Quran BBQ

Il Duce

Looks like the big O has weighed in on the burning now. We've got about a day and a half before the event. Anybody want to lay odds on some sort of "situation" that causes the government to take action and prevent the pastor from carrying out his plans?

The whole thing is a bonehead move on the pastor's part. But come on people, it's paper with ink smeared on it. It's printed the same way every other book is printed. It doesn't come out of the bindery with a magical glowing aura around it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KimberChick
I do not have a problem with them burning the Quran.

The troops are already in danger, burning books or not. They say there is a $1000 bounty on their heads right now.

I am disappointed with tv networks and news papers bowing to the Muslims. They are afraid to show images of Muhammad. Everyone is afraid to piss them off, but yet they kill US Mission workers who go over there to help the poor. They Cut the heads off of the contract workers over there trying to help them rebuild.

I agree 2 wrongs don't make a right. But how many times are you going to let the bully take your lunch money before you fight back.

Sounds like high time we GTFO out there 100% and let them go back to doing the above things to their own people instead of ours.

I don't believe the Politicians(i.e. people in charge of this conflict) have the testicular fortitude to leave or fight back by bombing the bejesus out of them instead of sending countless patrols.

So, we stagnate, watch more of our people die and pretend we are doing some great "crusade" service of spreading our ideals on a country that clearly doesn't want them.

I'm not afraid to piss them off and I agree we shouldn't bow to them. I just don't see the point in burning their religious book. It doesn't help anything and it only takes us down to their level unnecessarily.

+1 We should be better than that, but our own media has a tendency to whip the great unwashed into a blind frenzy when it comes to things like this. They can pull the puppetstrings and get people to act without thinking of their long-reaching consequences. If even one drop of American blood is shed due to this guy's wanton quest for TV airtime, then anyone involved should meet the same fate. Folks have been hanged for less....just sayin.

Annnd that's...the bottom line. [/pre-coffee rant]

Churches and pastors like this are just looking for attention...even negative. They give all Christians a bad name. Any church seeking press or tv coverage like should have its moral compass checked. Jmho.

Perhaps the good soldier Gen. Petraeus is, he should

have kept his mouth shut. The church is wrong by

their actions, but by him saying what he did, the

media will have more of a field day igniting the

flames of the Muslim world to do something we

don't want happening. He is bringing attention

to the act, not saving his soldiers lives, by doing

this.

I am glad I did my best to stay out of this one. When I heard about it, I knew it was a bad idea on some many levels, but I also know they do the same over there. 2 wrongs never make it right.

I try to go by the The Golden Rule. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

This is a topic I could let myside get lost in very easy and go over board.

You do realize that in Muslim countries it is illegal to promote Christianity and posses Christian material for distribution.

You might want to list those countries. Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia might be the only ones.

(EDIT: Add the Maldives)

There are Christian churches in most "Muslim Countries", so your statement is at the least certainly a significantly flawed generalization.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I am not going there! I know what I have read and studied about different religions in the world. If you think I am wrong so be it and go in peace with your belief!!!:lol:

Wow, that is a little incurious isn't it? What if OhShoot has some new information of something? What if his "belief" is actually factual? I am always happy to learn new stuff but you seem to want to cling to a, perhaps, non factual belief. If OhShoot is right where is the benefit of believing something that isn;t reflected in reality?You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Wow, that is a little incurious isn't it? What if OhShoot has some new information of something? What if his "belief" is actually factual? I am always happy to learn new stuff but you seem to want to cling to a, perhaps, non factual belief. If OhShoot is right where is the benefit of believing something that isn;t reflected in reality?You are entitled to your opinions but you are not entitled to your own facts.

DR really doesnt like being contradicted. I'm kinda surprised he's still here after everything.

KSA, will,( and did )take your bible upon entering , plenty of 33gal. trash cans full of bibles at customs, where I was also informed, I'd get 5yr. for possession of a bible. Couple of months later one of the Saud's said ,they burn them, just don't let the foreign press know of it. Me, I'm not for burning ANY books. I'm thankful, we still have the freedom to do so, if we choose to.

KSA, will,( and did )take your bible upon entering , plenty of 33gal. trash cans full of bibles at customs, where I was also informed, I'd get 5yr. for possession of a bible. Couple of months later one of the Saud's said ,they burn them, just don't let the foreign press know of it. Me, I'm not for burning ANY books. I'm thankful, we still have the freedom to do so, if we choose to.

It's all just ink on paper to me so no big deal. But the notion that you can stop ideas, that you can make people believe by only exposing them to one idea is abhorrent. These efforts always fail in the end.

I am not going there! I know what I have read and studied about different religions in the world. If you think I am wrong so be it and go in peace with your belief!!!:lol:

I can read, too.

There are Christian Churches in Iraq (even under Sadaam), Iran, Libya, Jordan, Yemen, Eqypt, etc etc. All "Muslim Countries". There are Christian Churches in the country with the most Muslims in the world, Indonesia.

Even Somalia, with perhaps the densest Muslim percentage per the population, has a Catholic diocese.

Indeed, there only seem to be a handful, if not just 2 or 3, countries where Christianity and/or the tools/edifices thereof, are actually forbidden.

Hence, your previous blanket statement can only be deemed inaccurate. Simple statement of fact, so if you have opposing factual content, by all means use it to support your statement.

- OS

RIGHT! If you tell me that you believe it! I believe that you believe it!

It doesn't take too much of an open mind to simply google "Christianity in ____", but you may see that as beneath your already extensive storehouse of knowledge on the subject.

Here's a decent list of 47 "Muslim Countries". I didn't look at each one, but will be surprised if you find more than 5 that actually ban the practice of Christianity.

Hint: you can right click on each country, open in additional tab, and check the religion section of each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_countries

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added link
It doesn't take too much of an open mind to simply google "Christianity in ____", but you may see that as beneath your already extensive storehouse of knowledge on the subject.

Here's a decent list of 47 "Muslim Countries". I didn't look at each one, but will be surprised if you find 5 that actually ban the practice of Christianity.

Hint: you can right click on each country, open in additional tab, and check the religion section of each.

- OS

Link?

A country being listed on Wikipedia as having banned Christianity and you getting gathered up and executed for spreading the word in that same country are two totally different things.

Google is good for a lot of things, but let's not get silly.

Link?

Sorry. Added it to post.

Up and down with touch of flu or something, guess why I forgot it in first place.

A country being listed on Wikipedia as having banned Christianity and you getting gathered up and executed for spreading the word in that same country are two totally different things. ....

Don't quite follow.

It's pretty easy to check on Wiki in this instance, although if you mean just because a country "bans" Christianity doesn't mean they'll imprison or execute you for practicing it, you're of course surely correct.

The point is, though, that only a very few even have laws against it.

I wouldn't go Bible thumpin in The Maldives or Mauritania, though, they sound pert damn serious.

Whole point was that making a blanket statement about "Muslim Countries" is about the same as saying that "the United States does not allow concealed handgun carry", when it's actually only 2 that totally do not (plus apparently Hawaii, which lies about it outright and California, which strongly fibs).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
extra rant
According to the news it said it was cancelled because the iman had decided to move the mosque at the WTC but the news said that he had not agreed to move the mosque.

The mad Florida imam who the mad Florida preacher said brokered a deal with the mad NYC imam sez it ain't so, and that the mad preacher only said that so he could call off the event and save face, so the mad preacher sez the burning might be on again.

Meanwhile, The Donald has offered to buy the damn place for 25% more than the Muslim's paid for it. No joy so far.

- OS

OhShoot:

you go over to the So called Muslim countries that are considered having religious tolerance by WIKI or GOOGLE and proselytize. Some , Well most, of the so called Muslim countries have a secular government rather than one that follows Muslim law. We are not even talking Apples and Oranges here regarding this as it becomes "Fruit Salad" Due to the variety of government types in those countries.

If I made a claim regarding "Muslim Countries" it was about Countries that are governed according to Muslim law as those are the only Muslim countries. The others are just countries that are inhabited by a majority of Muslims but then I happen to be a "Nit Picker" about religious things what with 2 grandfathers and a father that were Christian fundamentalist ministers. I rebelled and studied about a variety of religions.

According to the news it said it was cancelled because the iman had decided to move the mosque at the WTC but the news said that he had not agreed to move the mosque.

I think it would be great if we could get our religious fanatics to fight it out with their religous fanatics, and leave everybody else out of it.