Got myself fired

Ebow1

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here's what I've got on martial art schools in Nashville.

Cooper Karate and Jujutsu Center :: , Martial Arts, Nashville, TN, Zanshin Ryu

This one looks promising... The Bushido school I first attended was part of the Wado federation... And both Kempo and Jujutsu are nothing to be trifled with. he also teaches several weapons styles. ( Sword, long staff, short staff, and Kama. )

Mr. Cooper has an impressive resume. If you can afford him, he may be worth the price.

J.

I think I knew somebody in high school who learned from him. I know he lived in that area at the time, and anytime he would try and use martial arts techniques (usually a kick to the face) just about everybody was able to grab him by the ankle and just hold his leg up there with him hopping around.

By the way, did you catch Cooper's Dojo Kun? ( Kun = Motto, principle/guide law... Not sure of the exact translation. )

Seek Perfection of Character

Always be faithful

Endeavor to excel

Always respect other

Refrain from violent behavior

Sounds like these folks could teach a youngster - or an oldster - a useful thing or two.

J.

I think I knew somebody in high school who learned from him. I know he lived in that area at the time, and anytime he would try and use martial arts techniques (usually a kick to the face) just about everybody was able to grab him by the ankle and just hold his leg up there with him hopping around.

That would be the typical "Dojo Ballerina" that Deaton is now known for turning out....

J.

Here's a website for the Krav-Maga institute. Instructor is Chris Hollingsworth.

I can't comment on Krav Maga, even when I can find the link... All the MMA and Brazilian stuff started showing up about the same time I was losing interest in MA altogether. Most of the advice I can give you is based on years of experience from 15 or 20 years back, and are concerning things that I know will give you a good base to work from and steer you in the right direction. The Krav Maga schools may just be another money-making deal, or they could do nothing more than make some of your problems worse. Or they could be just what the doctor ordered. I just don't know.

J.

Ok lemme try that again. Here's a website for the Krav Maga institute.

Nashville : Mid-South Krav Maga

Oh, that "Ladies only" ad on the left, just near the top of their page is enough to have me looking somewhere else.... :D;):D

No decent school is going to give a rat's ass what sort of plumbing you have, nor try to tailor a class to a specific gender.

And those shots from inside the school look like it's some sort of health club!

So I'd have to conclude that those folks are in it for the money, first and foremost.

Run away! Run very far away!

J.

It's downtown, so I'n far enough away where I'm at, but thanks for the advice on avoiding that one. I'll be looking at the Dragon Claw one and the Cooper one. Cooper if I have the money, and if not, Dragon Claw had a review saying it was cheap.

Guest mustangdave

I jumped back on the train here at the beginning of the Martial Arts chatter... as cool as all the "new" schools are due mostly I think to the popularity of MAA and the UFC. Like Jamies advise, any I would offer up is from years ago...I would start out in a more traditional dojo...or maybe one on one with the Tai Chi instructor...and maybe give Aikido a look see. Its not all about breaking boards and cinder blocks

Guest db99wj
What took you two so long? Thought I'd run you off or something...

J.

Work, which I haven't got myself fired from...yet. I have a review at 4:30 this afternoon.

Work, which I haven't got myself fired from...yet. I have a review at 4:30 this afternoon.

Have you tried throwing something? I hear that works well... :angel:

:D

J.

I jumped back on the train here at the beginning of the Martial Arts chatter... as cool as all the "new" schools are due mostly I think to the popularity of MAA and the UFC. Like Jamies advise, any I would offer up is from years ago...I would start out in a more traditional dojo...or maybe one on one with the Tai Chi instructor...and maybe give Aikido a look see. Its not all about breaking boards and cinder blocks

I suspect Krav Maga and MMA are this century's versions of Ninjitsu and whatever other "Miracle fighting method" was popular back in the '80s...

I much prefer the schools that look "lived in" and used, to anything that looks like a showroom of some kind... 'cause it's always been those old raggedy "holes in the wall" that I've learned the most in.

J.

I've always avoided MMA from what I've seen of it, but I had heard good things about Krav Maga, oh well.

Like I said, I can't comment on the style it's self, only the school or people that offer it.

The problem you're going to run into with it though is that if it's popular - and it does seem to be - every ass clown in the world is gonna hang up a shingle and try to make money with it. And a lot of 'em will, because the general public doesn't know the difference between the real thing, and something that isn't worth the time or effort to learn.

( The fellow you mentioned earlier is a good example; he didn't know what he thought he did, but bought into the hype and BS anyway. )

But then the same thing can be said of anything that becomes popular with the public, be it a style of martial arts, or a shooting school or method. :angel:

J.