what's the oddest thing you own?

I have a Coffman engine starter (aka shotgun starter) shell casing used to fire up the engine on a RAF Spitfire.

The school I went as a child (5 - 10) was named after Reginald Mitchell; one year we took a field trip to an airfield to tour a RAF Supermarine Spitfire, which he helped design, and a few of us were able to keep the casings as souvenirs.

I've had it for probably close to 30 years now.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3
Ok, every field trip I went on in school officially sucks now.

When I went on that trip to DC, it was with my parents because my junior high didn't do it. Shameful, because White Station was a happening school then and it is now. But you should make time to go some places fun with your parents, if that would be agreeable to all. The opportunities run short quickly.

Plans in the works to go to the Orkney Islands off Scotland with mom and brother and his wife. There's a brewery there with a beer named after a Viking that we're directly descended from.

Guest herefordman1

I've got the bone from a raccoon penis which was the first male coon Joe and I caught in the 70's. Joe was a straight black & tan. When he barked you knew he was on a coon!

Well, I have a couple of very old telegraph keys, repeaters and sounders (and they work), and a few other odds and ends from a telegraphers desk.

A Railroad Express Agency scale from the '20's

A gravity fed gasoline lamp

One of the factory prototypes for the Coleman 323 series lantern, dating from about 1916

A WWII brass compass, the forerunner of the standard military pocket compass.

A Vesuvius 2 burner gas stove, all brass and copper... no idea how old, but really neat.

A USN boarding cutlass

A kerosene student lamp from the late 1800's

Some memorabilia from the Clinchfield RR (ashtrays, time tables, etc)

A '36 Plymouth (for sale), a 51 M38 and a 54 M37

A lot more that escapes me at the moment (my sister calls my place 'the museum')

But the oddest (and most treasured) are my TGO friends.

Your items are a collection of fine art and craftsmanship.

Guest BEARMAN
I've got the bone from a raccoon penis which was the first male coon Joe and I caught

Supposedly they are Ivory...and the old traditional coon hunters would wittle them down with their pocket knives and make toothpicks out of them.

Have you ever heard of that, herefordman?

I have a Coffman engine starter (aka shotgun starter) shell casing used to fire up the engine on a RAF Spitfire.

The school I went as a child (5 - 10) was named after Reginald Mitchell; one year we took a field trip to an airfield to tour a RAF Supermarine Spitfire, which he helped design, and a few of us were able to keep the casings as souvenirs.

I've had it for probably close to 30 years now.

that had to be cool. I know it is losely based on the facts but I have seen the WW2 movie about Reginald Mitchell designing the Spitfire.

I agree with Ebow1 after Dollywood openned, they just gave up on field trips, every year, ok, we are going to Dollywood again. Before Dollywood openned we need Science and Energy Museum and even went inside Norris Dam. I bet Norris Dam is off limits to the public now.

Edited by vontar
Guest Bluemax

I bought a box of junk at an estate sale a while back. After digging thru it an elderly Aunt and I ran across something we were not familier with. After some fiddling, head scratching and finally HER blowing thru it my Aunt deduced it was a device to exercise one's lungs. It was a penis pump...true story...

Guest mahahn

An original, complete Commadore 64 computer with external 5" floppy disk drive and dot matrix printer with original boxes. Also a 300 baud modem. State of the art in its day.

An original, complete Commadore 64 computer with external 5" floppy disk drive and dot matrix printer with original boxes. Also a 300 baud modem. State of the art in its day.

POS then and now :D

ps could have use you today to pick some berries