Took my son's 10/22 ammo testing today...

So far I like it.

Tried some different kinds of ammo through my son's E.R. Shaw 18" Stainless Barrel. I didn't get any FTE with the VQ exrtactor.

FILE0288.jpg

What worked:

CCI Green Tag, Blazer, Federal 325 TGP and 550 bulk.

What didn't work out:

Winchester Xtreme HV and Remington "Match Target"

I know 25 yards isn't much of a real test but the FOP outdoor range was being used by Jackson's Police Dept. (2 days in a row) so I went to the indoor range. Also this isn't a very good test because the benchrest I was using was a plastic cleaning station and wasn't very sturdy. AND the scope is just a loaner from my Gamo Whisper air rifle.

Anyhoo....some results.

IMAGE_173.jpg

Not a real good representation here. I rushed through this one and didn't have a sturdy position on the rest.

IMAGE_174.jpg

IMAGE_175.jpgCCI Green Tag

IMAGE_176.jpg

IMAGE_178.jpg

IMAGE_179.jpg

I guess this Winchester would be better in a faster twist barrel.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMAGE_179.jpg

I guess this Winchester would be better in a faster twist barrel.

Well, heck, 1640 fps and only 32 grains.

I'm surprised it doesn't vaporize before it gets to the target. :tinfoil:

I shot a box of Stingers through mine once, they weren't very consistent either. The Velocitor is the only "hyper" round I've tried that did about as well as most others. They're "only" 1435 fps but are 40 gr.

I've never actually sprung for anything higher end than that, though.

- OS

I would not shoot any of the HYPER velcity ammo out of a match chambered guns. It may damage the chamber. It isn't likely that you did any damage shooting it as little as you did but I would avoid it. Stingers, the Winchesters at 1640 fps, Aguila Supermax or any with the longer cases.

If you comapred the case lengths of those Winchesters to any of the standard ammo you will see it is longer. The longer case can hit the rifling and damage it at the chamber.

Sporter chambered guns don't have this problem but then again they don't shoot as well as your guns does. Those are some amazing groups.

Shooting an accurate gun is so much more fun!

Dolomite

With respect to target chambered barrels...people treat them with the same superstition as baseball players do with their "rituals"

--Unless one is an alchemist Steel > Brass > Lead

--The only thing the hyper velocity ammo will do is batter the bolt harder than normal.

--Shooting other .22 ammo like stingers and long case ammo will only make it more difficult to chamber...increasing failure to battery.

--The barrel material is the same as any other gun. Throat erosion isn't really a problem on sub 40,000 psi, 1500 psi guns.

I get a jagged hole (5 shot) at 25 yards with mini mags and a stock carbine barrel. That's from a rest with a real good scope and good trigger. About the same with super X.

All the hyper stuff, like stingers, really opens up the groups. I think the velocitors were probably the best of the hypers, but my rifle really likes plain ole high velocity.

• 3 weeks later...