FL Honeymoon carry..

In august, i plan to travel to Key Largo for my honeymoon (pending oil spill situation.) My future wife and myself are both Tn HCP holders. I need to know what i need to do to be safe in FL. I still have time to submit for a out of state permit from FL if needed. I will be traveling via allegiant air. Does anyone have feedback on their handgun policy? If this was a typical vacation i would do what they said on the website and move forward but....its a HONEYMOON!!! I dont want any problems at the airport.

i always have the option of buying the sig 238 while i am in the state. Then having it shipped back to my FFL here in TN. Its not the easiest way but i will consider it as a option if necessary. Thanks in advance for the feedback. It is much appreciated

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak to the handgun issue, but you will enjoy Key Largo. We were in Ft' Lauderdale for our honeymoon and traveled down to snorkel on the reef. Beautiful. Also take a trip in the mangrove forest. Every time I've been we've seen manatees, dolphins, and all sorts of other cool stuff. We ate at a place called the Italian Fisherman that was really good and had a beautiful deck seating that if you time right you can watch a beautiful sunset while at dinner. Key West is neat to see, but bear in mind it is the homosexual capital of weird. There's some crazy stuff going on down there.:D

... Key West is neat to see, but bear in mind it is the homosexual capital of weird...

Key West and San Francisco are GREAT places for a single straight man, I can attest from personal experience! :D

'Course, OP is bringing nookie with him. :D

Your TN permits are fine there, of course.

Concealed only.

For details of no no's and whatnot:

Handgunlaw.us

NRA-ILA ::

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

I don't get that about buying a handgun in Florida. They couldn't put it in your hand there.

- OS

thanks smith. The rainbow pride is why i made the decision to stay in key largo....in addition to the sweet marriott resort there. Key west will be a one/two day destination. I have been there before and know what to expect. If you can get past the "culture issues" the town itself has lots of history. I want her to go on some ghost tours and experience a few tequila filled nights in key west. But, i gotta figure out the best way to get a personal defense weapon in the state without issue.

If no other option, i would buy a well used glock/sig in Fl on arrival and trade it in for cash or a transfer to TN before leaving. I dont want to be unarmed but i REALLY dont want problems at the airport Its the honeymoon...i dont want to sleep on the couch

In august, i plan to travel to Key Largo for my honeymoon I need to know what i need to do to be safe in FL.

I don't know, maybe some sort of birth control????

(sorry, couldn't resist. In August, it'll be my 25th anniversary.......6 kids later, and.....well......have a good time!!) :D:D

well...guess that isnt a option. Thanks ohshoot.

Can i carry one of my grandfathers pistols (legal resident of FL) legally in FL while on this trip?

What are the odds i run into issues at the airport transporting my G26? I have never flown with a pistol before so i am somewhat uneasy about the situation. Is it common practice? maybe i paranoid?

well...guess that isnt a option. Thanks ohshoot.

Can i carry one of my grandfathers pistols legally in FL while on this trip?

What are the odd i run into issues at the airport transporting my G26? I have never flown with a pistol before so i am somewhat uneasy about the situation. Is it common practice? maybe i paranoid?

You can't buy a handgun but in the state of your residence. Federal law.

You could buy one in FL, but all they could do is ship it to your FFL (if they are willing). They can't put it in your hand.

You can carry any pistol, of course.

There is no gun registration in TN, nor any required for your travel.

Just follow the TSA.gov and individual airline checklist on how to case and check in firearms on airlines. People do it all the time.

- OS

Just an option, but you could UPS/FedEx your gun to yourself at the hotel. Since it isn't "transferring" ownership there aren't any FFL issues to deal with. As far as ATF there isn't any issues with shipping it either. Now I wouldn't give any more details than necessary about what you are sending, but it may be an option. Not much different and probably safer than flying with it.

Just an option, but you could UPS/FedEx your gun to yourself at the hotel. Since it isn't "transferring" ownership there aren't any FFL issues to deal with. As far as ATF there isn't any issues with shipping it either. Now I wouldn't give any more details than necessary about what you are sending, but it may be an option. Not much different and probably safer than flying with it.

Well, you could send your luggage that way also, as far as that goes. ;)

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe
Key West and San Francisco are GREAT places for a single straight man, I can attest from personal experience! ;)

'Course, OP is bringing nookie with him. ;)

Your TN permits are fine there, of course.

Concealed only.

For details of no no's and whatnot:

Handgunlaw.us

NRA-ILA ::

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

I don't get that about buying a handgun in Florida. They couldn't put it in your hand there.

- OS

Ahhhhh Shoot.... it seems we have stomped some of the same ground;)

Parrothead.....Folks fly with guns all the time.....go to the TSA website and it is probably a good thing to print out their own rules to show them if you get a NooB. It can go under in a locked (TSA Approved) box in your suitcase. Ammo can go in factory boxes in the same suitcase just not in the locked box. It can be a breeze with a functional airline employee and a PITA with a noob. Also things do disapear from inside luggage:rolleyes:

If you would rather not deal with them you CAN carry your grand dads's gun with your TN permit....as OS said CONCEALED ONLY.

ENJOY and give a shout HELLO to Marathon Key and Boco Chica on the way down for me:)

If you are driving that part DO:chill: SLOW:chill: DOWN:chill: on Big Deer and Litte Deer Key they do mean 25 not 26, or maybe its 35...its been awhile..tooooo long really but do slow down, hitting one of those little deer is really bad JU JU.

It is one beautiful ride but it is 100 miles from Key Largo to Key West.

if you are in Key Largo you would be silly not to go ahead and spend a day in Key West. It is an interesting place to say the least. Don't worry about the gay people there, being gay is not contagious. Get your picture taken at the "90 miles to Cuba" marker on the tip of the island. Be real touristy and eat at Jimmy Buffet's place. If you drink alcohol at all you won't need a gun there for the most part. IIRC most everything we did in the keys kind of involved the stuff.

if you are in Key Largo you would be silly not to go ahead and spend a day in Key West. It is an interesting place to say the least. Don't worry about the gay people there, being gay is not contagious. Get your picture taken at the "90 miles to Cuba" marker on the tip of the island. Be real touristy and eat at Jimmy Buffet's place. If you drink alcohol at all you won't need a gun there for the most part. IIRC most everything we did in the keys kind of involved the stuff.

Yeah, every time I've been to the Keys I drank waay more than I should have, but had a blast. Key West and alcohol really are synonymous ;). Leave your pistol in the car/room. Many have safes nowadays.

Guest boatme99

Parrot, congradulations on your upcoming nuptiuals.

I am a "halfback". I'm still a Fla resident (7 more months untill I have to change to Tn.), you can certainly carry concealed there. Even in restraunts, although you can't sit at the bar or drink alcohol, unless something has changed in the last 18 months.

As for flying, the rules are clear; in checked baggage, unloaded, locked up with a TSA approved lock, and declared.

I would certainly drive if possible. You're good in Ga. and Fla. About a 20-23 hour drive from Nashville area, depending on the Keys traffic. It generally takes me about 18 hrs. to go from here to W. Palm Beach. Yes, it can take 2-3 hours from Miami to key Largo although it's more of a problem in the winter months.

Good luck.

I highly recommend a side trip down to the No Name Pub if you have the time. Hard to find, but worth it! Hint. No, it's not on No Name Key. :(

If you do get there, I take an XL Tee. :D

While down there be sure to try Key Deer chops and Manatee steaks. Yum!

Guest 270win

I'm not a lawyer...but I have flown to south Florida within the past few months on Delta from Memphis. I just used a small hard sided pistol box that is airline approved and two small master locks with keys. I took my 38 snub with me to Florida. You will not be able to express check in your baggage...you'll have to check in with a ticket person at the counter and declare your firearm. I went into the airport with the gun box in my suitcase...told the clerk I had a firearm to declare...pulled the box out...unlocked it....filled out a form...clerk gives you a orange ticket declaring gun unloaded to put in case...you lock up case with unloaded gun and ammo in original box...put case in suitcase...and they run it through the X Ray and you go on your way....you keep the key...oh don't get the TSA locks that TSA can open...get regular master locks...TSA is not supposed to open gun boxes.

It's not a big deal. Just spend fifty bucks on a hard case from Bass Pro...get some little master locks...and you are good to bring your handgun to Florida. Your TN handgun carry permit is good in Florida. No need for a FL license, unless you just want one. You can drink in Florida while carrying....you cannot be in the 'bar' area of a restaurant...or be in a 'bar'. Have a fun trip.

Guest wdb45

Don't know about the airline regs for that one. As a Miami native, until '03, TAKE YOUR WEAPON!!! My daughters carried in the car to school in the '60s & '70s. You will love the Fl Keys and are reasonably safe there. If you fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami get on the turnpike and go all the way to the end in Fl. City, which will exit to US 1 which goes straight to the Keys. Lots of gas, eats, etc. in Fl. City. You will be OK as long as you STAY in "Condition Orange".

Just read some of the other posts and agree, Key West is a must. Fl law regarding carry in restaurants with alcohol is much more sensible than here, basically, as long as the primary business is food, carry is OK.

Edited by wdb45