Shoulder Holster Carry

Just a reminder.......

Code of Conduct

4. Don't crap on other people's threads

Thread crapping, by definition, is when someone posts off-topic remarks or otherwise steers an existing thread of conversation off onto a tangent unintended by the thread's original poster. Sometimes the perception of "thread crapping" is subjective to the opinion of the original poster or of a Moderator. Other times it is more obvious.

Regardless, thread crapping is strongly frowned upon and may result in Moderator intervention or disciplinary action.

No need to respond to this post in the thread as that would be additional crapping.

Any questions/comments can be PM'd to me.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) easier to access in a seated position, like driving a car.

3). Draw can easily be blocked by a attacker by simply pinning your arm as it crosses your chest.

That info will save me spending for another holster to add the box of those that didn't work.

Thanks for this thread. I've looked at shoulder rigs because I really like to carry a Sig 226 and, frankly, in casual clothes or the summer, that's really tough. Though I wear a suit every day, large guns are still a problem. I end up with a .380 in my pocket or a tuckable IWB holster for the Sig 250 sub. I think based on these comments, I won't waste the money on a shoulder rig but will invest in a better quality and more comfortable tuckable.

Cons

1). Large, sweeping draw stroke requires pointing the muzzle at anyone to your left (or right) as you draw.

And the reverse applies when re-holstering. It's difficult and takes a lot of practice to draw/holster w/o pointing the gun at your chest. There are several instances where someone shot themself while practicing with a shoulder rig. While neither is pleasant, there's a big difference between shooting yourself in the leg/arse compared to the chest.

Thanks for this thread. I've looked at shoulder rigs because I really like to carry a Sig 226 and, frankly, in casual clothes or the summer, that's really tough. Though I wear a suit every day, large guns are still a problem. I end up with a .380 in my pocket or a tuckable IWB holster for the Sig 250 sub. I think based on these comments, I won't waste the money on a shoulder rig but will invest in a better quality and more comfortable tuckable.

+1. I think I'll save my $$ as well. The cons seem to outweigh the pros

Guest Risky Ruger

in my opinion, its the best concelable way to carry when comfort is a factor. I wear a crossbreed which is great, but shoulder holster seems more comfortable. By buddy had one he uses when he hunts, but i don't have one yet. It just means you have to keep your jacket on all the time if you want to conceal 100%

I use a rather inexpensive shoulder rig at times. know the problems with changing carry etc.Live on small farm and ahve found that when working with, on, or around farm equiptment IWB or OWB is not practical. Getting hung up, jabbed and bruised by gun butt, as well as dirt and debris are major problems. Well adjusted shoulder rig tied down has pretty much solved these problems. Real drawback is gun presentation, slow and ackward compared to IWB or OWB. Have a small range affording multiple targets and ability to move and fire. So do sometimes practice with shoulder rig, but it is not my normal every day carry. OWB strong side is. My opinion for the 2 cents is that for some, the shoulder rig has practical applications.

I use a rather inexpensive shoulder rig at times. know the problems with changing carry etc.Live on small farm and ahve found that when working with, on, or around farm equiptment IWB or OWB is not practical. Getting hung up, jabbed and bruised by gun butt, as well as dirt and debris are major problems. Well adjusted shoulder rig tied down has pretty much solved these problems. Real drawback is gun presentation, slow and ackward compared to IWB or OWB. Have a small range affording multiple targets and ability to move and fire. So do sometimes practice with shoulder rig, but it is not my normal every day carry. OWB strong side is. My opinion for the 2 cents is that for some, the shoulder rig has practical applications.

Get a rifle for the farm.

Also work with and ride horses and found early on that a lot of holsters can easily become problematic at a full lope or canter. Retention can be a real problem with some. Found 2 solutions over the last couple years. My shoulder rig works very well, even with the hardest riding and occasional jumps over logs etc. My Serpa Blackhawk with it's active retention holds my S&W full size 9mm nice and secure. BTW have never lost a student or had to explain my tool to a worried parent etc. Occasional casual question may come up, never been a problem. Might be there perception of the "old" cowboy lifestyle or personality .

Back in the early 70’s Troopers in uniform had to carry the issue revolver. But the TBI wasn’t so strict. The first time I was assigned to work undercover with the TBI, Senior Agent Warren Jones was the boss. He was Old School, and the one who did all of the Buford Pusser investigations. He always dressed in a short sleeve white shirt & tie, a jacket if it was warm enough. He always wore a hat, had an ID case in his shirt pocket and a 4” S&W revolver hanging off his belt. You could tell who he was from a mile away.

He said it would be fine for me to carry an auto so first day undercover I showed up with a S&W Model 59 in a shoulder holster and a light jacket. First thing out of his mouth was some reference to me being a dumb a$$, that I was supposed to be undercover and that the whole world would look at me and know who I was. After another half hour lecture on professionalism, and the passing comments of other Troops in uniform, I ended up with the 59 in my boot for the rest of the day.

I’ve tried to use a shoulder holster since them a few times but the glammer was gone, and they don’t work real well for big men anyway.

Cherokee Slim

Exactly. I have one coming from a member here. Around here, in or on the waist gets in the way and I don't like unholstering and laying it someplace, so I don't carry much. If I'm going into the woods I have to go and get something to carry. I think the shoulder rig will work well.

Guest TargetShooter84

Whew!

Am I glad I didn't start a thread about this! LOL

I saw several at the gun show and man they are freakin' EXPENSIVE! I thought about one for jogging but after looking at them, they're not snug enough for jogging or whatever, just for long car trips is pretty much it.

Looking into a tuckables now.

I've got a few, for different guns, and the only one that I really don't mind wearing is one I bought from a member on here, thats made for a PF9 or equivalent. I thinks its a Miami jackass style by Galco...suede leather and natural brown color. It keep shifting on me so I went and bought a pair of tie downs for it, and it works much better now...I like to concept more than the reality though...seems like a strong side belt carry, with my pants also attached to a pair of suspenders, is the most comfortable long time carry with easy quick draw capability. But shoulder holster is good for sitting in car or office.

Edited by barewoolf
Whew!

Am I glad I didn't start a thread about this! LOL

I saw several at the gun show and man they are freakin' EXPENSIVE! I thought about one for jogging but after looking at them, they're not snug enough for jogging or whatever, just for long car trips is pretty much it.

Looking into a tuckables now.

What I have always used for running and really physical activity is the much maligned fanny pack. Mine is made specifically for carry and has always worked well. It is the only time I use t, but for those purposes it works well.

Guest TargetShooter84
What I have always used for running and really physical activity is the much maligned fanny pack. Mine is made specifically for carry and has always worked well. It is the only time I use t, but for those purposes it works well.

Can you give me a few tips on brands you suggest? I don't want it to be super expensive though, ya know? It would be for Kel Tec PF9 or possibly Glock 26 for now until I find a PF9...

Can you give me a few tips on brands you suggest? I don't want it to be super expensive though, ya know? It would be for Kel Tec PF9 or possibly Glock 26 for now until I find a PF9...

heck just got to China-mart and pick one up. I got one for around 10 bucks. I don't jog much but when I do it works just fine for my LCR. No need to spend a ton of money on something as silly as a fanny pack.

I will have to look and see who made it. I have had it probably 15 years. It is fairly small and light.

I do not believe in the buy any fanny pack it will do fine stuff. Mine is a holster. It can easily be set up with the use of the zipper and two tabs which stick out from each side, to be set up to yank open very quickly. Inside it has a velcro strip with a holster. You can change the angle of the holster inside or adjust the snaps which hold the gun in the holster if you use them. I carry my G27 in mine and it has a small pocket on the outside that easily holds and extra mag or two. They don't cost a whole lot, mne might have been $40, but I don't know who makes them now or how much they run, not a lot. There are several companies that still make them as they are actually used fairly regularly by EP bodyguards

Guest TargetShooter84
I will have to look and see who made it. I have had it probably 15 years. It is fairly small and light.

I do not believe in the buy any fanny pack it will do fine stuff. Mine is a holster. It can easily be set up with the use of the zipper and two tabs which stick out from each side, to be set up to yank open very quickly. Inside it has a velcro strip with a holster. You can change the angle of the holster inside or adjust the snaps which hold the gun in the holster if you use them. I carry my G27 in mine and it has a small pocket on the outside that easily holds and extra mag or two. They don't cost a whole lot, mne might have been $40, but I don't know who makes them now or how much they run, not a lot. There are several companies that still make them as they are actually used fairly regularly by EP bodyguards

Do you remember where you bought it? Or maybe have a couple ideas of who may carry them? Or would most gun shops have them?

To the others about using regular fanny packs....I have few of them but they just stick out too far and I rather use something that is sturdy and will keep my gun from bouncing around when jogging.

Do you remember where you bought it? Or maybe have a couple ideas of who may carry them? Or would most gun shops have them?

To the others about using regular fanny packs....I have few of them but they just stick out too far and I rather use something that is sturdy and will keep my gun from bouncing around when jogging.

I'm out of town right now. When I get back I will check out and see if I can seem who made it. If I recall I got it at a gun show, but that could have been anywhere. I have probably had it for 15 years or more.