Dear Gunny's Indoor Shooting Range...

Guest Linoge

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this business still open?

I keep hearing mixed comments that its still open but most say its gone out of business.

I was down that way last week and stopped in. It's still open, but I would say "barely." I hadn't stopped by for a while since I live in Knoxville, but was pretty shocked when I got there. When I was there, the parking lot was virtually empty, which was a huge change from days in the past. Also, the selection was virtually zero compared to when they opened. If I was guessing, I would estimate their entire inventory of firearms was 50 or less and about half of those were Glocks and only half a dozen long guns. All of the police patches were gone from the cases and the entire atmosphere was different. I won't be back unless I hear things have changed. I shot on their range once and was not particularly impressed. Like the OP said, it was dark, hot, and seemed poorly maintained. I have a membership at ORSA and lurk at other area gun stores for my gun fix.

Guest TargetShooter84
I was down that way last week and stopped in. It's still open, but I would say "barely." I hadn't stopped by for a while since I live in Knoxville, but was pretty shocked when I got there. When I was there, the parking lot was virtually empty, which was a huge change from days in the past. Also, the selection was virtually zero compared to when they opened. If I was guessing, I would estimate their entire inventory of firearms was 50 or less and about half of those were Glocks and only half a dozen long guns. All of the police patches were gone from the cases and the entire atmosphere was different. I won't be back unless I hear things have changed. I shot on their range once and was not particularly impressed. Like the OP said, it was dark, hot, and seemed poorly maintained. I have a membership at ORSA and lurk at other area gun stores for my gun fix.

Maybe that's why people tell me its "out of business" because of what you just described.....

Sucks that they won't change their atmosphere around.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
I am Brant Williams. I own Frontier Firearms.

... snipped ...

Finally, I note that everyone on this site belly aches about any gun store that might be earning a profit (i.e selling guns above what they cost wholesale). Please tell me with "customers" who begrudge the slightest hint of profit, how in the heck are we supposed to pay our employees more than we do? The fact is that EVERY gun store in Tennessee prices its products as low as they can and still stay in business. Sometimes making their prices cheapest and sometimes not - but NO ONE is gouging or charging more than is necessary to keep their doors open and feed their families (Buying Glocks wholesale @ $440 and selling them between $489.99 and 509.99 is not unfair!)

And please tell me which gun stores pay the high wages you infer exist, I could sure use a higher paying position.

Welcome to TGO. You probably just made one of the most fatal mistakes in terms of representing a company on the Internet by attacking the 9,000 or so members of this forum who are active consumers of firearms and firearms related merchandise. Good luck with that.

:hat:

Guest tntrucker
Finally, I note that everyone on this site belly aches about any gun store that might be earning a profit (i.e selling guns above what they cost wholesale). Please tell me with "customers" who begrudge the slightest hint of profit, how in the heck are we supposed to pay our employees more than we do? The fact is that EVERY gun store in Tennessee prices its products as low as they can and still stay in business. Sometimes making their prices cheapest and sometimes not - but NO ONE is gouging or charging more than is necessary to keep their doors open and feed their families (Buying Glocks wholesale @ $440 and selling them between $489.99 and 509.99 is not unfair!)

My problems with your store began; right after the last Presidental election. Everyone was worried about what Obama would do. I was in your old store. You had taken all the prices off your guns. You were charging WAY-WAY more for your guns than a week or two earlier. And I'm not talking about the fact that new purchases might cost you more; I'm talking about guns you already had in stock.

(and you must for it seems everyone posting on this site who doesn't own a gun store is an expert while most of us gun store owners are greedy, ignorant, lying, wanna-be-thieves)

I was thinking of trying your gun range out soon, But I dont see that happening now.

if you knew much about the gun business (and you must for it seems everyone posting on this site who doesn't own a gun store is an expert while most of us gun store owners are greedy, ignorant, lying, wanna-be-thieves), you would know that no one makes much money in this industry -- between cheats who will do anything to avoid paying sales tax and others who gladly pay full retail (Walmart, Target, Shell, Food City, Rocky Top, Kroger, McDonald's, Ruby Tuesday, etc) for all their other purchases but think guns should be sold at a ZERO markup, the gun business is as tough as it gets (thankfully for us store owners the tax-cheats and on-line shoppers are in the minority).

Wow. You must be reading a different forum from the one I'm reading.

I guess the new overhead has caused some additional stress

I have been to both frontier arms stores and bought a handgun and other supplies and have always been treated nicely and enjoyed the trip

This certainly has changed my opinion about my trips back in the future

I believe TGO David is right about fatal mistake

Guest FrontierFirearms
My problems with your store began; right after the last Presidental election. Everyone was worried about what Obama would do. I was in your old store. You had taken all the prices off your guns. You were charging WAY-WAY more for your guns than a week or two earlier. And I'm not talking about the fact that new purchases might cost you more; I'm talking about guns you already had in stock.

explain this to me.... if you buy a gun for 500 and sell it for 559.99 only to discover it cannot be replaced for less than 575.00 (or not at all) how WOULD YOU STAY IN stay in business.

That is what happened in 2008 after the election... it was not just that replacing guns cost more than they before the problem was that most often we could NOT replace them at all or that they cost more than we were selling them for prior to the elections.

Here is some simple math and accounting. Let's say you have $2000 in inventory and a net company worth of $500. (net worth = total assets less total liabilities).

If you bought a gun for 500 and sold it for 560 you gross $60. In this example lets pretend you have zero overhead so that 60 is profit. Well, now you have to replace that gun so you look around for another and find it but it now costs 565. Guess what, your net worth is now $495 because you had to use all the profit from the sale plus $5 more to replace the gun.

But this is not a perfect world... you do have overhead and in the reality of November 2008 you could not replace the gun you sold. So after a few weeks with Christmas coming you end up with nothing to sell - NO INVENTORY at all - but your bills keep on coming.

So we did raise our prices NOT to make more money but the stay in business. Now tell me in that situation what would you have done?

The demand was high but the supply became ZERO.

NO ANSWERS -- NO RESPONSE FROM ANYONE....

Edited by FrontierFirearms
Welcome to TGO. You probably just made one of the most fatal mistakes in terms of representing a company on the Internet by attacking the 9,000 or so members of this forum who are active consumers of firearms and firearms related merchandise. Good luck with that.

:up:

Very well said, In this economy ...why would you alienate ANY prospective customers?
the point is that the whiners and complainers in this thread are not, never have been nor ever will be the customers who support local gun shops.

Be honest what did I say that was not true.

First things first...I have been here for a while now and have not seen the majority bitch about anything (except Obama)...

Second....YOU just "screwed the pooch" for ANYONE (from this site) that has never been to your store (including me). It will be a cold day in hell before I grace the door of your so-called gun shop. Furthermore, because of your attitude, I'll tell everyone I know, NOT to come to your store.

;):up::P:shhh:

I am Brant Williams. I own Frontier Firearms.

I have noticed that on more than this occasion you have post that our rate of pay is minimum wage and that we have high turn over....

Brant even PM'd me this.

I have never mentioned anything about your store, your wages or anything remotely related in the past.

As far as my comment you are reacting to, WOW, you actually can NOT see it was a JOKE? About "moving targets"? :

I've never been there either but they have been running ads on 99.1 saying it is open now with moving targets and so forth
... with moving targets and so forth

They pay them minimum wage, huge turnover in personnel....

They pay them minimum wage, huge turnover in personnel....

crap, that means they probably charge you range time per pound. It is like fishing at crosseyed cricket

Like, are you REALLY that humor impaired, or just not know how to read the flow on a forum? Sorry, but you really just showed your ignorant ass on this one.

- OS

Tell me TGO David what part of my post was not spot on - the posters here who will be offended are not our customers -- the only ones offended will be the ones who are tax cheats and begrudge a man (or woman) a fair wage.

Explain to me and other shop owners how these individuals are "good" customers.

Okay, now I'M offended, and all I'm doing is reading this thread. You paint with a very broad brush, sir. I, too, had considered visiting your store and trying your range, but I can assure you that will never happen now. And for your information, I am a VERY good customer: I have purchased 5 handguns (including 2 top of the line Kimbers) and 1 shotgun (a Benelli) in the past two months, all from local gun stores here in Chattanooga.

• Administrator

A better approach...

Forum Members,

It's been brought to my attention that there is some dissatisfaction with various aspects of our gun shop. I'd like to earn your business. Please come in and give me a chance to prove to you that our shop is interested in meeting your needs and winning you over as a customer.

What happened here...

Dear TGO Members. F you.

:up:

me thinks FrontierFirearms has commited TGO suicide.

I wonder how much money is spent in gun shops by TGO members in the Knoxville area. I don't know but I am guessing it is a substantial amount of money. Everyone I know from this area and on this board is about ate up with buying guns.

I can make a guess at one thing though. Not much of this money will be spent at Frontier.

Edited by Mike.357
I am sorry to hear that but tell me was one word of what I said untrue. Do not many, many of the posters here (in this thread especially) do nothing but complain about gun store, having to pay sales tax or that guns are not priced at wholesale.

Be fair was anything I said not true?

12-13-2008 01:00 PM #17

laktrash

user-online.png

TGO Member image.php?u=2137&dateline=1290028845benefactor.png JoinedSep 2008Wherefriendsville tennPosts338

I bought from frontier I found sig p245 the're hard to find, selection and service hard to beat

so no one buys from you and we all complain honestly I'm not so upset that I wouldn't go back Your nice people trying to make a living

But don't ya think you shoud have sugar coated it a little bit what were you thinkin'

I might add I paid top $ but didn't mind because of the quality of the weapon and the treatment I received there was unbelievable especially the guy that waited on me

Edited by laktrash

Is there a smiley of a Jackass anywhere on here? No? Guess i'll make do with these ;):shhh::up: you'll see none of my money Mr Bigshot Gunshop Owner! Care to call my local shopowner and ask how many gun purchases I have made from him in the last year?

the point is that the whiners and complainers in this thread are not, never have been nor ever will be the customers who support local gun shops.

Be honest what did I say that was not true.

I have bought many guns from local shops. And I have bought 1 online that was used and no one in the area had one.

I will not be visiting your range anytime soon.