a restaurant...well...I think my gun will be sitting in my car waiting for me....again...not saying I agree with what he did, but lets not dog the guy too much.

Wow. Don't think I would go there man. I guess you can try to find something good to say about anyone, but in this case, that's like saying that :) didn't stink THAT bad.

Guest TNReb
He can keep his jobs if our civil liberties are in the balance.

Screw bredesen.

Good point. And while we're at it, we need to remember that government only creates jobs that cost us in the long run. The duty of government is to get and stay out of the way and let business create jobs. And I would have to respectfully challenge the assertion that we would have not gotten the VW plant without Bredesen. He may have tried to help get it here, but ultimately there are many factors which cause a business to locate somewhere--not just one person. What the gov did in waiting until the last day and vetoing this legislation shows what a gutless wonder he is. If you have the courage of your convictions, why would he not veto it as soon as it hits his desk, so that the will of the people has a chance to prevail? Because he wants to thwart that will by substituting his own and by hoping the legislature would leave and not come back to execute the guaranteed override. So I would have to respectfully assert that while he was not solely responsible for any business locating in Tennessee, he tried to be solely responsible for defeating a law and denying me my constitutional right to bear arms. I, for one, refuse to thank someone for trying to take away everyone's freedoms in return for personal gain. I wasn't looking for the job I have when I got it. And if I lose it, I'll have to get another one--on my own. A lot of the problems we have now are directly related to a "just me" mentality that says do whatever you want to to everyone else--just don't bother me or mine. I refuse to kiss the hand that slaps me in the face just because that hand has patted me on the head before. Those who would trade their freedom for security deserve neither. Bredesen has proved he is garbage, and I say good riddance to bad garbage!

I don't think you are remembering all the details of getting that VW plant or the Nissan plants. Huge payouts and complete loss of tax revenue that doesn't stay in TN. He sold his sole to have a political bragging right. It's the equivalent of buying a 35k Hummer to delver meals on wheels.

Glad we got the jobs, but financially it did not make TN better. There were better ways of going about that.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Sure, Bredesen 'might' have helped create jobs but a good Governor should be able to do BOTH - create jobs AND support our right to keep and bear arms.

Guest cappy

So this hasen't been overridden yet has it? I was talking to someone today that said they got an email from NRA saying it was overridden friday? but I thought it was this week they were going to try and do that.

Quote: "I do not think that it is too much to ask that we take a class and qualify at the range in order to carry."

OK. Where did you attend class and receive a permit to speak as you wish. Oh, and also your church attendance permit?

Robert

It is a shell game, they do not collect fines for 50% violations, and they have not done "food audits" in years and years.

And as a arm of the State, their records are open to the public.

(back to ABC auditing/collecting fines/pulling licenses)

According to account quoted in this post from KNS

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/40371-kns-editor-strikes-again.html#post528633

the Buckwild Saloon in Nashville was audited in 2007 and 2009 by ABC.

Sort of doubt it was the ONLY one in the whole state?

- OS

So this hasen't been overridden yet has it? I was talking to someone today that said they got an email from NRA saying it was overridden friday? but I thought it was this week they were going to try and do that.

I think they will start the process tomorrow - 5/24.

Guest Jamie
I am signing up for the correspondence course in reading comprehension tomorrow. :D

Why? We're always here to explain stuff to ya. :D :D :P

J.

Guest archerdr1
I am signing up for the correspondence course in reading comprehension tomorrow. :D

reading comp is overrated, just stick with us, we got your back! Until I left Mississippi's education system and went to school in NY,:D I probably would have made the same mistake...Just glad I moved back to the south after my grammar was corrected and their politics took its toll on me!