New Gun Shop in Chattanooga

deafdogdief

A gun shop opened recently here in Chattanooga. I found it very interesting to pick up a brand new Sig p239 9mm and find that the breech area of the barrel had been colored in with black marker. Is it normal to cover up marks w/marker from racking the slide? I am aware that if I am looking for a gun the bluing will most likely be a bit worn from assembly and handling.

A walk around the store shows that most stuff looked as if it was very old and someone cleaned out their attic or bought some old stores out and put it int their new location. After engaging one person about a magazine I was looking for they had it! The person then proceeded to lie to me that it was an out of production mag and that I needed to snatch it up NOW! Kind of amazing that it was for a new line of a gun and that they were supposedly quitting production.

I don't know if I can name the store without drawing heat here so I'll just say that these new people in the non-big box store need to have their shoppers proceed with caution.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnxdshooter
A gun shop opened recently here in Chattanooga. I found it very interesting to pick up a brand new Sig p239 9mm and find that the breech area of the barrel had been colored in with black marker. Is it normal to cover up marks w/marker from racking the slide? I am aware that if I am looking for a gun the bluing will most likely be a bit worn from assembly and handling.

A walk around the store shows that most stuff looked as if it was very old and someone cleaned out their attic or bought some old stores out and put it int their new location. After engaging one person about a magazine I was looking for they had it! The person then proceeded to lie to me that it was an out of production mag and that I needed to snatch it up NOW! Kind of amazing that it was for a new line of a gun and that they were supposedly quitting production.

I don't know if I can name the store without drawing heat here so I'll just say that these new people in the non-big box store need to have their shoppers proceed with caution.

Ive seen that stores prices vary anywhere from more than 100.00 over what big box stores charge or even skip dempsey charges in ooltewah which I have never been able to beat skips prices anywhere I have checked.

. Is it normal to cover up marks w/marker from racking the slide?

Some of the big box stores sell "bluing pens" which are awfully similar to a Sharpie. Maybe it was just an overzealous clerk. Can you PM me the name of the shop? I have an idea which one it was because I just did a transfer through them and saw their showroom for the first time; I was really underwhelmed by their selection despite advertising one of the best selections in town. . . . on the other hand, the counter staff was really helpful, informative, and nice. . . but I'm not interested in paying new prices for 2nd hand guns.

TGO doesn't shield stores from bad reviews.

I may be wrong but I think the only new shop in town is Shooter's Depot.

Well, you are correct, unless another one has opened that I am not aware of. I have dealt with them quite a bit and I have not had a bad experience with them. Even though I really like Carl at Sportsman's and Ray at Carter's, Shooter's Depot has become my prefered local dealer.

After talking and getting to know Carl and Ray over the past year, I can now get a discount from them, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. I know most people dislike both of them, but I have found they are quite pleasant to talk to. However, based on the deals I have gotten from Shooter's Depot, they are the first people I go to. My most recent transaction with Shooter's was getting them to order me a Springfield Professional. Chris gave me a really good price, and they were shocked that I offered to put 50% down on the gun. I was rather surprised that they weren't going to make me put down a deposit, but I insisted a down payment.

In regards to inventory, I would say that Shooter's has the largest selection of handguns out of the non big box stores, followed by Carters, then Sportsman's. Will Shooter's have a handgun in stock that I want? Probably not, but neither will the others. The only store that I know of that is a relatively close distance and might have what I want in stock is Hero Gear. For long guns, Sportsman's, without a doubt. I think Shooter's has a very meager supply of long guns. However, they are pretty much a new store, so it will take some time. I could be wrong, but I think even fantastic stores like Hero Gear probably started out relatively small.

As far as prices go, I think they are all pretty close, with a slight edge going to Shooter's.

While I can always make the drive up to Winchester, I do hope that Shooter's does well. I think Carl is going to retire pretty soon, so that will leave us with Shooter's and Carter's. If they go under, then we are left with nothing but pawn shops and the big box stores, and I would just assume buy online than buy from either of them.

Guest tnxdshooter
Well, you are correct, unless another one has opened that I am not aware of. I have dealt with them quite a bit and I have not had a bad experience with them. Even though I really like Carl at Sportsman's and Ray at Carter's, Shooter's Depot has become my prefered local dealer.

After talking and getting to know Carl and Ray over the past year, I can now get a discount from them, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them. I know most people dislike both of them, but I have found they are quite pleasant to talk to. However, based on the deals I have gotten from Shooter's Depot, they are the first people I go to. My most recent transaction with Shooter's was getting them to order me a Springfield Professional. Chris gave me a really good price, and they were shocked that I offered to put 50% down on the gun. I was rather surprised that they weren't going to make me put down a deposit, but I insisted a down payment.

In regards to inventory, I would say that Shooter's has the largest selection of handguns out of the non big box stores, followed by Carters, then Sportsman's. Will Shooter's have a handgun in stock that I want? Probably not, but neither will the others. The only store that I know of that is a relatively close distance and might have what I want in stock is Hero Gear. For long guns, Sportsman's, without a doubt. I think Shooter's has a very meager supply of long guns. However, they are pretty much a new store, so it will take some time. I could be wrong, but I think even fantastic stores like Hero Gear probably started out relatively small.

As far as prices go, I think they are all pretty close, with a slight edge going to Shooter's.

While I can always make the drive up to Winchester, I do hope that Shooter's does well. I think Carl is going to retire pretty soon, so that will leave us with Shooter's and Carter's. If they go under, then we are left with nothing but pawn shops and the big box stores, and I would just assume buy online than buy from either of them.

No one can be Skip dempsys customer service or prices in the area. Trust me I have shopped around a great deal.

I've never dealt with them, but I thought Skip's Firearms is going out of business.

Skips is only doing transfers and is listed as going out of business, very sad, they always had the best prices and service.

I had bought 5 guns from him in the last few yrs and i just wish they could open another store!

All i ever looked at at Shooter's Depot was overpriced and all i know say so, their accessories are really priced even higher.

Most of us have made choices with out researching, then we discover a better deal down the road, it's done, hopefully we learn and resist buying on the spur of the moment with out comparing prices:tough:

I have to admit, they did have a good amount of what I consider "top shelf guns". Covering things up with pen to aid in a sale really casts a shadow of doubt, though.

Guest RevScottie
A walk around the store shows that most stuff looked as if it was very old and someone cleaned out their attic or bought some old stores out and put it int their new location.

In all honesty I will have to 100% disagree with the op concerning the inventory at Shooters Depot. They have a good selection of both new and used handguns. I visit that store at least weekly and their inventory turns very quickly. Always lots of new guns on the shelf. They were one of the first stores in town to have a .357 Ruger LCR so it certainly isn't a bunch of old stock. Yes they are higher than big box stores and don't have as much inventory but I have dealt with them extensively and have always been treated fairly and honestly on both new purchases and trades. I have recommended Shooters to several friends and they have been pleased as well. ;)

Guest tnxdshooter
Not that I am aware of. He only works one day a week on wednesdays.

Well maybe they are.

This was posted on the website.

We will no longer have set hours. We are doing firearms transfers only at this time. No new guns ordered. If you have a transfer please contact us via email before you send it to Skip's. sales@skipsfirearms.com

Thank you.

Skip

Well maybe they are.

This was posted on the website.

We will no longer have set hours. We are doing firearms transfers only at this time. No new guns ordered. If you have a transfer please contact us via email before you send it to Skip's. sales@skipsfirearms.com

Thank you.

Skip

The next sentence onsite might be a clue also:

"Going out of business. This inventory is priced to sell. Available to Dealers or the general public."

- OS