Greatest Rock Band Ever

Garufa

So who do you think is the greatest rock band of all time? I have many favorites but the one that never lets me down, that I never turn off, that no one can make me adjust the volume on is....

Led Zeppelin. :rolleyes:

I've been this way my entire life.

Rock on and get some Led for your head tonight....:cool:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull-o-knee.:taunt: U2 isn't even the greatest Irish band of all time. That distinction belongs to The Pogues. Heck, I'd put The Cranberries ahead of U2- Delores O'Riordan is HOT.:dirty:

haha, just being the odd ball. Never really cared for Zeppelin all that much. Of course it's subjective, but globally I would say U2 has had a much bigger influence on a much more diverse audience than Zepplin ever had. Either way something has to be said about the few artist than can stand the test of time and still keep going. Whether that be Zepplin, U2, the Stones, etc.

Guest Lester Weevils

Its hard to say. Zep's first album with the Hindenburg on the cover was the only Zep album I really liked. They seemed tedious sellout show-offs after the first album, but everybody has an opinion and mine isn't special.

Lots of bands 'had their moments', but it is hard to pick one greatest. Also, would a funk or rock-blues or art-rock band be in the running, or does it have to be straight-ahead rock?

Trying to stay in the generic rock category, no straight blues or R&B/Soul in this list. Some bands that were pretty strong in their better moments--

Allman Brothers

Buffalo Springfield / Neal Young with Crazy Horse

Butterfield Blues Band with Michael Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop

Chuck Berry

Cream

Creedence Clearwater

Grateful Dead

Jefferson Airplane (NOT starship)

Hendrix

Hollies

Little Feat

Moody Blues

Procol Harum (original lineup)

Quicksilver Messenger Service (first two albums before their wimpy singer got out of prison)

Early Steve Miller

Shadows

Steve Winwood

Ventures

Early Wishbone Ash (at least when they would play celtic rock and avoid the embarrassing wimpy brit southern blues)

Yardbirds with Clapton, Beck, or Page

Yes (spotty output, but some was outstanding)

ZZ Top (they keep on doin it for decades)

Edited by Lester Weevils
Based totally on bands I've seen, Zep is the best rock band, although the Who is so close..... Allman Brothers with Duane is the best jam band ever, and CSNY has the best harmonies.

You Sir are my Hero if you in fact saw the original Led Zeppelin :dirty: I have seen many a great Rock band in concert but unfortunately not them

You Sir are my Hero if you in fact saw the original Led Zeppelin :dirty: I have seen many a great Rock band in concert but unfortunately not them

I'm no hero, but indeed I did. Saw both Zep and the Who in Greensboro, NC. CSNY was the first concert I attended where they sold beer. My prayers had been answered.:taunt:

I saw Zep in 77, bought a scalper ticker for 25 bucks, face value was 7.50. They were loud as all get out. Probably the loudest concert I ever attended. Plant seemed very lacking. Maybe he had an off night. Glad I saw them, but I don't think you missed much.

If you are a Zep fan at all, you owe it to yourseld to get the DVD "Led Zeppelin". It's remastered footage of concerts (both video and sound) that show how really awesome they really were as musicians and performers. They show footage from late 60's/early 70's that looks like it was filmed yesterday. While wathing this w/ my kids one day, my wife walked in and said, "wow, they were amazing". It's a fantastic DVD. Jimmy Page produced it and again, shows what a talented individual he is.

Guest Lester Weevils

I saw zep at the first atlanta pop festival 1969, before the second album was released. Lots of bands on the stage that weekend, and zep wasn't near the most interesting. "Its a Beautiful Day" and "Spirit with Randy California" were at least two that were a lot more interesting.

Haven't been to a zillion concerts because I was too busy playing music to go to many. The most enjoyable I remember were several Allman Bros concerts including a free park day concert in Atlanta before the first album. The members of Atlanta Rhythm Section, after dropping the "Candy Men" name, and before adopting "Atlanta Rhythm Section", played an Atlanta park gig that was fun.

Yardbirds with Beck circa 1966 in Valdosta Ga city auditorium. Mind blowing. Cream outdoors in Atlanta in 1968, at Emory U if I recall. Really strong.