WTF? at Knoxville Expo Center gunshow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84
It was the young kid closest to the consession stand who took the ammo and the older officer next to him who said it was and expensive lesson.

I handed him the mag because I didn't expect it. I have shown other officers at previous shows my ammo, my holster as well as some other tactical stuff, all without incident. That is why I didn't think anything of it. It was almost like a HAHA we got another one type aura about it as they smiled at each other.

Dolomite

If that kid had short blonde hair and was in white uniform, I ran into him in the bathroom and he was a total prick in the bathroom while there was bunch of other guys in there, he sure did show his @$$, I went in there and he was the first person I saw upon entry and he gave me a arrogant look but I just ignored him.

He was selling loose ammo in Zip lock bags when i left at around 5 ish!

LOL

There are some really hot handloads in with the bunch then. I loaded some 9mm with 147 grain to 1200+ FPS.

Dolomite

If that kid had short blonde hair and was in white uniform, I ran into him in the bathroom and he was a total prick in the bathroom while there was bunch of other guys in there, he sure did show his @$$, I went in there and he was the first person I saw upon entry and he gave me a arrogant look but I just ignored him.

That is him

Seriously, if I did that to someone while I was working, I'd expect to receive a complaint. And with how clear the law is, I might even get a few days off without pay. It'd be an "expensive lesson".

In real world, if you wanted to make a scene, there are all kinds of reasons why a policeman cannot confiscate your personal property when you are not being held for questioning or charged with a crime.

I don't even think that under the guise of the "temporarily disarming you for safety reasons" would fly here either.

The crap he pulls about private sales is total BS, and has no basis in the law whatsoever.

He pulled this on our own BlueMax at the previous show at the Expo.

All in all, methinks the older tall white haired cop needs some serious behavior modification of some sort.

- OS

If that is how it happened those Police Officers committed a crime. It may well be that loaded ammo is not allowed inside, but that doesn’t mean they can steal your ammo.

I can honestly say if that happened to me I would go the Police Department HQ for whatever department they work for and say that I want to make a citizens complaint for theft. They can’t arrest you for doing that, and you will get action real fast.

I wonder what they did with all the ammunition they stole?

In real world, if you wanted to make a scene, there are all kinds of reasons why a policeman cannot confiscate your personal property when you are not being held for questioning or charged with a crime.

I don't even think that under the guise of the "temporarily disarming you for safety reasons" would fly here either.

The crap he pulls about private sales is total BS, and has no basis in the law whatsoever.

He pulled this on our own BlueMax at the previous show at the Expo.

All in all, methinks the older tall white haired cop needs a dose of ummm, well, maybe physical therapy would be best all around.

- OS

That is why I suggest filing an official complaint with the department. It may not get results, but it would be the most effective choice given the options. I agree that many pr!cks need some physical therapy, and it sure would make you feel better, but it's not gonna end well for anyone. :-\

Same dude who said he would arrest folks for smoking in front of building, since its a no smoking area!

For f*&^s sake!! Do they have TCA books up there? It's starting to sound like Memphis PD...

... I agree that many pr!cks need some physical therapy, and it sure would make you feel better, but it's not gonna end well for anyone. :-\

Yeah, notice I tweaked my post to less bellicose suggestion, but that's okay, "physical therapy" works, too.

I was thinking of hiring it out through Big Newt in Cocke County, though. ;)

- OS

I may go back tomorrow to get names and such. I already contacted RK Gunshows to let them know that their security stole my property under guise of safety.

Dolomite

You don’t really need to go back and get names unless you want to. If they are KPD Officers and you make a complaint, whoever investigates it will find out who they are. It won’t be any big secret and I can assure you that you won’t have to make their case for them.

I may go back tomorrow to get names and such. I already contacted RK Gunshows to let them know that their security stole my property under guise of safety.

Dolomite

Yeah, I meant to get the white haired cop's name, myself, but forgot.

Even though nothing happened to me personally (yet), pissed me off after what he did to BlueMax, then I see him pull same stunt on two guys who were IN the building, but not in the expo floor proper part.

Like it makes any diff.

He seems to think there's some magic happening inside the expo that makes all private sales legal but outside they are all criminal.

I could actually understand if the show promoter really wants to minimize peer to peer transactions, but his isn't the cop's premise. Only that he'll arrest you for illegally selling weapons for doing it outside the expo floor.

And since it's not a crime, even if the show promoter wanted you removed from property, ok, if you don't go you could be tagged for trespassing; but there's NOTHING illegal about location of selling the weapon.

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe

I can not believe they would not let you take it back to your car,:biglol:

I at that point would have been getting pretty hot and would have demanded an explanation as to why not.....Cant be sure how that would have turned out but I sure would have been asking and asking for a supervisor.

MY SD ammo runs a bit over a buck a round and with 17 in the mag that is 20 dollar bill being taken from me. The shows are already over priced these days.

All the more reason to not go to the shows. The last one we went to in Jackson I lucked up and got a parking spot right dead in the front of the main entrance, so I just left everything locked in the van.

The show still stunk....;)

Supafly, you did see the at least 4 signs in the ticket booth window that said NO LOADED CLIPS and the at least 4 signs on the entrance door that said NO LOADED MAGAZINES, right?

Not defending what the pricks did at all, but signage like that is very clear to me. ;) You may have gotten away with it in the past, but I would never even try. That's just me. Screw "posted compliant with state code", the meaning is clear and today you got the Barney Fife, little punk cop wanna be treatment.

I would be complaining to someone. RK Shows for one. Does anyone know if those guys are "on-duty" KPD or moonlighting?

They are not on duty or at least not is the normal duty uniform KPD wears. I believe they are part of the special events team that are a seperate group of officers that do security for various events in the city. I have seen them in the past at different venues. They are generally retired officers, reserve officers or cadets.

As far as the signs, no I didn't notice them. Mostly because there are always signs saying different stuff on them and I probably tuned the no magazine signs out the same way I tune out the other signs proclaiming stuff that has nothing to do with the show. Yeah it was my bad for entering with a loaded magazine but when I asked to take it to my car they refused and kept my ammo. I would have gladly taken it to the car.

Dolomite

Complaints can be made by any person who is a victim, a witness, or who has knowledge of alleged police misconduct.

HOW DOES ONE MAKE A COMPLAINT?

A complaint may be filed by telephone, consultation, and/or scheduling an apppointment with the PARC Exective Director at (865) 215-3869 (865) 215-3869 . Another method may be in writing to Ms. Carol Scott, Executive Director, Police Advisory and Review Committee, Room 537, City/County Building, Knoxville, TN 37902.

If you think you have been unjustly treated, respectfully request to speak to the officer’s supervisor or request the officer's name and badge number and file a complaint with the KPD Internal Affairs Unit at 865-215-7237 865-215-7237 or PARC at 865-215-3869 865-215-3869 .

Stevie Wonder would be able to see the signage saying no loaded mags, no loaded clips, no loose ammo. They are there everytime.

Claiming ignorance of them signs is fairly weak. I ain't buying it.

I have no problem with it if someone wants to carry and does not let on they are doing so. Just keep it holstered and concealed for Pete's sake.

I am not defending the guy keeping your bullets though. Clearly you should be allowed to put it back in your car.

Guest Bluemax

There is somethng about the Agave cactus which loosens the tongue or fingers as the case may be. First and formost I have to give OldShoot a plug for his response to my situation as well as his reference to Don Quixote and for using the word bellicose in his post.

With that being said, I also have to question not only the legality but also the purpose of these rules.

In my particular situation, I had paid for my tkt as well as had my gun checked and rendered unfireable by means of a cabletie. I had walked the floor and decided to go outside: both for fresh air and to watch the old guys or "pinhookers" as they used to be called. Once finding a spot, I set my case down with open lid, solicited no one but when some one would stop by with a question or ask to look at either of the two hand guns:; I gladly obliged them. Soon afterwards, one of the LEO/ Security gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and I quote, said " Put it up or go inside or I'm gonna run you in". I did the commom sense thing and complied but after thinking about it went inside and asked the gentleman " All do respect Sir, but I have paid for my tkt, had my gun checked, and am on the same property that the gun show is being conducted on...why can't I stand outside. After a little stuttering and rambling, this guy tells me that I can't sell outside because it's to easy to pass off stolen property outside.. Sounds good except they don't run the numbers on the guns so why is there any difference??? Last of all they do empty mags in a cup at the table out of a concern for safety. Do they have a legal right to keep it ??? Gut check feeling tells me NO !!

They are not real Knoxville police they are rent a cops .I am a vendor at this show if the rent a cop saw my loaded mag he would take it as well .The show at the Zoo has real Knoxville police as the city requires it but at the expo just rent a cop

They are not real Knoxville police they are rent a cops .I am a vendor at this show if the rent a cop saw my loaded mag he would take it as well .The show at the Zoo has real Knoxville police as the city requires it but at the expo just rent a cop

That makes sense. KPD does not wear white shirts ever, nor does KCSD.

What do you vend at the Knoxville fun show?