14 Days Cold Turkey

willis68

First of all CONGRATS!!

Second off I had been a smoker for 30+ years at about 1 1/2 packs a day.

Third off, I have been tobacco free since 3/8/2009. No I did not go cold turkey. Been there done that and did not work for me. Also tried the patch, hypnosis, gum, and other stuff.

How I finally did it was the ecig. Yes I am still using the ecig. But love my flavors that I make. LOL! I have no intentions of giving that up. Yes there is nicotine in my liquid. But non of the other stuff associated with cigs. I have cut myself back to around 3-5mg a day of nic. I can breath better, taste and smell have come back. I can not believe how strong cigarette smoke is. I never realized it. My doctor is very happy with me. He says my lungs sound much clearer and my O2 levels are much higher. Also I can play with my grand children with out falling over dizzy and panting like a fish out of water.

So just stick to your guns and keep on giving the gift that you have not only given yourself but to your family and all those around you. My hat is off to you!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats..

You, sir, are an inspiration. :eek:

I've got that monkey on my back and really, really want to give it up. I'm just tired of it but have not made the mental committment and preparations to do it.

When I go it will be cold turkey.

If you need extra inspiration, think of the extra ammo you could buy.

• 1 year later...

Well guys,

I just wanted to update this thread and say IT WORKED!

I have not smoked since I started this thread, well over a year and while I have put on a few pounds, I feel so much better! I absolutely hate the stench of cigarette smoke. I just wanted to say that if I can do this then all of you can!

Rant all you want my friend...you deserve the time to say all you need to. Nicotine addiction is a BEAR. I can't speak personally for it, but I watched my father stop that way at the age of 61. He had smoked for 46 years--unfiltered Lucky Strikes. I'm glad for you that you had a loving wife and children strong enough to keep on you to stop and see you through to quitting.

Congrats Roy, well done! Sometimes it's good to be a quitter.

I know how good you feel about quitting, I did it a year ago after 45 years. A pack and a half a day and finally able to quit using Chantix. Lungs feel better, house smells better and the wife is estatic.

I smoked for 13 years. Been quit 9 years. When I quit I was at 2 packs of camels a day. I slung 'em out the window one day and that was it. All the mind games, tricks and physical aids are just gimmicks for the weak. I hear people say I want to quit but I can't. Well, you don't really want to then. If you really want to quit, just quit. It's not easy breaking addiction, but the reason it has such a hold over you is because you let it. It is killing you, therefore it's an enemy. Approach it with such resolve. If you're a stand there and get butt whooped kinda guy, you're not gonna quit. Remember, a cigarette is an inanimate man made object. Are you really going to let such a thing tell you what to do? Where to go? How to live your life?

Good job on quitting by the way!!

Well guys,

I just wanted to update this thread and say IT WORKED!

I have not smoked since I started this thread, well over a year and while I have put on a few pounds, I feel so much better! I absolutely hate the stench of cigarette smoke. I just wanted to say that if I can do this then all of you can!

Congrats Steve! How much of that saved cigarette money has gone towards knives and guns?

I just celebrated my anniversary of quitting smoking this past Saturday. I quit on Dec.31st, 1979. Cigs were 50 cents going up to 75 cents a pack. I smoked 3 packs a day(I usually smoked a pack a day but tried the "easing up" route). I dipped and chewed and smoked little cigars during this 3 month period of trying to quit. I finally just decided to go cold turkey and with lots of praying I did it. I had friends that said "sure you are gonna quit.Ha ha!" and that was the fuel for the fire.

Bottom line is that you have to want to quit. You decide for you,not what you want to do for someone else or what someone else wants you to do.

Stay strong,bro!!

I can't believe it was 33 years!!!