Shipping a rifle back to the factory (S&W) question

Guest motonut

Guest motonut

I'm sending my S&W M&P 15 back to Smith for some repair. S&W sent me the pre-paid FedEx label and the instruction sheet. However it's not clear if it can be shipped in the original plastic rifle case which is about the only thing I have to ship it in. Is it acceptable to ship in that case? I would apply a strategically generous amount of tape to the case if it can be used and tie-rap through the lock holes too.

Is that acceptable?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnp034

Is it a warranty issue? If so the dealer you boughtit from should be willing to pack it up and ship it for you. We do it all the time in our store. If not, see if your local firearms dealer will give you a long box to ship it in. we do that a lot also.

JohnP

Make sure to inclose a explaination and addresses for you and S&W inside the package along with any information about the problem and who you talked to at S&W.

Just in case something happens it will let the shipping company know what is up.

Good luck!

Guest motonut

Sorry I didn't update this post before.

Called S&W about shipping in just the plastic case, they said no, ship in a box around the plastic case. Makes sense so I made a nice box that worked well.

I did included a very descriptive note on what the weapon was doing, includes all my contact info and s/n of the weapon.

The time from shipping it out to getting it back from S&W was about 10 days, very good service IMHO.

They said they modified the gas chargeback system and polished the feed ramp.

I haven't tested it yet, too many other projects going on.

Guest motonut
Maybe I missed it but what was the problem. I have a M&P15T and have been very impressed, just curious as to what was wrong.

Copy of the note I included with the weapon.

I had a significant problem with failure to feed (chamber a round) during my previous range session. I was unprepared at that time to troubleshoot the problem.

After that session (as I always do) I cleaned the firearm prior to taking it back to the range.

The next range session I took (3) mags (mags are numbered, all S&W) with me and loaded 15 rds. Into each mag. I proceeded to fire all rds through mag #1 followed by mag #2, apx. 15 -45 seconds between each shot. No problems with either mag/rds. I then inserted mag #3 and after the first shot the next round failed to chamber, I had to cycle the Charging handle to get it to load. Every round from then on had to be manually “charged”. Sometimes the round just wouldn’t chamber and sometimes it would jam (partially chamber).

I thought I found my problem (w/ mag #3) but I proceeded to load mags #1 & 2 again and they both were performing the exact same way as mag #3.

The problem seems to manifest itself when the weapon gets hot, I remember the previous range session the weapon was working fine at the start too.

I have used predominately Fiocchi .223 ammo since I purchased the weapon. Apx. 80% of all ammo through it has been Fiocchi and I’ve never experienced a problem before now. I used 2 different boxes purchased from different locations during these last 2 range sessions.