Apple iOS 4

Guest gw2and4

Guest gw2and4

Upgraded to it today on my iPhone 3G. Can't do multitasking, but the unified Mail inbox alone was enough for me to want the new code since I have many e-mail accounts. Process took longer than any other upgrade I've done--about an hour. Had to back up everything, then seemed to take the phone down farther than before and reload the device more times. Restore of my data was interrupted by several calls and SMS messages...but resumed and completed flawlessly.

Overall, it's running my 16GB 3G seemingly faster than before. Time will tell on battery life, etc.

Apple gets :bowrofl: :bowrofl: on this one.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe
I wonder how much cash changed hands over that one???

Idk.. but I'd take 1% of it if they're giving it away and not ask for anything else.

Guest gw2and4
I'm just counting down the days til Cisco sues Apple over the acronym "IOS".

But Cisco's is with a capital I and Apple's is with a lowercase i. They're *totally* different! (scoffs in the background).

I just had that same conversation Saturday on the way to CHMSR with a fellow Cisco router jockey. We were wondering how much they settled for the first time they bumped up against Cisco when the original iPhone launched...

Guest db99wj

Not overly impressed. I am running a 3GS.

Multi-tasking is not what I would consider multi-tasking, close, but not really. What do you mean you might ask, well, what it does is it keeps other apps running in the background, while you are working in another app, which allows you to go from app to app, without reopening the other app, so the benefit is, you are saving time, the time it takes for an app to open, which can be around 1 second up to 15 to 20 seconds if you have multiple screens to go through or log ins. It does not allow two apps to be used at the same time. I was hoping, and either didn't want to admit it, or just plain missed it, that you could actually have multiple apps open and run them at the same time, for example, Pandora playing, while you are on the web, or email, or using the GPS mapping, etc. But that is a no go.

The wallpaper on each of the pages, while nice to have, not really a big deal.

The camera. There is a zoom feature on the still camera. It does a pretty dang good job. The camera is faster as well, from the point of taking the picture and ready for the next one is extremely fast.

Video, you can tap to focus, which will help, don't shoot much video.

There is a feature on you camera roll that says "Places", it has a google map and red stick pins on it and you can see what pictures were taken, where. So if you went to the lake, took a bunch of pics, it will have a pin, and you select it, it will show that you took X amount of pics and have a itty bitty thumbnails

One of My favorite features is the spell check, due to me sucking at spelling, this helps, it puts a red line under the misspelled words.

Email. No big deal for me, I didn't mind the other one with each account. I have 4 email accounts that I have coming to this phone. The new one has the "inbox" section at the top and has added "All inboxes" which takes you straight to the emails themselves instead of the other folders, like trash, sent, etc. So it speeds it up a bit.

I haven't tried the Folders option yet, but I can see how that can speed things up. I only have 3 pages of apps, so....it's not like it is slowing me down, but once you get a ton of pages, I can see where the folder option will be great.

There are some other features, like gift apps, wireless keyboard, create playlists, and ibooks, that I haven't used yet.

Overall, the update is ok, I would love to be able to run the internet music in the background while running another app. That is my biggest complaint.

It really seems that it runs faster and smoother.

Not all apps are multitasking equipped yet, I have been getting updates over the past week with these updates but not all of them are ready. Tapatalk, which has been discussed on here, is NOT multitask equipped. If you leave tapatalk, you start over, and if you are in the middle of typing out a response, you will lose it.

EDIT: once the apps started being updated, the multitasking function started working, much more impressive than my original comments. It is doing what I actually hoped it would do.

Not overly impressed. I am running a 3GS.

Multi-tasking is not what I would consider multi-tasking, close, but not really. What do you mean you might ask, well, what it does is it keeps other apps running in the background, while you are working in another app, which allows you to go from app to app, without reopening the other app, so the benefit is, you are saving time, the time it takes for an app to open, which can be around 1 second up to 15 to 20 seconds if you have multiple screens to go through or log ins. It does not allow two apps to be used at the same time. I was hoping, and either didn't want to admit it, or just plain missed it, that you could actually have multiple apps open and run them at the same time, for example, Pandora playing, while you are on the web, or email, or using the GPS mapping, etc. But that is a no go.

The wallpaper on each of the pages, while nice to have, not really a big deal.

The camera. There is a zoom feature on the still camera. It does a pretty dang good job. The camera is faster as well, from the point of taking the picture and ready for the next one is extremely fast.

Video, you can tap to focus, which will help, don't shoot much video.

There is a feature on you camera roll that says "Places", it has a google map and red stick pins on it and you can see what pictures were taken, where. So if you went to the lake, took a bunch of pics, it will have a pin, and you select it, it will show that you took X amount of pics and have a itty bitty thumbnails

One of My favorite features is the spell check, due to me sucking at spelling, this helps, it puts a red line under the misspelled words.

Email. No big deal for me, I didn't mind the other one with each account. I have 4 email accounts that I have coming to this phone. The new one has the "inbox" section at the top and has added "All inboxes" which takes you straight to the emails themselves instead of the other folders, like trash, sent, etc. So it speeds it up a bit.

I haven't tried the Folders option yet, but I can see how that can speed things up. I only have 3 pages of apps, so....it's not like it is slowing me down, but once you get a ton of pages, I can see where the folder option will be great.

There are some other features, like gift apps, wireless keyboard, create playlists, and ibooks, that I haven't used yet.

Overall, the update is ok, I would love to be able to run the internet music in the background while running another app. That is my biggest complaint.

It really seems that it runs faster and smoother.

Not all apps are multitasking equipped yet, I have been getting updates over the past week with these updates but not all of them are ready. Tapatalk, which has been discussed on here, is NOT multitask equipped. If you leave tapatalk, you start over, and if you are in the middle of typing out a response, you will lose it.

I thought people were able to do this?

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/06/21/feature.likely.to.spread.to.other.music.services/

Edited by gnmwilliams

Well I just upgraded and have to play with the new stuff for a bit. I do admit though I'm unhappy it appears to have cleaned out my inbox. I had several e-mails I wanted to keep on there. I guess it is possible they are just hiding so I will head off now to look for them...

Mark

Guest db99wj
Pandora is playing in the background as I type this on my 3GS. The camera performance on my 3GS is muccccccch faster on ios4.

I figured it out!

You have to go into updates and update the pandora (and others) app to do backgrounds. I had 5 apps to update 4 of which allowed background. I excited!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest gw2and4
Im using a 3G and I hate iOS4 right now. My phone is now incredibly slow and every app crashes regularly. Garbage.

Yeah, the honeymoon's over on my end as well. Apps lock up frequently and the phone itself reloads at random--taking three times longer than it ever did before to reload. Can't wait for iOS 4.0.1....or whatever they'll number it.

Guest drv2fst

Love the upgrade on my 3GS. Can't wait for my iphone to arrive. Wife got hers yesterday. For those of you still running 3G ... it's time to upgrade.

Guest db99wj

My 3gs is faster, smoother and works great. I have noticed that some apps are having issues. The Fox News App opens for a second, then shuts down, my Pocketmoney doesn't have a decimal so it is hard to put in transactions (I sent them an email, should be upgraded by the end of the week, and some apps, like Tapatalk, don't have the multi-tasking feature available yet. The camera on the new version is crazy fast between the time you take the picture and ready for a new one. The zoom on the camera works great.

Love the upgrade on my 3GS. Can't wait for my iphone to arrive. Wife got hers yesterday. For those of you still running 3G ... it's time to upgrade.

I intend to. But its still ridiculous that my less than two year old phone NEEDS to be replaced.

My 3gs is faster, smoother and works great. I have noticed that some apps are having issues. The Fox News App opens for a second, then shuts down, my Pocketmoney doesn't have a decimal so it is hard to put in transactions (I sent them an email, should be upgraded by the end of the week, and some apps, like Tapatalk, don't have the multi-tasking feature available yet. The camera on the new version is crazy fast between the time you take the picture and ready for a new one. The zoom on the camera works great.

I don't understand Tapatalk. I can view forums just fine from Safari and it's free. Why would I want to pay for that?

I intend to. But its still ridiculous that my less than two year old phone NEEDS to be replaced.

I don't understand Tapatalk. I can view forums just fine from Safari and it's free. Why would I want to pay for that?

Tapatalk saves you from having to do a lot of the pinch to zoom and sliding of content.

Guest db99wj

Speed and the lack of having to resize the screen, go back after trying to hit the small >> signs and inadvertently hitting something else. I can be posting a comment like this faster with Tapatalk, than I can just trying to get to a thread by going through Safari. The constant resizing the screen is a pain.

Guest db99wj

One thing I have on my iphone is that I can't figure out how to get back to the "mobile" site. So my safari is showing the real site. Most sites have a selection at the bottom that allows you to chose. I can't find it.

If you go to multiple forums the Tapatalk is very quick when switching from one forum to the other.