WTF? at Knoxville Expo Center gunshow

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going tomorrow for a few minutes in the morning. I'll try my best to get both officers names and badge numbers for you. No promises but I'll try.

They are not KPD or any other LE. They are rent-a-cops. It was my fault for making that leep and sorry for any of the confusion. I have already email RK Gunshows about it.

If my wife thinks I have a girlfriend on the side and notifies my agency, they'll open an "ethics investigation". I've never seen it happen at my agency, but I've heard of Shelby County deputies getting suspended for ethics violations for infidelity. Don't know it for fact, though.

I seen it while working for KCSO. One of the duputies had a girlfriend who worked for EMS. They had a long running relationship. What brought it to light is when the officer said he was going hunting in one of the national forests. When his wife couldn't get a hold of him on the phone for a few days she contacted the SO. When no one in the SO could get a hold of them they started searching for him. After a day of searching with helo's and such he turned up in a hotel with his girlfriend.

He was taken off the road and put back in the jails. This happened in 2003 I think and he was still in the jails when I left in September of 2005. I honestly can't remember his name but he was a pretty nice guy, kind of high strung but still not a bad fellow.

Dolomite

Character matters. Especially in a job where it separates public servant from criminal. You really don't think a guy who cheats, steals, and lies to his own wife and family would be completely honest and forthright in his dealings with people he cares nothing about? You do realize infidelity is one of the leading causes for murder. Especially when it involves LE.

It doesn’t matter if they were cops, rent-a-cops or members of the Knights of Columbus; he was the victim of a theft. Go to the HQ of whoever’s jurisdiction it is and make a theft complaint.

I see you are a policeman you should know that the TCA allows for some strange things on privite property .

I’m not expert on Tennessee law, but I find that hard to believe. They could have refused to let him enter, they could have allowed him to dispose of the rounds if he didn’t want to take them back to his car, but they can’t just take them. They have value and that is theft.

Most any venue has strange rules like that and it is suported by TCA .In your city the Liberty bowl is like that any coolers or beer confiscated again I don't like it but thats the way it is in this state

They will allow you to throw it away, return it to your car, or leave. Unless they are seizing it as evidence or violation of statute those are the only choices they have.

Guest Bluemax

It is hard to believe but they seize any ammo which is loaded in a magazine or firearm. When you enter look for cups sitting on the table where the check the firearms. I was at the same show a few months and one of the guards told me about a female who brought a handgun in which; not only was she unaware that it was loaded but had no idea how to unload. It was the kinda stocky white haired guard and he held up the cup and also had a box under the table with all kinds of loose ammo in it

Supafly, you did see the at least 4 signs in the ticket booth window that said NO LOADED CLIPS and the at least 4 signs on the entrance door that said NO LOADED MAGAZINES, right?

So, if you are waiting in line, and prior to coming to the door, if you thumb the rounds out of you magazine and drop them in your pocket in plain view of the cat at the desk, is carrying loose ammo on your person legal per the posting at the door? Reckon he would attempt to take that ammo?

At the last show I brought my Kahr to look for a holster. I left the loaded magazine in the car. The officer asked if I had a magazine with it, and I said no explained why I brought the gun without the magazine. He made me empty my pockets and pat my back pockets before he would let me in. It pissed me off a little to say the least. I understand the principle, but it isn't like they don't sell magazines and loaded ammo inside the show.

At the last show I brought my Kahr to look for a holster. I left the loaded magazine in the car. The officer asked if I had a magazine with it, and I said no explained why I brought the gun without the magazine. He made me empty my pockets and pat my back pockets before he would let me in. It pissed me off a little to say the least. I understand the principle, but it isn't like they don't sell magazines and loaded ammo inside the show.

WOW :love:

Was it "Horseshoe Hairy" the rent-a-douche ?

That's what I've nicknamed him because of that horseshoe ring of hair he has left. He's the stocky white haired guy ya'll are referring to. I've had my run in's with him on more than one occasion including 1 yesterday at the show.

The little feller with the barney outfit asked me the same thing yesterday as he put that "disabling device" :P on my ccw. I told him it was in the truck, smiled, and walked on. I normally carry that S.O.B. look on my face so I guess they assumed I was telling the truth or decided not to pat me down, lol. If they did decide to pat me down after I told them where it was then I would have made sure to make it as unpleasant for them as possible. I'm not a liar, the mag was in the truck. But patting me down even after I answer honestly makes me out like I am a liar and that REALLY pisses me off.

Horseshoe Hairy is an arrogant P.O.S. and now he's gonna train beanpole bob to be just like him.

Guest stmccann
[/b]

And those cops would have a good reason to take ya in for disorderly conduct....just sayin'

B-Fing S. Theft is theft. Me objecting to it is not 'disorderly'.

They stole from this man by using their 'authority'. They should be ashamed, then fired.

Just sayin.

Have been to only 2 gunshows in the past five years. Both of those times I swore never to go to another one. Have been to a lot of shows about 25 years ago. Times have changed and not for the better.

Reading posts like this one just reaffirms my decision.

Saw the bill boards in K advertising this show. Glad I did not go.

Guest RevScottie
Stevie Wonder would be able to see the signage saying no loaded mags, no loaded clips, no loose ammo. They are there everytime.

Claiming ignorance of them signs is fairly weak. I ain't buying it.

Mike you may not buy it but I was there yesterday and honestly didnt notice the signs. Walked straight up to the ticket window and paid my money. I don't normaly look for postings at a ticket booth. The front door was propped open with 4 or 5 people in line waitng to check guns. Not saying the signs weren't there but I did not notice them. I had left my mag in the car but the young kid gave me the third degree about where it was. A simple answer of "No I do not have the magazine with me" is a sufficient answer. It is none of his business if its in my car, at home or whatever.

The show had no right to take the OP's personal property. Taking it back to his vehicle should be perfectly acceptible. The promoters of the show need to realize that people need to be treated like what they are...CUSTOMERS. Having smart a rent a cops probably isn't the best way to interface with the customer.

Ok. Why doesn't everyone here take two minutes and drop an email bi*chin' bout the sorry RAC's working the show? Pledge in the mail not to return to R&K and explain how you will only patronize their competition (Bill Goodman etc.) Let them know!

If they recieve 1/2 the negative responses dealing with this issue as there are posts in this thread they may realize they have a problem and address the situation.

R.K. Shows, Inc.

PO Box 334

Manchester, IA 52057

Phone: 563-927-8176

Fax: 563-927-8207

e-Mail: kehrli8@n-connect.net

Done ...

Not going to hold my breath.

R.K. Shows, Inc.

PO Box 334

Manchester, IA 52057

Phone: 563-927-8176

Fax: 563-927-8207

e-Mail: kehrli8@n-connect.net

To whom ...

Look, I was going to make a polite letter expressing my displeasure and contempt for an experience that happened to a friend of mine. It graphically underscores why I don't attend gunshows anymore.

I work part of the week in Knoxville TN and the rest of the time in Chattanooga, TN. Saw your billboards advertising the event. I was tempted but remembered my last experiences with gunshows and just shook my head and decided not to go.

Well, my friend did go and for one reason or another did not see the signs saying that loaded magazines were not allowed. The two rent-a-cop clowns you had policing the event confiscated his ammunition without giving him a chance to return to his car.

Let me see now ... price of the ticket ... a magazine full of high quality self defense ammo worth almost twenty bucks ... and the arrogant handling of a situation that has absolutely no excuse to happen.

Am I glad I did not go!

I grew up going to gunshows. Met interesting people and it fueled my passion for firearms, reloading and shooting. Got good deals and sold good deals. It has changed and for the last five years have gone to only a couple of shows. Each time I swore I would never go back to another one.

Nothing has changed and I really don't believe that anything will change.

Only reason I am writing was that your address (posted above) was posted on a forum and the suggestion was made to make a constructive complaint to see if anything can happen. Not holding my breath, doing it as a sense of historical positive experiences where times were less restrictive and people formed a community around a common passion and love for the sport.

Your two "clowns" were described to me as a white haired gentleman <rolling my eyes> and a powerhungry 23 year old beanpole that was obviously drunk with his "authority".

With this said, I do want you to know that the last 8 firearms I purchased were either face to face or with local dealers or gunbroker.com. The deals I got ranged from great to a fair price for what I bought. The last two gunshows I attended were almost comedic in what they had to offer and the prices asked for.

My question to you is why should I even attend one of your events?

It is not like you have the only option available anymore. With the internet and the educated consumers that exist in todays marketplace, are you really providing a service that will last?

The rudeness and hostility from the people you hired just makes it more compelling to defend my position.

Hope this gives you something to think about.

Edited by Currently
Added copy of email ... <shrugs>
Guest RevScottie

Oh by the way the young guy kept flicking the safety on and off on a little AMT 380 I had and couldn't figure out why the magazine wouldn't fall out. I politely explained that was the safety and he might have better luck if he tried using the mag release on the bottom of the gun. :D

Oh by the way the young guy kept flicking the safety on and off on a little AMT 380 I had and couldn't figure out why the magazine wouldn't fall out. I politely explained that was the safety and he might have better luck if he tried using the mag release on the bottom of the gun. :P

;)

I just wanted to add that these security dorks should have been letting people take the ammo back to their cars if they wanted to, they have no right to confiscate it. You have the option to not come in, take it back to your car, or give up the ammo its your choice they dont have the authority to take anything from you unless you surrender it, same as dumping it in the trash. And KPD only works chilhowee park shows.

I spoke with Rex today Idon't think that 1 ammo will be lost again or the young security person will be back again.While this was going on on the phone the security officer in charge got up in my face and started screaming what is wrong with me all the while Iwas talking to Rex .This company KCSD has a real problem Iwill report to the state in the morning . I also checked about keeping your ammo it is theft of proprety Irelayed this to the head secuity guard wearing captians bars he started screaming bring it on and grabed my arm what a jerk

Guest TargetShooter84
I spoke with Rex today Idon't think that 1 ammo will be lost again or the young security person will be back again.While this was going on on the phone the security officer in charge got up in my face and started screaming what is wrong with me all the while Iwas talking to Rex .This company KCSD has a real problem Iwill report to the state in the morning . I also checked about keeping your ammo it is theft of proprety Irelayed this to the head secuity guard wearing captians bars he started screaming bring it on and grabed my arm what a jerk

What a douchebag he was...