Concealed Carry for Runners?

Guest SigGrl

Guest SigGrl

Question for you athletes or runners out there. I'm trying to come up with a way to carry, while I go on my runs. I REALLY, REALLY enjoy night runs around 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. I really feel like I should be carrying, while I'm out there running alone after dark. I was wondering, if you guys think a belly band would work for this? Would it be stable enough to stay put with the motion of running and not slip?

I've thought about a fanny pack, but I hate anything constricting and that has a lot of movement on my runs. Of course, conventional carry is out, since running shorts don't have belt loops or the fabric strength to do the job. Any suggestions?

I carry a Taurus Slim, so it's pretty compact. Hubby also has the smaller Taurus TCP that I could carry, if that would work better. Suggestions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fourspdRAT

A belly band seems like it might be your best bet. It would stay snug on your person and wouldn't bounce around or get in your way. JMO

Fanny pack or buy a North American Arms .22 revolver and tuck it in your bra or velcro it around one of those tiny running belts that hold gu packets. Hey, a .22 is better than throwing rocks. When I run I wear a fanny pack with a Kahr pm9. But I've been thinking about getting one of those naa 22s.

It's a compromise. A NAA revolver in 22mag and a can of mace wouldn't be too bad. Magum Research makes a tiny little 380 that might work too. Then there is the two shot derringer.

Edited by Will Carry
I tried using a bellyband years ago and it didn't work well for me.

QUOTE]

I've tried the band and those tight undershirts with built in holster both with no success. Ran in the yard with the undershirt and my (unloaded) gun fell to the ground.

It's a compromise. A NAA revolver in 22mag and a can of mace wouldn't be too bad. Magum Research makes a tiny little 380 that might work too. Then there is the two shot derringer.

My Cobra .38 derringer weighs almost 15 ounces for two shots.

Wouldn't be my first choice. Or my second. Or ....

- OS

5.11's Concealed Carry Holster Shirt's are great!

Concealed Carry | 5.11 Tactical

They hold about any handgun up to a fullsize with tac.light firmly against your body and very comfortable to wear for long peroids. I think they would be fine to wear alone when running or can be covered up with as little as a t-shirt.

I'd recommend checking your favorite vendors for a better price if interested tho.

A light, small fanny pack will work. I have a Vibe II from Mountainsmith that is just right for carrying my P32. The fanny pack gives you room for your chp, a small flashlight, and a spare mag, if you should desire. You might also look at some of the fanny packs for runners that hold your plastic water bottle. I had one that had a pocket on it. I no longer have it, but I think the pocket was rather small. Another viable option might be to consider the Smart Carry, but I don't know if it would work inside of running shorts, it might be too much of an irritant riding on the skin.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

I just bought this product called pistolwear - i am interested in packing while running as well. they have several models for different carry styles/sizes of firearms. and... one of them can be worn as a chest/underarm harness.

I'll let you know how it works when it gets here (under $35 shipped)

a video review on youtube (not me) comparing bellyband and the pistolwear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckleSYzy3i8

I found a product similar to smartcarry holster called tactipac (tactipac.com) it looks very much the same but its quite a bit cheaper $35 shipped

Edited by morrisster
Guest db99wj

I have thought about it but can't figure it out either. My wife has the hand held mace that has a strap that goes around her fist.

I use one of these Amphipod RunLite Hydration Belts - Customizable Multi-Bottle System. Innovation that delivers.. I can put my p32 in the pouch. Or I can also use it with my Taurus Ti 38 with a Fobus OWB holster. The belt is wide and comfortable. I sometimes carry a can of this for dogs but I am sure it would do a hell of a job on a human http://www.udap.com/product.htm.

Edited by Curiousgb
Guest SigGrl
I just bought this product called pistolwear - i am interested in packing while running as well. they have several models for different carry styles/sizes of firearms. and... one of them can be worn as a chest/underarm harness.

I'll let you know how it works when it gets here (under $35 shipped)

a video review on youtube (not me) comparing bellyband and the pistolwear YouTube - Pistol Wear Trump Card Holster Review.

I found a product similar to smartcarry holster called tactipac (tactipac.com) it looks very much the same but its quite a bit cheaper $35 shipped

Let me know how that works out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like to have options.

Guest rabidrhino

I'd suggest that many times the concept of exercising and carrying a firearm is made much more complicated than it has to be.

I've logged many many miles throughout Nashville with a base-layer underarmour shirt, wilderness tactical belt and MTAC holster with a G19 overtop, all covered by my gym shorts and a t-shirt/sweat-shirt.

Personally, I like it as it is comfortable and doesn't flop around, is similar to my daily carry, and is fast to access. The only negative is that one has to dry the MTAC holster and the firearm, though I have yet to have any rusting problems.

I'll sometimes jog after work in my uniform shorts. 100% Polyester. 1.5 inch leather belt. 4 pockets. I'll wear my Iphone in a horizontal carrier on my left side and a can of dog spray with a belt clip on my right. Almost as comfortable as soccer shorts.

I played soccer and wiffle ball in the yard with kiddies this weekend in soccer shorts tied tight and a Kel-Tec P32 pocket clipped IWB. Forgot it was there.

I'd think with an untucked soccer jersey you could carry OWB and still be "concealed". Easily done in polyester uniform shorts with a belt. Of course I'm a 6ft 165 lb man with narrow hips, broad shoulders, and an ample supply of polyester uniform shorts. :)

• Admin Team

I modified a couple pairs of under armor Lycra shorts that I wear under my running shorts. I cut a horizontal slot in each leg of the shorts and reinforced the opening. I sewed a piece of neoprene in behind the cut and then stitched the appropriate shape for my pistol. I don't usually wear a shirt, so I carry my weapon on one leg and spyderco military / light on the other. Super comfortable and no movement at all.

Guest rabidrhino

very cool, especially coming from MacGyver....

I modified a couple pairs of under armor Lycra shorts that I wear under my running shorts. I cut a horizontal slot in each leg of the shorts and reinforced the opening. I sewed a piece of neoprene in behind the cut and then stitched the appropriate shape for my pistol. I don't usually wear a shirt, so I carry my weapon on one leg and spyderco military / light on the other. Super comfortable and no movement at all.
Guest fourspdRAT
gun_neckchain_rigs

Never tried one but the idea is interesting.

The horizontal carry looks fine, but the vertical carry just worries me. Something about the muzzle of a gun pointed right at my head just disturbs me.