Got myself fired

Ebow1

Well it finally happened. I can put up with continual disrespect from customers but not from coworkers. After all my complaining on here about Domino's a member of the management staff cut me off every time I tried to talk and I finally just lost it and threw some company property around the store. So it's done. I'm still meeting with him and his superior about the issue. Hopefully I can shed some light his disrespectful behavior and point out the fact that he insinuated I have homicidal tendencies simply because I own firearms.

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started with Domino's a manager who is no longer there asked me if I liked guns, I said yes, and found out that most of the people who worked there owned and carried. The current store manager who is now higher up has asked me about my guns just about everytime he has seen me since then. This last time we talked about my guns he asked me "Have you killed anybody yet?". I didn't take too kindly to it but I let that slide. Then he continually cut me off over an issue about a bumper sticker and that's when I lost it.

Guest Bronker
...an issue about a bumper sticker and that's when I lost it.

clean_my_guns_bumper_sticker.jpg

Perhaps you shouldn't have backed your car bumper so close to his office window?

:)

I'm not so much worried as I am pissed off. It's becoming the standard more and more in this country that if someone gets paid by the hour then they can be treated like dirt and they're nothing other then easily replaceable. With the economy the way it is more and more companies are dangling a man's own job above his face and making him jump and fetch to keep it because they know that everybody is desperate these days. As I'm sure people will ask here is the entire issue:

I have a bumper sticker on my truck that says "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies". It's a bumper sticker for Arrogant Bastard Ale. After leaving the store the manager in question sends a text message to the manager on duty that I can't have it. I tell her I'm going to need to see the policy. I talk to the manager who says I can't have it and tell him I need to see the policy he continually cuts me off and tells me I can't have it and that it's against policy and that "no employee can have a bumper sticker that advertises alcohol". He never does produce anything in writing that shows me this policy. I get off the phone, that's when I throw ****. I'm not going to take off the bumper sticker unless I see the policy but if I see it I'll gladly remove it, and I had told him this. The manager on duty tells me he says I can't drive as long as I have the sticker, I said fine then my shift is over. I'm told my shift is over and that I can't come in Sunday (today). I came back today to talk to the store manager. He tells me I've been fired per the write up I recieved from the manager in question and that he hasn't seen it and has no idea what it says and to ask the district manager about it. He tells me I've also recieved a write up for today for a no call/no show for my shift (even after being told I couldn't work). I call the district manager, and she says the write up was for refusing to remove an insulting bumper sticker (not the reason he told me I had to remove it). I explain my side of the story and she says the policy is that a manager told me to do it so I should've done it without question (apparently I'm supposed to "just follow orders"). Myself, the manager who fired me, and the district manager will be having a meeting in the near future to discuss the matter.

... and I finally just lost it and threw some company property around the store. ..

Well, at least you handled it in mature manner. :-\

The prelude:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/43930-i-think-my-boss-afraid-im-gonna-go-shooting-spree.html

Since they suspended you earlier for two weeks without pay, for an accident that wasn't your fault, I can't believe you stayed as long as you did, no matter how hard it is to find jobs that fit your schedule.

- OS

Guest strelcevina

if you just had a workers Union, i think they would protect your right as a worker who follows company policy and gets pushed from people on higher positions.

Guest Keinengel
if you just had a workers Union, i think they would protect your right as a worker who follows company policy and gets pushed from people on higher positions.

Apparently someone doesn't understand what it is to work unskilled labor in a "Right to Work" state. A union is likely to do more harm than good in this case.

This crap happens pretty regularly to factory workers. It's kinda crappy to do your job above and beyond the call evey day just to get **** on in return.

Guest SUNTZU

Nah, cause then the pizza company would be out of business because a large pizza would cost about $225 delivered and that would only be delivered between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. No work on rainy days, either.

214f5bb7.jpg

This last time we talked about my guns he asked me "Have you killed anybody yet?".

When asked a similar question while a coworker and I discussed a range trip, my answer was, "No one that didn't deserve it." The coworker said he hadn't but was willing to learn.

Any way a meeting goes, you'll need another job. Good luck!

You must decide the amount of treatment, rules, stipulations, and behavior you are willing to accept in your course of employment. Be it an attendance policy, grooming requirements, or even carry friendliness in the workplace. If you are not happy with the level of acceptance or tolerance in your situation you must speak out and try to change those levels of acceptance or move on to another place that will respect your values as you do. Be it you moving to another job, town, state country, etc. No one is required to see things your way or even react to your opinions and behaviors rationally and logically. So you have two options submit to their level of accepted behavior or move on. It seems you have reached the point of moving. TN is a right to work state, no one is required to keep you in employ just for the sake of having a job. You can be fired for no reason at all. You also have no obligation to stay in an environment where your values are not respected. You can chose to stay there as a compromise to yourself if the situation deserves it. Be it you need the money, the schedule, etc. But in doing so you are submitting to your employers requirements on behavior.

As i said before it seems you have made the decision to move on. A wise on in my eyes. I wish you the best of luck in finding employment that agrees with you.

Mike

apparently I'm supposed to "just follow orders"

Yes, you are. You may find something in the future where you agree with all the policies. You may even find a job that lets you write some of them. But, you don't have a leg to stand on in this case. Throwing stuff around is usually a reason to get canned. Employers get to decide how you present yourself when you're wearing their sign.

If you work for a company that has policies that you can't live with, change jobs. Trying to change policy, especially with a display of rage, just ain't gonna work out for you. BTW... I'm saying this stuff because I like you, and because you need to think long and hard about it. I would say the same thing to one of my guys.

Guest Drewsett

Well, I know I won't be ordering Domino's again....

Sorry to hear about the job loss, but there is a silver lining to every cloud.

Just as an FYI I have a similar problem as far as needing a flexible and weird schedule due to being enrolled in school...I'm a waiter at a restaurant and find it works pretty well for me.