Shoulder Holster Carry

With fall coming, jackets are soon to follow, and with jackets comes superior concealability. How many of you guys use shoulder holsters? What are your thoughts on shoulder holster carry of a full frame pistol? Which shoulder holsters would you recommend and how much do they run?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you asked this because I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking into getting a shoulder holster but for some reason they are horribly expensive. I feel like shoulder holsters have to be way more comfortable than the usual IWB that I use.

I carry my Kimber Pro Carry in a Galco Miami Classic from time to time. I'm not a huge fan of shoulder rigs mainly because of the wide draw stroke and how they can move around. The movement can be remedied by the tie down straps, but that cross draw stroke is still something I don't like if you're in close quarters.

All that being said it conceals well and is great on car/motorcycle trips. It also allows me to dress a bit more comfortably and keeps the weight off my belt. I'm wearing mine this weekend on my bike trip. I'm just not a huge fan of them for EDC.

I carry my Kimber Pro Carry in a Galco Miami Classic from time to time. I'm not a huge fan of shoulder rigs mainly because of the wide draw stroke and how they can move around. The movement can be remedied by the tie down straps, but that cross draw stroke is still something I don't like if you're in close quarters.

All that being said it conceals well and is great on car/motorcycle trips. It also allows me to dress a bit more comfortably and keeps the weight off my belt. I'm wearing mine this weekend on my bike trip. I'm just not a huge fan of them for EDC.

Punny, no one cares about you and your $1,300 Kimber :D:lol:

I have had several over the years. They work well with suits and sport coats. However a quality OWB works well also and really isn't seen. If you use one get a good one. There are a few quality ones out there. To me the Galco Miami Classic is as good as any of them. They cost a lot because a good one is expensive to make. Most of them are crap.

All in all I have never found them to be any better than a good OWB, but that's me. Some people say they are better for large guns. Maybe so, but a good belt married to a good holster is as good for most uses.

The second reason I don't care for them as much is from a training point of view. Most people who I know that use them, use them almost all of the time, or at least nearly every work day. They train to use them and practice with them. I prefer to keep my guns in the same genral area all of the time. My OWB and IWB rigs are worn in nearly the same spot. The same spot where I train for them to be always. I don't wear guns n my pockets either. If I did I would always wear it there. If you change it up all the time WTSHTF you will grab for where your gun is most often. In the heat of the moment if it isn't there your brain will react VERY slowly to try and remember where you have it today.

I do drive a great deal and sometimes wish I had my gun in a shoulder rig on those days. It would be more comfortable. Being left handed I have never been comfortable knowing if I have an attempted car jacking that the person is going to come for the driver's side door and it is awkward no matter what the rig is to have to draw and protect yourself. By the way I have never found a good way to resolve this type of situation.

Edited by Warbird
but in regards to shoulder carry I have been looking at the Miami Classic as Warbird mentioned. But I just don't see myself paying that much for a holster.

Buy your Galco Miami Classic II Shoulder Holster now for the lowest price at LAPoliceGear.com!

And that's a pretty good price for one. I will say this though for whatever it is worth, not much, I seem to recall that I paid nearly the same thing for my first Miami Classic 20 years ago. That first rig was a Jackass Rig, the name of the model as well as the company before it became Galco and before Miami Vice fame gave it a new model name. The company name as well as the model had already changed by the time I got mine, but somehow I ended up with the Jackass Rig. Can't recall now why.

Edited by Warbird
And that's a pretty good price for one. I will say this though for whatever it is worth, not much, I seem to recall that I paid nearly the same thing for my first Miami Classic 20 years ago. That first rig was a Jackass Rig, the name of the model as well as the company before it became Galco and before Miami Vice fame gave it a new model name. The company name as well as the model had already changed by the time I got mine, but somehow I ended up with the Jackass Rig. Can't recall now why.

FWIW, Galco still makes what they call the Jackass Rig, as a separate product from the Miami Classic.

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

- OS

Ready for a laugh? In early spring, I bought a shoulder holster from Sportsman's Guide. It was a cheap nylon one, but it held the weight securely, had clips like suspenders do for tie down, and had a double mag holder on the strong side. I bought it as an experiment for less than $20 to see if I'd like it, before I went and paid too much for a leather one.

Well, I carried that way off and on for a couple of weeks on short trips out to get groceries or whatever. I kind of liked the way it felt not to have the weight on my belt too. I was starting to like it until I went to dinner with the wife and realized...I couldn't take off my coat when we got to the table or everyone would see my Sonny Crockett wannabe rig. So there I was in a VERY warm restaurant trying to eat while wearing my winter coat. I went to the car and took it off, but that was the end of shoulder rig carry for me.

Ready for a laugh? In early spring, I bought a shoulder holster from Sportsman's Guide. It was a cheap nylon one, but it held the weight securely, had clips like suspenders do for tie down, and had a double mag holder on the strong side. I bought it as an experiment for less than $20 to see if I'd like it, before I went and paid too much for a leather one.

Well, I carried that way off and on for a couple of weeks on short trips out to get groceries or whatever. I kind of liked the way it felt not to have the weight on my belt too. I was starting to like it until I went to dinner with the wife and realized...I couldn't take off my coat when we got to the table or everyone would see my Sonny Crockett wannabe rig. So there I was in a VERY warm restaurant trying to eat while wearing my winter coat. I went to the car and took it off, but that was the end of shoulder rig carry for me.

Lol I always end up looking like Bruce Willis in Die Hard when I wear mine.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

I was a child of the 80s. The Miami Classic was one of the first bolsters I purchased. After the cool factor wore off, I found they had more cons than pros.

Pros:

1) easier to access in a seated position, like driving a car.

2) allows for slightly easier carry of large frame pistols and reloads.

Cons

1). Large, sweeping draw stroke requires pointing the muzzle at anyone to your left (or right) as you draw.

2). Shoulder straps print under a light shirt

3). Draw can easily be blocked by a attacker by simply pinning your arm as it crosses your chest.

4). Because of 1 above, no training school will allow you to train with a shoulder rig. Even ranges that allow holster work will not allow shoulder rigs.