I understand TN does not require stating you have an HCP if pulled over by an LEO, but I also understand they seem to like to know if you are carrying. Not to mention the anectdotal evidence that it seems to help minimize traffic tickets.

My question is the prevailing opinion of two people in the same vehicle who are carrying when they get pulled over. I would mention my HCP to the LEO, but what about the passneger?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I inform just because I know they'll find out as soon as they run my DL. I wouldn't say anything about my passenger if they were carrying. That's their choice if they want to speak up or not.

My take is, if it's relevant, the LEO will ask for it... to put it in perspective, there is no reason to volunteer to show my driver's license in the event that a LEO wants to see my permit because I am carrying.

Guest db99wj

If I'm driving, I am informing. If I'm riding, I won't say anything until asked. I assume the primary focus is on the driver. Once secondary focus comes to me, than I will inform if I am asked for DL, or if there are any weapons in the car.

Interesting question though for sure. I don't ride with many other people, but I do on occasion with my boss, they know I "can" carry, not sure if they "know" I carry everyday. Never really talked about it. One of the principals has her permit and carries on occasion, if not everyday, might have one in her purse.

Interested in some of the LEO responses on this one. We've talked about the driver 99% of the time.

If I'm driving, I am informing. If I'm riding, I won't say anything until asked. I assume the primary focus is on the driver. Once secondary focus comes to me, than I will inform if I am asked for DL, or if there are any weapons in the car. ...

+1.

What if wife w/o permit is driving and not carrying and I am and she gets a ticket? Do I inform?

Personally since I am not in trouble I won't say anything until such time as the office needs to talk with me and maybe get me out of the vehicle.

*****Just my opinion, I have not taken my class yet nor am I a legal expert.*****

Just a couple weeks ago, I was driving in Clinton, with my wife. Neither of us was carrying. I was stopped for speeding. The officers question was, 'Sir, are there any firearms in the vehicle?" I was able to answer no.

So, I would believe it would be best so answer the question honestly up front with a yes if indeed there is one, and let it proceed down the path that you are the one carrying and you have your permit.

Edited by vontar
*****Just my opinion, I have not taken my class yet nor am I a legal expert.*****

Just a couple weeks ago, I was driving in Clinton, with my wife. Neither of us was carrying. I was stopped for speeding. The officers question was, 'Sir, are there any firearms in the vehicle?" I was able to answer no.

So, I would believe it would be best so answer the question honestly up front with a yes if indeed there is one, and let it proceed down the path that you are the one carrying and you have your permit.

If the officer asked my wife if there were firearms in the car she probably would have looked at me and asked if I was carrying. I cannot say for sure. However at that exact point in time you were asked. If there had been you would have had to answer honestly if you had your permit and produced it upon demand. You are not "obligated" to inform the police officer unless they ask for the permit however it is a good idea.

Had the officer ASKED then that would be different. IF I am just sitting in the passenger seat and he is talking to my wife - why bring it up?

I understand TN does not require stating you have an HCP if pulled over by an LEO, but I also understand they seem to like to know if you are carrying. Not to mention the anectdotal evidence that it seems to help minimize traffic tickets.

My question is the prevailing opinion of two people in the same vehicle who are carrying when they get pulled over. I would mention my HCP to the LEO, but what about the passneger?

Anecdotal evidence never got me out of a thing. The last time I was pulled over, I did not declare HCP status and was not asked. If it ever happens again, I will inform.

Yes, it may be the proper thing to do in announcing your status, but you never know who is pulling you over. That ends that discussion on what an LEO may think or do. Bad form around here, you know.

Why bring the passenger into the situation? He or she is not at fault for you getting pulled over, depending on the circumstance. ;) Is the passenger usually brought into simple traffic violations or does the hypothetical situation involve something more?

Edited by Garufa

With the crazy disarm law we have here in TN, I'd just not inform... Frankly, I'm not sure I'd answer the question if the officer asked (I would NOT lie, just avoid the question)...

Frankly having somebody handling my firearms who I don't know and who may or may not be properly trained on those models of firearms concerns me a great deal.

Again, I wouldn't lie to the officer... but I'm for sure not telling him about somebody else carrying... and probably with the law how it's currently written won't tell him about myself either...

I can just see a ND happening having a dead officer laying on the side of the road and having to try and explain to his buddies who show up he shot himself while trying to secure my firearms for 'safety' reasons.... no thanks!

Guest peacexxl
With the crazy disarm law we have here in TN, I'd just not inform... Frankly, I'm not sure I'd answer the question if the officer asked (I would NOT lie, just avoid the question)...

Frankly having somebody handling my firearms who I don't know and who may or may not be properly trained on those models of firearms concerns me a great deal.

Again, I wouldn't lie to the officer... but I'm for sure not telling him about somebody else carrying... and probably with the law how it's currently written won't tell him about myself either...

I can just see a ND happening having a dead officer laying on the side of the road and having to try and explain to his buddies who show up he shot himself while trying to secure my firearms for 'safety' reasons.... no thanks![/quote]

I've seen this response in a few posts of this nature. Makes me wonder what kind of "hyper exotics" some of you are carrying. I know LEOs aren't necessarily trained extensively on ALL firearms, but isn't it mostly about keep your finger off the trigger and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction? How complicated is dropping the mag and clearing the chamber on anything made in the last 50 years or so?

I'm sure my ignorance is showing with these questions but that just seems like an odd statement to me.

I will say it again. I am not going to lie to LEO.

Right now, I do not have my permit.

I plan to take my class next month.

However, when I have my HCP and if I I am carrying, I will answer the question with a yes, sir. I don't want him/her to have any surprises.

I would bet, if you lie to a LEO once and get caught in the lie, you will get the ticket, however if you are totally honest and upfront with them there is a chance you might only get a warning, depending on what they stopped you for.

When I was stopped in Clinton, first time I had been stopped in over 10 years I only got a warning to slow down.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

If the passenger is my wife (HCP holder as well) then most likely I would explain to the officer that we are both carrying. If the passenger is one of the friends that I have then I will leave it up to them to disclose as they see fit.

heres the deal from a LEO perepective. Traffic stops are the most dangerous thing we do. Disarming the HCP holder is just a way to insure everyones safety. Once your disarmed I have a little less to worry about. Also the whole point of a carry permit is to protect yourself and loved ones, While your stoped the LEO is protecting you so just tell us, well temporaroly take possesion of your weopon(s) and return them to you at the completion of the stop. DOnt wait till we ask always to tell us. We will know most of the time the moment we run your information. At that point your being scrutinized and the wron movement may cause us to draw a weopon on you. I personally would like for annyone in the vehicle who is carrying to tell me, it just improves everyones safety.

heres the deal from a LEO perepective. Traffic stops are the most dangerous thing we do. Disarming the HCP holder is just a way to insure everyones safety. Once your disarmed I have a little less to worry about. Also the whole point of a carry permit is to protect yourself and loved ones, While your stoped the LEO is protecting you so just tell us, well temporaroly take possesion of your weopon(s) and return them to you at the completion of the stop. DOnt wait till we ask always to tell us. We will know most of the time the moment we run your information. At that point your being scrutinized and the wron movement may cause us to draw a weopon on you. I personally would like for annyone in the vehicle who is carrying to tell me, it just improves everyones safety.

Some of the very reasons I don't inform without being asked...

I'm sorry but you're saying that you're legally obligated and responsible should some harm come to us while we're stopped and disarmed? Since we both know that is not the case, maybe I'd just rather keep my gun and protect myself and my family :)

I'm just curious why as a LEO are you concerned about a HCP holder with a weapon? From a statical point of view it would seem that a we're the least likely to commit a serious crime...

Also, just out of curiosity, when you do disarm a HCP holder, do you run the weapons serial number? Is this SOP for your department?

I'm with Fallguy on this one, until the law is changed to require some valid reason to disarm HCP holders, I'm personally not going to inform... I won't lie, but I won't inform. Truth is it will probably never come up, I've not been pulled over for a traffic violation in 10 or 12 years, and seriously doubt that is going to change anytime soon (knock on wood)...