recommended me a snubbie

Erik88

I'm a big fan of the small frame revolver. I have an old Charter, a Smith J Frame, I often carry the S&W 340 PD ( awesome fire power for it's size and weight). But now I almost always carry the Ruger LCR with Crimson Trace Laser Grips. I have a Kahr PM9 but it doesn't get nearley as much carry as my small frame revolvers.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for the S&W 340 PD. With the Crimson Trace grips installed, 5 rounds of 357 Mag in your pocket.

However I wouldn't feel inadequate with any J-frame. I also believe that Ruger is coming out with their own lightweight 357.

One of my colleauges occasionally pocket carries a lemon-squeezer 32S&W. (not recommended :) )

Guest Watauga

IMHO: The Taurus M85 Titanium at 13 ounces unloaded is a great pocket revolver.

With a Nemesis pocket holster it is easy to carry all the time.

After seven years, it is still my favorite CC.

And it is very accurate at 15 yards.

I own five J-Frames (642,637,317,60,640) and a Taurus ULBH M85. I think you will find the Taurus just a bit larger in size than the S&W and a little bit harder to hide in pocket. Although I usually carry the 642, the 637 actually is smaller and easier to hide.

Plus One, M&P 340 with XS Dot Night sight. .357 capable. 13.3 ounces. Put a set of Crison Trace 405 grips on it and you have the ultimate pocket J Frame Centennial. I like the Mika Roundcut holster and Speer Gold Dot For Short Barrel rounds. Oh and don't forget a Bianchi Speedstrip for reload.

P2120038.jpg

Or, if you have deep pockets and like a more substantial grip a Hogue Monogrip may be more your cup of tea.

P5220029.jpg

The XS Dot Tritium Night Sight and weight are the key advantage to this package.

Edited by DAdams
wrong pic

smith637.jpg

I have pretty much carried a S&W 637 in a desantis nemesis pocket holster since I picked it up.

I am going to get around to buying a G26 eventually but I just like carrying this for now.

Plus those speed strips already mentioned. I have had no problems with snagging.

Guest trumpettgriffin
Plus One, M&P 340 with XS Dot Night sight. .357 capable. 13.3 ounces. Put a set of Crison Trace 405 grips on it and you have the ultimate pocket J Frame Centennial. I like the Mika Roundcut holster and Speer Gold Dot For Short Barrel rounds. Oh and don't forget a Bianchi Speedstrip for reload..

I pretty much do likewise to DAdams here. The Mika round pocket holster is nice albeit not as thin as some. The gold dot ammo is accurate and well established for the purpose. The speedloader options can include several but the speed strips are needed regardless of what else you may use because they can be carried for any occasion of dress.

I do prefer as much (reasonable) weight on the revolver as possible to soften the recoil. I enjoy taking my snub out at the range quite often and the extra weight helps if you shoot a lot.

I also consider an exposed hammer a favorable choice. Single action is another great option that makes range shooting more fun and the right pocket holster (liike the Mika) makes snagging a non-event.

Enjoy the hunt and, of course, rent and shoot a few before you buy.

I am Ruger biased, so here are my votes:

I started with a SP101 w/2.25" barrel in a Done Hume pocket holster. At the time I was primarily wearing full cut dress pants, so limited printing issues whether I had the rig in my front or back pocket. Then I started to lose some weight I couldn't hold my pants up. 26oz. 5 shot .357 is a hefty little gun, but is fun to shoot. There three good choices of SD rounds readily available at most retailers: 125gr .38+P SJHP or 125gr .357 SJHP or .38+P LSWC-HP. The SP eats them all up. Zombie killing / fun shooting use .38spl 130gr RN. It's like shooting a .22, If you can handle the weight on your frame and with the type of clothing you wear, this is my first choice.

My second choice, and primary carry: A friend gifted me with an LCR with a plain pocket holster and what a cool little gun. I personally have always liked the hump on the S&W Model 638 and along came the LCR. Similar hump and oh, so light. 13.5oz, comfortable in front or back pocket or numerous IWB / OWB holsters available, compact so very little printing. DAO, I think better sights could be better - I am considering the XS regular dot. I just got a IWB from Kholster, had it about 2 weeks and I really like it.

I have never had a reliability issue with either of these Rugers, I keep up the oil changes and tire rotation, I have not mechanically modified them, when you pull the trigger, they go boom.

With that being said, you have 5 shots, speedloaders are bulky, but you have 2, so 15 shots with a lot of reload time if you don't practice. I haven't checked out the Speed Strips yet, I figure if I need more than five, the SHRHTF. I leave my 2 speedloaders in the truck. If you carry a 5 shot, you may want to consider 2, or a compact auto or keep your P95 close by

I do recommend the shoot before you buy plan. I think it's great to have the opportunity to test drive a gun before plunking down a few hundred bucks.

Edited by Gotthegoods