Magpul Dynamics "Art of the Tactical Carbine" v1 REVIEW

Guest Halfpint

Guest Halfpint

Recently, I picked up the first volume in Magpul Dynamics "Art of the Tactical Carbine" series, and I thought I'd share a short review. For those not familiar with the M/D crew, Chris Costa and Travis Haley are part of Magpul's cadre of instructors, both combat veterans, and teach a variety of courses from basic rifle skills to more advanced tactical operations.

MagpulDynamics001.jpg

I actually picked up the DVD as a refresher for Marine Corps "Table 2 qualification" shooting, and was very surprised to see a lot of what I was taught. The first disc covers the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship and manipulation -- things like stance, establishing a battle-sight zero (bzo), optics choice and placement, gear, etc. The second disc brings more advanced skills into play, like transitioning from primary to secondary weapons, live fire "stress" drills, weak-hand shooting, and barricade and vehicle drills. Disc three has all of the drills from the first two dvd's broken down in various speeds, without the instruction part of the class, so that you can watch and practice just the drills.

Disc one was pretty much a perfect refresher for Table 2 shooting, basically 25 meters and in, up to 3 meters. It covers a lot of things most people -- admittedly, including myself at times -- wouldn't think of, like height of optics above bore for extreme close-range shooting, as well as establishing a bzo for back-up sights. I've always bzo'd at 300 yards, because that's what I was taught, but they brought up the valid point that back-up sights are just that, BACK-UP sights, and their course teaches to bzo at 50 or 100 meters. They cover the various methods of reloading: administrative, tactical, and speed, as well as defining each so that even new shooters can understand the difference. Failure drills are addressed, and multiple ways to solve each problem are presented. The big things that jumped out at me on d-1 were:

1. The idea of "bumping up" magazines during a lull -- constantly moving magazines to where you KNOW they are, instead of having to reach farther and farther back each time to grab another. This is new to me, and I'm going to start implementing it in my personal and military training.

2. Proper use of a redi-mag system. I've handled them and installed them for customers who wanted them for "cool factor" but never saw one used as intended. Travis Haley shows how to use it in a tactical setting.

3. Proper (and improper) use of the dump pouch, as well as complications associated with digging through it to locate that ONE magazine with a handful of rounds, among the multiple empties and battlefield pick-ups.

" . . . 1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary mag . . . "

Disc two moves to transitions from primary to secondary weapons, weapon to reaction shoulder drills, and team movement. There's no way to fully cover the subject in a thread, but I'll do my best. Cover fire, transitions, communication, aggressive movement, barrier drills, and breaking contact are the biggest points of instruction on the second disc. Of particular interest are the occasions when one team of shooters runs out of ammo at the same time, and both move to reload rather than one drawing a secondary to continue putting rounds down-range; and reaction/weak-side drills where many shooters have never manipulated their rifles with their "off" hand.

Disc three, as I said before, is just the drills, broken down to show them at various angles and speeds. It also includes features on weapons disassembly and maintenance, nomenclature and accessories, and storage and travel.

If anybody is on the fence about picking up this DVD or any of the others from Magpul Dynamics, go ahead and spend the money, you won't be disappointed, and you'll definitely learn some useful skills.

Edited by Halfpint
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest high-octane

I would love to take one of their classes. Carbine or pistol or both for that matter. I saw a thread on here at one point about someone hosting some of their classes in 2011? Any word on this or did it fall by the wayside? Thanks.

Guest high-octane
I was in Green Hills Mall the other night with the wife and kids. Saw a guy wearing one of their "twinkie, twinkie, cupcake" shirts and laughed out loud.

Ive got mine on right now. For real. lol

Guest Halfpint

I had to hunt for one in Medium, but I finally found it. SKDTAC.com has a few.

I remember reading about the class as a possibility, but all that went down when I was at boot camp and SOI . . . definitely interested in taking the class, though. David, any word?

Guest Halfpint

Yes, very much so. The course is set up so that it will benefit everyone, from beginners to guys who have spent years behind an M-16. It will show the basic fundamentals, as well as teaching you some more advanced techniques step-by-step. If you have a fairly basic rifle, they also talk about gear placement and how to set up a fighting carbine for best use.

Yes, very much so. The course is set up so that it will benefit everyone, from beginners to guys who have spent years behind an M-16. It will show the basic fundamentals, as well as teaching you some more advanced techniques step-by-step. If you have a fairly basic rifle, they also talk about gear placement and how to set up a fighting carbine for best use.

Awesome, thanks - I'll pick this one up!

I went back and read the thread on the Magpul Dynamics class.

Essentially we have a problem with a location. A member named Paulie with a string of numbers seems to have secured the Columbia PD's range but when he called MD they had filled their calender. They start the next years calender this fall. I think he will try and see if he could still access the range and try and schedule a class.

• Administrator
I had to hunt for one in Medium, but I finally found it. SKDTAC.com has a few.

I remember reading about the class as a possibility, but all that went down when I was at boot camp and SOI . . . definitely interested in taking the class, though. David, any word?

Negative. I spoke with Chris Costa at length about this but I never could find a facility (or just land, for that matter) where we could have room to stretch our legs and run as many shooters side-by-side as they prefer to have on the line at once.

Negative. I spoke with Chris Costa at length about this but I never could find a facility (or just land, for that matter) where we could have room to stretch our legs and run as many shooters side-by-side as they prefer to have on the line at once.

David, Is there anything we (TGO) as a group could do to bring them here? I know of a few who would participate in this class myself including to bring it to middle TN? I'm willing to put 100% into helping? Feel free to PM me with any details...... COOP

David, Is there anything we (TGO) as a group could do to bring them here? I know of a few who would participate in this class myself including to bring it to middle TN? I'm willing to put 100% into helping? Feel free to PM me with any details...... COOP

I don't think it was lack of people for the class but a lack of a range to run it at.