Got myself fired

Ebow1

My school doesn't have ROTC as it's just a community college. I know that much. My mom works for Vanderbilt. Apparently if you work for them for X number of years, they'll pay 70% of your kids' tuition wherever they go to school (unless their tuition is more then Vandy's, then they''' apply 70% of Vandy's tuition to that school). However, because community college tuition is so much lower they're paying all but about $100 per semester, so I got school covered. As far as talking to a recruiter, I've been pondering that since we've been having thses talks. I just need to find one.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went true whole thread to see what you talked about, and let me tell you sir with all do respect

your opinion is as important as a grain of sand in Sahara

Well I gotta admit, you should know a thing or three about being insignificant, and having an opinion that doesn't count for anything... :grouchy:

Six and a half billion people in this world and we get saddled here with the one that NOBODY wants to hear from.

It's just sad. :repost:

J.

You're all welcome.

Oh don't worry, Ebow, I haven't forgotten about you. I just had to make a little side-trip there with Strel to fulfill the request from the others concerning my level of restraint.

One of the things I've been thinking that might help you with learning some things, both about yourself and with dealing with others, is for you to find a good martial arts school and join up.

And no, I'm not talking about some McDojo that caters to soccer moms who need a place to dump their kids off once or twice a week, or some bliss-ninny valley girl who's looking for a false sense of security...

I mean one of those "blood 'n guts", down to the nitty-gritty places that I used to attend, that actually teaches something useful, both in the way of combat skills and life skills in general.

I think that if any still exist, and you can find one that you can get to, it would do you a world of good. Probably much more so than even military service.

Some might say "oh, that'll only make him more dangerous when he goes off", but I'm quite sure that it'll do anything BUT that.

J.

I've been taking Tai Chi, at the YMCA near my house (have a temporary membership and I thought I'd check it out) and I realize that pretty much equates to a McDojo like you were talking about, but I had plans to start taking Krav Maga once I got my truck paid off and my expenses went down, but my income has gone down first so I've gotta get that back on track first. And the you're welcome was simply for starting the thread that lead to all this fun whatnot.

I've been taking Tai Chi, at the YMCA near my house (have a temporary membership and I thought I'd check it out) and I realize that pretty much equates to a McDojo like you were talking about,

Tai Chi isn't bad if you get the right teacher... Still, it takes a long time to get anything useful out of it.

but I had plans to start taking Krav Maga once I got my truck paid off and my expenses went down, but my income has gone down first so I've gotta get that back on track first.

I'd suggest a traditional Japanese or Okinawan school to start. Avoid Tae Kwon Do though... it's way too sport-oriented these days.

Also, Kali or Escrima are a couple of others you might enjoy.

And the you're welcome was simply for starting the thread that lead to all this fun whatnot.

I know. It was just a good place/spot/opportunity for me to get back on track. ;)

I'd had the thought concerning the MA school earlier, and just hadn't gotten around to getting it posted yet.

J.

The McDojo thing wasn't a reference to the Tai Chi, more to the fact that it's a free course at the Y where most go once and don't bother coming back because they didn't realize it would actually make them exert themselves. The teacher's good, most people think he's a little too extreme with exercise but that's a good thing.

Also I don't know much about Escrima and I am interested in it, but I know there's a Krav Maga school downtown. Don't know about the others.

Man you're sitting in front of a computer... Google "martial arts schools <your city name or zipcode>" and see what turns up.

Oh, and a little fact that you may find appealing about Kali/Escrima: They both teach sort of backwards to most other martial arts styles... meaning they start you off with weapons... sticks, swords, knives, etc. to teach you the broad moves, then ween you back to empty handed once you have the basic concepts down.

With most others styles, you don't even get to pick up a weapon until you're fairly far up the rank system.

J.

Edited by Jamie
I know. That's how I found the Krav Maga school. I'm just sayin' that what's available to me is gonna be a pretty deciding factor.

It always will be. Life just sucks that way.

J.

I like him. Most of the people at my level (low) don't ever use the proper form and then he'll have us do striking drills for half an hour squatting about a foot above the ground and they wonder why they can't strike as fast as me or endure as long at that position.

I like him. Most of the people at my level (low) don't ever use the proper form and then he'll have us do striking drills for half an hour squatting about a foot above the ground and they wonder why they can't strike as fast as me or endure as long at that position.

If you like him, them maybe you should stick with him... because I can almost promise you he knows and can teach other styles as well, and may very well decide to teach you more than the standard curriculum if you stick with it and show a little dedication.

I started off in a Bushido school, then later on moved to one that taught several Chinese styles... and from there, ended up meeting people who taught other things, including the Filipino stuff.

J.

Ok, here's what I've got on martial art schools in Nashville.

Shaolin Concepts

(615) 228-1800

3117 Gallatin Pike, Nashville, TN 37216

Cooper Karate and Jujutsu Center :: , Martial Arts, Nashville, TN, Zanshin Ryu

Dragon Claw Martial Arts

(615) 414-1737

1113 Cabana Dr, Nashville, TN 37214

All the rest were MMA places, or just didn't look that legitimate or serious. If anybody knows anything about the schools I listed it would be appreciated.

I know he knows other styles, he's talked about when he used to do Kung-Fu, but he doesn't have his own school, just the classes at the Y, and Tai Chi twice a week isn't enough to get me to keep the membership longer then I had planned.

If you can find out who the owners/instructors are, I may can help... I know both Rust Gray and Doug Smith used to run Chinese schools... ( Doug started off as Rusty's student, then started running a second school for him. I don't know if there's still any kind of relationship there, or if they're now competitors, or even still in the business. )

Also keep any eye out for the names Gary Bush and Wayne or Julia Tyler... they may still be teaching a couple of Japanese styles.

There are probably other names that if you call them, will jog my memory, but that's the best I can do for now.

Oh, and stay away from anything run by David Deaton, out in Hendersonville... He started one of the first "McDojos" in the Mid-Tn area.

J.

Edited by Jamie
I know he knows other styles, he's talked about when he used to do Kung-Fu, but he doesn't have his own school, just the classes at the Y, and Tai Chi twice a week isn't enough to get me to keep the membership longer then I had planned.

Have you tried talking to him, and explaining that to him? Might surprise you what kind of response you get... and it certainly can't hurt.

J.