Ramsey Speaks Out On Islam

Oh yeah, because Westboro Baptist has thousands of members.

Political Correctness is a useful tool that creates tools.

Don't be a tool.

Judging all Muslim's by the actions of jihadists is no different from judging all Baptists by the actions of Westboro Baptist.

Fixed to more closely represent the relative ratios.

And speaking of them... if Westboro Baptist can peaceably assemble to worship, there's no reason why Muslim's can't do the same. Preventing them from doing so is unconstitutional. If they want to blow stuff up, that's something else entirely.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Anyone can pull a bunch of quotes out of the Koran and make them seem awful and lead to Terrorism. However, other religions, including Judaism and Christianity, have similar passages which are also awful and, looking at your argument, would lead to terrorism.

For example, I will now do it with the Old Testament:

Within the list you will find God ordering the rape and slaughter of others. In the list you will find declarations to go forth and kill all non-believers, including your immediate family.

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

Make ready to slaughter his sons for the guilt of their fathers; Lest they rise and posses the earth, and fill the breadth of the world with tyrants. (Isaiah 14:21 NAB)

Anyone who is captured will be run through with a sword. Their little children will be dashed to death right before their eyes. Their homes will be sacked and their wives raped by the attacking hordes. For I will stir up the Medes against Babylon, and no amount of silver or gold will buy them off. The attacking armies will shoot down the young people with arrows. They will have no mercy on helpless babies and will show no compassion for the children. (Isaiah 13:15-18 NLT)

This is what the Lord of hosts has to say: 'I will punish what Amalek did to Israel when he barred his way as he was coming up from Egypt. Go, now, attack Amalek, and deal with him and all that he has under the ban. Do not spare him, but kill men and women, children and infants, oxen and sheep, camels and asses.' (1 Samuel 15:2-3 NAB)

Cursed be he who does the Lords work remissly, cursed he who holds back his sword from blood. (Jeremiah 48:10 NAB)

I will make Mount Seir utterly desolate, killing off all who try to escape and any who return. I will fill your mountains with the dead. Your hills, your valleys, and your streams will be filled with people slaughtered by the sword. I will make you desolate forever. Your cities will never be rebuilt. Then you will know that I am the LORD. (Ezekiel 35:7-9 NLT)

When the people heard the sound of the horns, they shouted as loud as they could. Suddenly, the walls of Jericho collapsed, and the Israelites charged straight into the city from every side and captured it. They completely destroyed everything in it – men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep, donkeys – everything. (Joshua 6:20-21 NLT)

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

While the Israelites were camped at Acacia, some of the men defiled themselves by sleeping with the local Moabite women. These women invited them to attend sacrifices to their gods, and soon the Israelites were feasting with them and worshiping the gods of Moab. Before long Israel was joining in the worship of Baal of Peor, causing the LORD's anger to blaze against his people. The LORD issued the following command to Moses: "Seize all the ringleaders and execute them before the LORD in broad daylight, so his fierce anger will turn away from the people of Israel." So Moses ordered Israel's judges to execute everyone who had joined in worshiping Baal of Peor. Just then one of the Israelite men brought a Midianite woman into the camp, right before the eyes of Moses and all the people, as they were weeping at the entrance of the Tabernacle. When Phinehas son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron the priest saw this, he jumped up and left the assembly. Then he took a spear and rushed after the man into his tent. Phinehas thrust the spear all the way through the man's body and into the woman's stomach. So the plague against the Israelites was stopped, but not before 24,000 people had died. (Numbers 25:1-9 NLT)

"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

The taking of the quotes without the surrounding sentences and paragraphs lend to make them out of context. This oversimplification of "why terrorism is committed," does not work well -

Why terrorism is, considered by some, a valid method, is far more complex than that...

And, it is far more complex than to just say its Islam's fault...

Remember, Western Society is just as effective at Terrorism as the Eastern ones. How easily we forget the atrocities of our own histories.

Terrorism must be dealt with in a non-Religious way, or you will not end it.

Guest 6.8 AR
Anyone can pull a bunch of quotes out of the Koran and make them seem awful and lead to Terrorism. However, other religions, including Judaism and Christianity, have similar passages which are also awful and, looking at your argument, would lead to terrorism. yada yada yada

Terrorism must be dealt with in a non-Religious way, or you will not end it.

At least Tim Calhoun made the substantive statement before this tripe between the quotes.

"All I can say is that in the weeks after 9/11, the silence and lack of outrage over the attack from so called "moderate/peaceful muslims" was deafening."

Pay attention to sharia law before you go arguing one religion against the other.

Otherwise, your just wasting your time. England is trying to deal with it, now.

Europe is overrun with it and is having trouble with it. We will be next.

It's not necessarily the religion that is the problem, but the primary leadership.

We have had a taste of radical islam and it tasted sour. Minimalizing islam to

make it okay won't work. They have already declared war in their own way

and the muslims over here didn't flinch. I'm skeptical of them because of it.

In other words, they have a track record.

While you're at it, go ask Israel about that peace loving islam.

Muhammed was a pervert and a tyrant. His bunch can change their ways

if they wish to play in our house.

Guest HvyMtl

Sharia Law would be an issue, but I think our 1st A shows Sharia law would not be enforced here, as it is by other governments.

Europe has issues with it, as they would with the government types they have.

Go ask Israel how they assisted in getting the British Colonial Government and troops out of the area. You will be sicked and saddened. Several acts they now condemn they did then.

True: There are those using Islam to further their interests. True: Attacks on the sole Super Power, which is not Islamic, adds to their power and importance in the eyes of those who are easily manipulated.

"It's not necessarily the religion that is the problem, but the primary leadership." I would say not the primary leadership, but the leadership in areas where a lack of education, and poverty, prevail.

Muhammed... Muhammed was either a "Son of God" as claimed, or was a smart man taking advantage of those who were not educated as he. Personally, I haven't met God yet to ask him how many sons he has. :D You got to give him credit for creating a copy cat religion and making it a product that has lasted this long and continues to grow.

While you're at it, go ask Israel about that peace loving islam.

Muhammed was a pervert and a tyrant. His bunch can change their ways

if they wish to play in our house.

Now you done it. They're gonna come after you. good thing you're heavily armed :)

"But you cross the line when they start trying to bring Sharia law into the United States,"

if the country continues on its current path of total political correctness and acceptance of everyone and everything we will certainly have sharia law at some point.

It is foolishness to think it won't happen. Look at Euro trash countries where it is happening.

Whatever Ramsey was hoping to accomplish with this he has nothing to lose.

I admire Ramsey for speaking out. Most politicians would give a run-around answer or lie about it. I learned all I ever want to know about Islam on 9/11.

I barely knew about them before that. I was in my early 20's, carefree at the time. I didn't have a political bone in my body.

However, it shows how times have changed since 60 years ago, After Pearl Harbor.

Isoroku Yamamoto's famous quote "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve"

Now 60 years later after 9/11 we are over there building schools.

How can our leaders be so blind.

Wow. I didn’t realize we had so many “progressives “ on this forum. Ramsey was speaking about Sharia law. All those so quick to criticize him, do you understand what sharia law is? I suggest you do some research. Ron is courageous for standing up and speaking the truth. Look at Afghanistan, apostasy is punished by death. So he is a “moron” and a “redneck” for speaking out against this atrocity?

Also, so I should be concerned about what other states think of Tennessee because of his comments? Like whom? California? The northeastern bloc?....yeah ok. I don’t give a damn what other states think of Tennessee or the South.

To the supporters of sharia law on this forum, have you been to an Islamic country? I can tell you that you will not find much “tolerance” in these countries.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Ron Ramsey's ability to ad-lib a conversation has never been his strong suit. He should stick to the written speeches. As far as his remarks about Islam/Muslims well......his explanation afterwards makes sense to me. In my opinion he is still the best candidate for the Governor of Tennessee. Is he perfect? No, but neither of them are.

Wonder what would happen if a Christian (or pick another if you like) religious group were to go to the Middle East (Pakistan or Afghanistan) and demanded respect, equality and freedom of religion? Especially after a small group of them slaughtered 3000 muslim folks. It probably would not be good.

I am not a racist by any means. However, I am a proud American and I love my country. I believe in God and the Constitution and have a good understanding of the foundation that this great nation was built on by our founding fathers.

My opinion is this ( I am sure this may rub some the wrong way but oh well) if you are a non-American (meaning born in a different country and immigrated here legally or illegally) living in this country and you are upset about the views or beliefs of Americans then please excercise the freedom you have to leave. WE the People of the United States of America..........

Ron is courageous for standing up and speaking the truth

is he so couragous? Did he not back off the comments? Typical politico.

Spineless. Kinda confirms my vote.

And I do not think anyone here supported Sharia law.

is he so couragous? Did he not back off the comments? Typical politico.

Spineless. Kinda confirms my vote.

And I do not think anyone here supported Sharia law.

Ron pulled a Joe Biden. I don't think he backed off. I think he's just covering the gaffe

The whole stink was over his use of the word "cult", not so much the message. I think it was a gaffe (cult).

his use of the word cult might not have been correct but what he said was correct. Did he make that clear?

Guest RevScottie
his remarks about Islam/Muslims well......his explanation afterwards makes sense to me

The problem is that Ramsey lumped all people of a certain religious type into one category and likened them to a cult. That shows a very uneducated narrow view of society.

He forgot to use the word 'radical'. I's been all right to say that radical muslims and radical Islam is the enemy. Has any politician been blaster for using the term Islamo-facist ?

Screw politically correctness. What about my feelings? I'm deeply offended by people that get offended at the drop of a hat. Poor me.

Folks who start quoting freedom of religion stuff in defense of Islam are either ignorant of history, the Koran, and Mohamed or are foolishly naive. Islam is first and foremost a socio-economic-political movement covered with the cloak of religion. A wolf in sheeps clothing. No different than Jim Jones, Branch Dividians, etc. All the other religions at some point were coopted to be used by governments and leaders for their own purposes. Big difference. All one has to do is compare Jesus and his teachings to Mohamed. Simplistic, but clear. What Ramsey said is true and correct in it's context.

All I can say is that in the weeks after 9/11, the silence and lack of outrage over the attack from so called "moderate/peaceful muslims" was deafening.

+1 here. I think this was Ron's main point. His use of the word "cult" was unfortunate. Bet he wishes he had that one back.

Guest 1010011010

On the topic of Sharia, I think a quote from General Charles James Napier in India on the custom of Sati is relevant:

You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours.

Keeping government out of religion and religion out of government as a general rule is a Good Thing. Yes, it may sting when it's ruled that a courtrooms can't have bible quotes on the walls, but that same precedent that keeps Christianity out of the courts today will keep Islam out of the courts tomorrow. And while it may seem like a victory to have Christian prayer protected in the schools, understand it opens the way for every other religion to practice as well. How are you going to feel if your grand kids are made to sit through Fajr (the islamic dawn prayer) being played over the schools intercom system each morning before the Pledge of Allegiance? Secular government is a Good Thing.

I haven't seen faith move mountains, but I've see what it does to skyscrapers.