Felon friend shooting

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Felons should never be in possession of a firearm. There is some gray area regarding black powder weapons are not "firearms" within the meaning of federal law. Though I know of no case law on point, I have been arguing with a Sumner County DA as to whether they are prohibited weapons under Tennessee law. I argue that are not.

As to sex offenders, I can't think of any misdemeanor that puts you on the sex offender register.

Not sure about TN, but there are people who have gotten on the SO list for public nudity & similar misconduct. There have been a number of extreme examples where people were put on the list for very minor things; one was for a guy who was nekkid in his own home but some kids saw him through a window, that was a big case a year or 2 back (not sure how it turned out).

The TCA was updated a few years back to just read "firearm" and not handgun where it relates to being a felon or having a domestic violence conviction.

Here is the best link I could find for the latest version - http://www.lexisnexi...ttopics/tncode/

You have to agree to the terms before browsing the code but if you look at 39-17-1307( B) and the definitions at 39-11-106, it doesn't just prohibit a handgun anymore.

It prohibits all firearms for felony involving the use or attempted use of force, violence or a deadly weapon, and felony drug offense

It prohibits handguns for any felony

Thus, TN does not prohibit long guns for felonies other than the ones listed.

Federal law prohibits all firearms for all felonies, and that's the difference on which I was commenting. So an embezzler, or G. Gordon Liddy, could legally possess long guns under TN law, but still be guilty of another felony under federal law.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I tried multiple times to keep the smiley face from showing up but a "b" in parenthesis makes that show up.

yeah, a "b" in parenthesis = ( B)

a "c" in parenthesis = ©

Irritating "feature", especially when pasting legal stuff...

Edited by OhShoot