What is the law for window tint?

lsp408

Well, here is my question, few weeks ago, I was traveling north on I-81 about 50 to 100 miles into Virginia. A Virginia finest pulled me over.

He told me that reason for pulling me over because of my window tint. He then said in state of Virginia, he can legally give me ticket for window tint even my car is registered in Tennessee.

He did let me go with just warning, I would like to know if what he said is true?

He also mention that Virginia law for passanger car window tint is 50% front and 35% back.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say that Tennessee's law for personal vehicles is 35%. We used to only be able to stop/check/cite motorists if their vehicles were registered in TN. Last year, they amended TCA and said that we could apply this standard to any vehicle registered in any state unless that vehicle is legal in their home state. Now I carry a quick reference card that shows the tint laws for every state in case I get a wild hair and decide to stop someone from out of state for tint. Tint is one of those things that I rarely enforce anyway. The windows have to look like they're painted black before I usually stop 'em.

As far as the enforcement of out of state vehicles in VA, I'm not sure. I would assume that a vehicle from another state and legal in their home state should be able to drive there without issue. If their law is like ours, he can cite you if your vehicle is illegal here, too. Confused?

Yep 35% and we carry electronic tint meters.

Not that I cite for it hardly at all, but it is PC for a stop or an add-on charge if there are other violations.

Our "window tint" gauge was a simple one: Place a dime against the inside of the glass. If the date couldn't be read from the outside, you got cited.

Also, FYI... those trim frames people like to put on their license plates? They'll get you stopped too, since in TN it is illegal to add to, take away from, or alter your plate in any way.

J.

Our "window tint" gauge was a simple one: Place a dime against the inside of the glass. If the date couldn't be read from the outside, you got cited.

Yeah, but it sure is nice now to be able to tell the judge an exact number. Makes it harder for someone to argue. :up:

Yeah, but it sure is nice now to be able to tell the judge an exact number. Makes it harder for someone to argue. :)

Well, those were the Old Days when there weren't any electronic window tint gauges, and the judge was pretty much stuck taking the officer's word for it, or having a look at the car his/her self.

( Edit: and a lot of officers kept a cheap Polaroid camera in the trunk too, for just such an occasion. )

I think you can figure out how that one usually went. :up:

J.

Edited by Jamie

I know it's %35 on the front windows, but the back windows can be as dark as you want, correct??

I have %15 on all my windows, it is black!! Day or night you cannot see inside my car. I have never had an officer mention it when I've been stopped.

To the OP, YES, they can give you a ticket in VA for window tint even though your car is tagged in TN. And, by the way, you are very lucky to have gotten a warning. The Virginia Highway Patrol, the ones that run near TN state lines , arent known for giving warnings. Trust me, I know from experience.

You are bound by any state's laws when you are in that state, whether you know the law or not.
Absolutely.

Good thing you didn't have radar detector on dash in VA.

But legal here.

- OS

I am in complete agreement.

Much like hand gun laws, you have to know the law when you cross the state lines.

Yes, radar detectors are also out in VA.

I know my T-bird, and don't get me on the percent the day I brought it was already tinted windows and pretty dark. I ask if they where legal. I was told they where as as dark as TN would allow, but if I went into VA I could get a ticket.

Back in 97 when I got my T-bird of the LEO in the city of Lafollette TN showed me how they tested then, similar to what Jamie stated with the dime, except they had to be able to read a drivers license though the tinted window. I checked mine that way with a city policemen and he said I was just barely legal, but was legal. I have never been stopped in that car.

Now watch me get a ticket this week for something dumb.

Sounds to me that LEO probably only had you for window tint, decided to use that as cause to stop you to see if there was any thing else to get you for, since he didn't see anything else open in your car he just over looked the window tint. Had you had a radar detector, he would have got you for both. They really hate those things in VA.

I know it's %35 on the front windows, but the back windows can be as dark as you want, correct??

I have %15 on all my windows, it is black!! Day or night you cannot see inside my car. I have never had an officer mention it when I've been stopped.

NO! I am not sure where this myth began, but I hear it all the time. In TN, a commercial vehicle can have tint as dark as they like rear of the front windows, but not personally owned vehicles. The exception to this is vehicles that have factory tinted glass (not dealership-applied film) on the rear windows that conform to FMVSS standards. The easy way to tell if your vehicle has tinted glass is to look at the window itself near the top edge on the inside. If you see a film layer, it's not factory tinted glass. You pretty much only see tinted glass on recent SUVs.

Mine are 15 % on the front and double on the back. I roll windows down at night to back up. My wife's windows are about the same. You're only gonna get stopped for it if they are looking for a reason anyway.

BTW slightly related, not a total hi jack here but

Does anyone know how to remove window tint? The window tint on my T-bird is horrible after many years. I need to get it striped off. I tried on one window and I only made things worse. I know i should probaby just use google but I figure someone here has done it.

BTW slightly related, not a total hi jack here but

Does anyone know how to remove window tint? The window tint on my T-bird is horrible after many years. I need to get it striped off. I tried on one window and I only made things worse. I know i should probaby just use google but I figure someone here has done it.

blow dryer and a razor.....it's a pain in the a$$ but it will do the job. Set aside a couple hours to do it though.

Let me finish that

If you can't see though your windows, they are no longer windows and have been transformed into walls.

I can do even better... If you put something on your windows that you can't see through, then it may be the police you're looking at when you roll it down so you can see behind you. :)

J.

I had the darker tint on my car when it was legal & loved it, as it kept the car cooler, & kept potential thief’s from seeing easily what’s in the vehicle to steal. I remember horror stories from those days about people driving through Va. In my opinion the main thing wrong with Va. is the fact that it’s too damn close to D.C. BTW if you are a LEO & your too scared to walk up on a particular vehicle because you cant see in,

there is a pa on most squad cars, order the occupants out of the vehicle from the safety of your cruiser.

I know it is a Law in VA about the window Tint, however if a Car is legal in your home state and everything else about the car is legal, license, registration and insurance they really should not get an out of state car for window tint. It is not like it is something the driver can pull over at the state line and change.

I mean if they give you a ticket are you suppose to call a tow truck to get towed to the line or continue driving so the next cop could give you a ticket the next county over? Serious If one gives you a ticket another could as well right?

If I drive to CA, will I get stopped for not having my trucked checked for ca emissions standards?

BTW if you are a LEO & your too scared to walk up on a particular vehicle because you cant see in,

there is a pa on most squad cars, order the occupants out of the vehicle from the safety of your cruiser.

Easier just to pull out the shotgun and shoot out the windows. :D

Hey, don't look at me like that.... it removes the problem and gives the officer a good view of the interior of the vehicle. :)

Plus it'll likely convince other folks not to tint their windows so damned dark. :P :P

J.