WNPT gubernatorial Candidate Forum tues.

Guest PapaB

Guest PapaB

Candidate Forum: The Republican Edition

Tuesday, May 25 -- 7:00pm tp 8:30pm

Republican gubernatorial candidates Bill Haslam, Joe Kirkpatrick, Ron Ramsey and Zach Wamp face off. Eric Barnes, publisher of the Memphis Daily News, is the moderator.

It'll be interesting to see what they say about 2nd amendment issues.

I'm going to set my B.S. alarm to see who triggers it.:D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU
Evidently at the Tea Party's gubernatorial forum Haslam got nailed over his membership to MAIG and how he voted FOR the Knoxville park's ban. Hope some people can go and help nail him to the wall again.

I've been searching for video but am coming up empty. :eek: I'd like to see the body language of those being interviewed.

Unless something drastic happens my vote is going to Ron Ramsey.

As Bredesen's Lieutenant Governor, I had pretty much written him off. As of now I'm undecided but leaning toward Wamp, admittedly with not a whole lot of research.

Care to tell me why I'm wrong? That's seriously not a smart *** comment. I just couldn't think of a better way to word it.

As Bredesen's Lieutenant Governor, I had pretty much written him off. As of now I'm undecided but leaning toward Wamp, admittedly with not a whole lot of research.

Care to tell me why I'm wrong? That's seriously not a smart *** comment. I just couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Well what do you mean by "Bredesen's Lieutenant Governor"?

It's not like Bredesen had anything to do with Ramesy being Lt. Governor. The Lt. Governor is also the Speaker of the Senate and is simply elected by the members of the Senate.

So if you don't like Ramesy because of some perceived tie to Bredesen, maybe a bit more research is in order. (Not trying to be a smart ***)

For the record Ramesy is my choice (for now anyway) too.

Wamp seems to have no principles. When he was first running for congress, he said he'd only do two terms. He's done more than two. Pretty much it seems like he will say whatever it takes to get elected. He votes more conservative than Lamar and Corker, but it not nearly as conservative as Ramsey. I will, however, take Wamp over Haslam (even though Haslam goes to my church.) The more and more I read about Haslam, the more I am worried. He seems to have no principles, and when it comes to the 2d amendment, is a bold face lier.

Ramsey hasn't had anything come out about him that I dislike. He seems to vote VERY conservatively, huge gun supporter, and a small business owner. Yes, he's been in Nashville for a while, but I don't feel like he's been taken in like so many good people.

Matthew

The only thing I disagree with Ramsey over is the HCP database. I would accept his view on the database (no public publishing), but would rather have it totally private it since it's a right and not a privilege (AKA: Driving)

But let's be honest, why don't we publish the name and address of everyone who's bought a big screen TV? Seems like the criminals would like to get their hands on that info also...;)

Matthew

Well what do you mean by "Bredesen's Lieutenant Governor"?

It's not like Bredesen had anything to do with Ramesy being Lt. Governor. The Lt. Governor is also the Speaker of the Senate and is simply elected by the members of the Senate.

So if you don't like Ramesy because of some perceived tie to Bredesen, maybe a bit more research is in order. (Not trying to be a smart ***)

For the record Ramesy is my choice (for now anyway) too.

I didn't know that. I ASSumed that the Lt. Gov. was like the VP, chosen by the Gov. I sit corrected. That makes a HUGE difference.

Wamp seems to have no principles. When he was first running for congress, he said he'd only do two terms. He's done more than two. Pretty much it seems like he will say whatever it takes to get elected. He votes more conservative than Lamar and Corker, but it not nearly as conservative as Ramsey. I will, however, take Wamp over Haslam (even though Haslam goes to my church.) The more and more I read about Haslam, the more I am worried. He seems to have no principles, and when it comes to the 2d amendment, is a bold face lier.

Ramsey hasn't had anything come out about him that I dislike. He seems to vote VERY conservatively, huge gun supporter, and a small business owner. Yes, he's been in Nashville for a while, but I don't feel like he's been taken in like so many good people.

Matthew

Thanks Matthew. I will look into both of their records more in depth.

Tennessee Governor's Race, 2010

This link might help some. It includes questions on the Second Amendment.

"See where each gubernatorial candidate stands on the topics that matter to Tennesseans."

Excellent site, thanks for the link.

I am however confused by a statement by Haslam:

I’m proud of the fact that Knoxville is the only big city in the state where there is no criminal penalty for legal gun permit holders carrying in parks.

Did Knoxville not decide to keep an old law on their books which made it illegal to carry in parks?

Excellent site, thanks for the link.

I am however confused by a statement by Haslam:

Did Knoxville not decide to keep an old law on their books which made it illegal to carry in parks?

Notice that he says that there is "no criminal penalty", not that it is legal.

Ok, anyone see the whole thing? If so, please report. I just saw the last 20 minutes and the only 2A thing I heard was from a very nervous Joe Kirkpatrick. It was good: he'd abolish the need for an HCP. Too bad he came off as kind of flaky and very nervous. Heard none of the others really say anything on the 2A.

Haslam was as slick as ever.

Guest 6.8 AR

Matthew

That's the way it stacks up for me. Ramsey seems more of an individual

and less of a politician, relatively speaking. He is my first choice.:D

The only thing that concerns me is that so many in TN are politically ignorant - they vote solely for the candidate with the most and best commercials.

Asked about Ramsey, most will respond with, "Who's Ron Ramsey?"

IMO, Ramsey will pull just enough votes from Wamp to give Haslam the nomination...

And that sux.

The only thing that concerns me is that so many in TN are politically ignorant - they vote solely for the candidate with the most and best commercials.

That is why it absolutely critical that we all point out how Wamp voted for TARP, how Haslam has been a hypocrite on both gun and fiscal issues, and that we mention Ron Ramsey's name in a positive manner. A personal reference from someone you respect is worth more than a hundred commercials.