Worlds Smallest cannon

Guest TnRebel

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that's gonna call BS on this?

There's no way that little cannon is putting a hole completely through an empty soda can without even knocking the can over.

And there's NO WAY that it completely shattered that mug. You can see how little power the cannon has by how far it moves after firing.

Edited by dariks
sp

There's no way that little cannon is putting a hole completely through an empty soda can without even knocking the can over.

Have you ever shot a BB or pellet gun?

Wish I had a little metal lathe.......that looks like fun! I still want to build a bowling ball cannon.

Lathe nothing....this could be made with a drill and $1.25 worth of materials at Lowes.

Yes...you probably are. One could almost do the same thing with a BB and a straw.

AOW, i hope he has a stamp after advertising on youtube.

very cool tho.

edit:

snip......And there's NO WAY that it completely shattered that mug. You can see how little power the cannon has by how far it moves after firing.

that is a good point. Where is the equal and opposite,(Newtons 3rd Law). The kick doesnt seem to equal the power to shatter that mug. I could be over analyzing.

Edited by gotigers
AOW, i hope he has a stamp after advertising on youtube.

very cool tho.

edit:

that is a good point. Where is the equal and opposite,(Newtons 3rd Law). The kick doesnt seem to equal the power to shatter that mug. I could be over analyzing.

3rd law will still apply simply because the amount of energy that pushed the cannon backwards was equal to the amount of energy transferred to the shot.

The shot, being round, impacted the glass at a point that is very small relative to the size of the shot. Draw a curve against a line and you will see how it effectively reduces surface area to the point where shattering the glass is very easy. Glass, as you know, is very hard and brittle. This was not plate glass either and appeared to be a highly tensioned piece. Shattered like tempered glass rather than a window pane.

You can do the very same with a piece of tungsten carbide or very hard material. Tap it against a car windshield and see what happens. Doesn't take much force at all!

To all the naysayers....good grief this isn't rocket science.

If you have 10 minutes you can recreate this very same experiment in your basement. Get a tube, bb, and empty a .22 or 9mm casing if you don't have the powder readily available. 250-400 fps is very easy to produce without a barrel at all.

If that seems too complicated for whatever reason put a straw and a BB at the end of the blower attachment on your air compressor....if using a BB it will break skin. If using a piece of lead or steel shot it will do exactly what you are seeing on this video.

Jeez guys...didn't you tinker with stuff like this as a child. I think I did this when I was like 11...so did every other person I knew.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW, all seriousness, would it be legal to own something like that?

If it would be legal to own, what would someone have to do to own it, and then where/how could someone get one?

I would really like to have one, but only if legal.

Yes...you can legally make one that shoots bowling balls if you so desired.

This "mini" cannon is little more than a piece of metal with a big hole drilled in it for the bore, and a little hole drilled in it for the fuze. One could theoretically be made with little more than 2 pulls of a drill press. Make sure to use black powder rather than smokeless....otherwise you will shoot your eye out :-)

Guest Lester Weevils
Yes...you can legally make one that shoots bowling balls if you so desired.

Thanks, Pie

Is there an upper limit of legal size? Hmmm....

000.jpg

Actually....as long as it uses black powder, has a smooth bore, and has a fuze rather than primer ignition system....one could make a cannon that launches 55 gallon drums full of concrete if they so choose (don't try this - you will blow yourself up)

Guest Lester Weevils
Actually....as long as it uses black powder, has a smooth bore, and has a fuze rather than primer ignition system....one could make a cannon that launches 55 gallon drums full of concrete if they so choose (don't try this - you will blow yourself up)

Thanks Pie. Interesting.

A mini-cannon or even one the size of that Cabelas example, might be a fun brass project on a mini-lathe.