A good 1911 For a GREAT price

CM1021

If you want to go cheap then buy a RIA. If you want to spend a little, go Springfield Armory.

I can tell by your avatar that your biased towards Colts, which is no problem.

With that said, My M1991 Colt performs 100% as well as my Rock Island tactical. They shoot the same, they show the same accuracy, and they are both just as reliable.

While the Colt has a better finish, for a good shooting 1911 with out investing a lot of coin, you can't be the Rock Island.

In fact I shoot my Rock Island more as I'm not worried about a scratch here or there, rain or shine, it runs like a top. My Colt enjoys the darkness of the safe, and only gets shot or carried every now and then.

**Note, every 1911 of mine gets a 18.5 wolff recoil spring before its ever shot** I've done this as it is a cheap and easy way to enhance reliability. I don't know how the stock springs work, I've never used em.

Edited by csaxj3
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have a bias towards Colts, but only their revolvers! LOL! In my opinion the last good 1911 Colt made was the Series 70's back in the 70's and 80's. I understand that they re-introduced the Series 70 again in this decade, but I haven't seen a new Colt in I don't know when. I also don't like the fact that they have all but got out of the revolver business. I'd like to see them bring back some of their affordable quality revolvers again. I don't think they will ever do it though.

I would check out the new Remington 1911. I haven’t seen or used one yet but I hear it is made here, that’s enough for me to give it a try before buying foreign.

One of the forum dealers said he sold some to forum members; but I haven’t seen any reviews yet from those that actually own one.

All the Remington R1's I've seen are priced $579 - $629. Very nice pistol, have yet to shoot one but the fit and finish are on par with much higher end 1911's.

As for the Rock Islands, I'd give Phil @ Bellshire Hardware (Nashville off Dickerson Rd.) a call. No one else can beat his prices, he is known as the "Guy to get a Rock" from on m1911.org.

615-860-4212 is the number for Bellshire!

All the Remington R1's I've seen are priced $579 - $629. Very nice pistol, have yet to shoot one but the fit and finish are on par with much higher end 1911's.

As for the Rock Islands, I'd give Phil @ Bellshire Hardware (Nashville off Dickerson Rd.) a call. No one else can beat his prices, he is known as the "Guy to get a Rock" from on m1911.org.

615-860-4212 is the number for Bellshire!

+1....Just bought a RIA 1911 chambered in 9mm from Phil....Super Great guy to deal with

That new Remington is under $500? I think I just found MY next 1911.

Here's the link for the new Remington 1911.

http://www.1911r1.com/

I really want another 1911, I miss my Kimber but I want a RELIABLE 1911. I don't think you should have to spend $1000+ for a good 1911, the Remington or a basic Springfield would be the two choices I would consider.

Guest Oaklands

I have an American Classic II by Metro Arms. Great gun in the $400-450 range. Shoots very accurate, nice trigger. Well worth the money.

+1 on the RIA Tactical in 9mm. Not sure how accurate a Kimber is, but unless you can put every round through the same hole I don't see how it could outshoot the RIA, and I've got old tired eyes. :drunk: Best $450 OTD I ever spent.

That said, I've got a PT 1911 in .45 I'll sell ya if it ever comes back from Taurus.

Try and find a range where you can try out some different guns. Although if you plan on tinkering around with a 1911, and everbody seems to want to, a lower entry price while you learn may make it less nerve wracking!

Wouldn't get hung up on trying to find perfection in the first one. As you can see most end up with several anyway. They're addicting. :bowrofl:

Guest Arko
I have an American Classic II by Metro Arms. Great gun in the $400-450 range. Shoots very accurate, nice trigger. Well worth the money.

Nobody is listening to us on the American Classic buddy. for some reson this gun isn't getting any love, though I think it compares very favorably to the RIA.