Greatest Rock Band Ever

Garufa

I have seen Rush 3 times, they were the best sounding Live band I have seen, the Rolling Stones however was the Best concert I have ever been to, Mike357, I would have loved to have seen Zeppelin just to say I did but that was before my time

Pink Floyd I saw in Cleveland Ohio in 86 that was an experience as well

Best Rock Band? for me would have to be the Rolling Stones followed very closely by Zeppelin

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw zep at the first atlanta pop festival 1969, before the second album was released. Lots of bands on the stage that weekend, and zep wasn't near the most interesting. "Its a Beautiful Day" and "Spirit with Randy California" were at least two that were a lot more interesting.

Haven't been to a zillion concerts because I was too busy playing music to go to many. The most enjoyable I remember were several Allman Bros concerts including a free park day concert in Atlanta before the first album. The members of Atlanta Rhythm Section, after dropping the "Candy Men" name, and before adopting "Atlanta Rhythm Section", played an Atlanta park gig that was fun.

Yardbirds with Beck circa 1966 in Valdosta Ga city auditorium. Mind blowing. Cream outdoors in Atlanta in 1968, at Emory U if I recall. Really strong.

Good memories, and great music. Saw Eric Clapton and Muddy Waters do a show together once. Holy crap.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I also did not care much for the ZEP after the first album but they certainly have quite a following and are always mentioned when these type questions come up.

I was quite pleased to see MY all time favorite the Allman Brothers Band mentioned here several times already. I saw them once in Orlando and once in Cassleberry a burb of Orlando, and then again at the 20th Anniversary Tour Show in the park outside the old Gator Bowl in Jacksonville. The band was actually set up on a barge in the St. Johns river. I remember we were a tad late and all the security people were walking out of the park as the show was starting as we were coming into the park, I asked one of them why and the answer was that they knew there would be no trouble from that crowd.....It still sticks in my mind as a very cool moment.:dirty:

Deep Purple is also a huge fav from back in the day. I got to see them in the Orange bowl in Miami many many moons ago, and yep it was one heck of a show....I think;)

Pink Floyd is also way up on my list.:taunt:

I also did not care much for the ZEP after the first album but they certainly have quite a following and are always mentioned when these type questions come up.

Deep Purple is also a huge fav from back in the day. I got to see them in the Orange bowl in Miami many many moons ago, and yep it was one heck of a show....I think;)

I find it interesting that two of you lost interest with Zeppelin after the self titled album when Led Zeppelin II or Physical Graffiti are generally regarded as their best stuff.

And I was deeply torn between Deep Purple and GFR as the greatest rock band ever. Rock reached a pinnacle in the early to mid 70's.

I find it interesting that two of you lost interest with Zeppelin after the self titled album when Led Zeppelin II or Physical Graffiti are generally regarded as their best stuff.

It's all a matter of opnion my man. I and II where put out within the same year and are heavily bluesly...par for the British bands of the time. III which many people hate, but is actually one of the best, was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis. After that they blew the doors off the rock scene.

My wife (an INTENSE Floyd fan) said version 2, then 1, then 3.

I say simply the David years, though the 90s waned.

I am in agreement with your wife.

It's all a matter of opnion my man. I and II where put out within the same year and are heavily bluesly...par for the British bands of the time. III which many people hate, but is actually one of the best, was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis. After that they blew the doors off the rock scene.

I have all there stuff on vinyl, but I have had ll three times on LP and still have it on CD. And I still get mad if I hear Heartbreaker on the radio and they do not play Living Loving Maid along with it.

Guest Sgt. Joe

And I was deeply torn between Deep Purple and GFR as the greatest rock band ever. Rock reached a pinnacle in the early to mid 70's.

Not so much lost interest as I got tired of all the overplay on the radio, there were a few years that it seemed every set of songs included a Zep song and Stairway to Heaven was played several times every day.

But as far as "over-play" I still can not stand Steve Millers, Fly like an Eagle and Take the Money and Run and still to this day will change the station or simply turn off the radio rather than hear them songs again.

Strange I know but true, those songs still make my skin crawl.

And speaking of Eagles they certainly have to be considered as one of the best bands ever.

Which Floyd?....Dark side of the Moon days...of course.... I AM the Lunatic on the grass.:dirty:

I am also a huge Jimmy Buffett fan but one could hardly consider his music as rock, although HE called it Drunken Caribbean Rock and Roll.:taunt:

'tallica, for the simple reason that they play incredibly well and mostly because their fans have always come first in regards to the band playing for them as much as for the themselves, unlike some of the bands mentioned so far, headtrips and all.

I also saw Zep in '77 and wasn't that impressed even @ $7.50. Also survived The Who "Death Concert" that was kinda surreal afterwards. First concert ever was Grand Funk Railroad in 1970. Top 5 shows were The Eagles, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Allman Bros., Pink Floyd and Santana.

Guest Lester Weevils

Eagles really were good, but not straight-ahead rock, however you define rock.

There are many fabulously talented players, famous and not. There are many good showmen. IMO the essence of rock doesn't necessarily need impeccable musicianship, though it doesn't hurt. I don't care a whit about showmanship, and often slick showmanship makes me less interested in the product. Wit is nice in rock, and energy is essential.

Most zep just doesn't keep me interested enough to listen. AC/DC is a pretty good primitive band.

IMO this may be close to the ideal straight-ahead rock performance--

These guys were tapping into something--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7UORh-0XwE

It is difficult to find a Wishbone Ash tune that cranks up and just keeps going. They were able to use dynamics and so one needed at least a little attention span or interest to get engaged. Here is a snip that catches them closer to the higher-energy side of the spectrum--

Jimmy Page got his start with the Yardbirds, as did Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton. Yardbirds were not especially musically accomplished except for their guitarists. Bluesmaster Sonny Boy Williamson said of the Yardbirds, "These British want to play the blues so bad, and they play the blues so bad!†But they had a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myswB5uM9uc

Page was the Yardbirds last guitarist and kinda outlasted the original members. Here is a curiosity-- Jimmy Page's incarnation of the Yardbirds doing Dazed and Confused shortly before forming Zeppelin--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58mQvW0ROag

I feel bad having to correct so many old farts, but it's neither Led Zep, nor The Who, nor Pink Floyd (in any incarnation).

The best ROCK AND ROLL band of all time is Van Halen. (That also includes what is sometimes called "Van Hagar"). . . as long as they have Eddie Van Halen on his axe and Michael Anthony on bass/backup vocals, then they win the contest of Rock.

I feel bad having to correct so many old farts, but it's neither Led Zep, nor The Who, nor Pink Floyd (in any incarnation).

The best ROCK AND ROLL band of all time is Van Halen. (That also includes what is sometimes called "Van Hagar"). . . as long as they have Eddie Van Halen on his axe and Michael Anthony on bass/backup vocals, then they win the contest of Rock.

You're joking right? I like VH, but there are far better bands.