Finally bought a 1911, but have a few questions

HanSolo

I bought a Rock Island 1911 a2 double stack .45 the other day. The double stack was recommended to me, but I am not completely sure about it and was hoping for some advice from the wise 1911 brethern on here.

The gun is pretty big as far as the grip, I do not have any experience in 1911s so i am not sure how much difference there is between the single and double as far as that goes.

Also, I really do not like the look of the grips on it and I have been having trouble finding any grips to fit it, everything out there seems to only be for single stack.

So....I was hoping to get some feedback on the gun itself to help me decide if I should keep it or try to trade it. I have yet to fire the gun.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So....I was hoping to get some feedback on the gun itself to help me decide if I should keep it or try to trade it. I have yet to fire the gun.

Go shoot it and see if you like it. Double stacks aren’t very popular with most 1911 shooters. Fired or unfired if you bought it new you probably won’t get what you paid for it so go have fun with it.

Sitting there holding it in your hands the realization that it isn’t a carry gun has sunk in. :mad:

So if you want a range gun; try it out.

Well, the single stack of the old 1911s was a big reason for me never toting one as a carry weapon. That's why I went for a Beretta 92 instead. But I actually expected to be in a position to repeatedly fire the weapon somewhere other than a Wal-Mart parking lot or the range.

Just have fun with it. RIAs are a lot of fun and very good, as 1911s go.

Guest Steelharp
Well, the single stack of the old 1911s was a big reason for me never toting one as a carry weapon. That's why I went for a Beretta 92 instead.

Huh?? I guess you're referring to capacity... because gripwise, the 92 can't even come into the same ball park parking lot...

Guest bkelm18

I carry a 1911 all the time. Single stack. Nice and slim. I'd go ahead and try yours out. You aren't going to get anything near what you bought it for so you might as well give it a go.

Huh?? I guess you're referring to capacity... because gripwise, the 92 can't even come into the same ball park parking lot...

Well, that's an interesting opinion. One I don't share. The grip on the 92 is fine, even for those of us with smaller hands.

But yes, I was talking about capacity. I'd much rather have 16 9mm rounds rather than 8 .45s.

Guest Steelharp

That is why there are different pistols for different folks. To me, the 92 is one of the most uncomfortable grips out there.

Viva la difference!! :)

But yes, I was talking about capacity. I'd much rather have 16 9mm rounds rather than 8 .45s.

thelordsround.jpg

:)

Yeah the big question on your 1911 is do YOU like it. If YOU like it, keep it.

That is why there are different pistols for different folks. To me, the 92 is one of the most uncomfortable grips out there.

Viva la difference!! :(

Even in Vietnam, I declined to carry a 1911, instead choosing to carry additional M16 rounds. Finally, in the 80s I bought the Beretta 92 SB and carried it for years with the original grips. I finally changed out the grips for some that were thinner. The thinner grips do help a bit, but I never had a problem shooting the 92 with the original grips.

I'm not going to say that the Beretta has the most comfortable grips. But for some reason they work well with the rest of the package. It is still my most accurate handgun. I can not shoot it for six months and then pick it up and be pretty much dead-on.

If I was using a handgun at very close quarter, what I call "commies coming over the berm", I'd probably rather have a 45 ACP weapon - with higher reliability than a 1911 and a lot more than 7 rounds in the magazine. :)

Guest Steelharp

Mars, while I hardly know you, I have a great deal of respect for you, and appreciation of your service and knowledge. I am grateful for your presence here.

(Now for the tongue in cheek)... but we all know from reading the "Armchair Commandos Guide to Pistol Ballistics" (available FREE on any of these gunboards in any given thread) that it takes 7 rounds of 9mm just to piss off a single adversary, while the .45 will take out three with a single round, thereby making 8 rounds effective on 24 attackers, while your 15 rounds of 9mm will simply aggravate 2 guys. :P

Convert it to .460 Rowland, and you'll have a high-capacity hand-cannon...

Double-stack 1911s all but destroy the beauty of the original design, by turning a slim full-size pistol which is possible to comfortably conceal, into a bulky pistol which is a bear to carry and has less than ideal ergonomics.

The Beretta 92/96 grip is certainly wider than a single-stack 1911, but not as wide as a double-stack 1911... It is shorter front-to-back than both.

Berettas are excellent shooting pistols, IMHO... They are low-recoil and very consistent. I loved mine, and would have no qualms buying and carrying another one.

Try putting a pair of rubber grips on it. Either Hogue or Pachmyer should have something to fit your gun. A set of these can make a complete change in the fit of your gun. They aren't pretty but for what you are going to use it for,they do a nice job.

Try putting a pair of rubber grips on it. Either Hogue or Pachmyer should have something to fit your gun. A set of these can make a complete change in the fit of your gun. They aren't pretty but for what you are going to use it for,they do a nice job.

Interesting you should say that. One of the things I did on my Rock Island 1911 was add a wrap-around set of Pachmyers that effectively made the gun a wide grip. It also made the gun much more pretty. :D

we see alot of double stack 1911 and 2011 in USPSA not very many in 45, but the wife still has hers in 45. My favorite is my double stack 9. you could try talking to EGW or Dawson about grip choices that may be out there for your 1911. i know that S & A makes replacement wood grips for Para. they may also have something for your 1911 also.