Told Some Teens To Beat It

I was standing on my front deck tonight which is fronting the street,to make a long story short,there were about 8 teenagers walking one way down the street and from the other direction was a young couple walking 2 small dogs.Apparently there are some issues between these sets of fine upstanding youngsters.First some name calling erupted then the physical wording of someones going to get their a###s beat down.So I opened my big mouth and told them to keep moving in opposite directions or I was calling the law,well I got some mouthing off but they did move along,eventually I was able to come in and calm down.anyone ever have to deal with what appears to be the starting of some type of gang activity,now I am a little worried that they may retaliate by vandalizing our vehicles or possibly worse.any ideas anyone,was it handled correctly,what would you have done.I dont feel as I should have to put up with this behavior in front of my house or in front of my grandchildren.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

You did the right thing. Good to hear about it. Sure, there may be consequences, but

I would hope another fellow citizen steps up. The more people stand up to that stuff,

the less it will have to happen.

Guest mosinon

First off telling teens to "beat it" is redundant. They spend most of their time doing that anyway.

You did the right thing, kids look for limits and since so few are willing to provide them it is a good thing you did. I'm sure you remember when you were a kid and someone laid the smackdown on you. You were all "I'll get that bastard! I'll get even!" until the next thing came along.

If threats were made, then yes, you need to call the law and at least file a report.

I'd keep my cell phone or some kind of video recording device handy at all times. It will help build your case should you have a repeat occurrence.

Yah,now I have been going out and doing a security check just to make sure there is nothing askew,it may have been the right response but sometimes it makes a person wonder if its really worth the extra headache and worry.

"What hope do we have when the good people do nothing?"

See also my signature. ;)

Guest mustangdave

IMHO...you did good...yes get the police involved...be VISIBLE...it works as a great deterant. We had problems with the teenagers in my subdivision...the ADULTS let them know WE ARE WATCHING...and reporting. These kids can't fart or sneeze and WE don't know about it. Had a few busts for drugs...and it quieted down. Neighborhood WATCH works

Well,completed the night with no more further adventures.The feud between these 2 entities is not over,it was starting already about 4 days ago,we were out going for a walk and all these teens were in the middle of another street a block over shouting obsenities and calling out these other 2 young people.Its getting so a person cant even go for a simple stroll without the local theatrical events.I just wish people would grow up and act right,of coarse it makes me wonder where the parental units are at when this kinda behavior is present.I think the parents are the ones that need the smackdown.

Guest drv2fst

You did a good thing. Keep up the vigilance. Your neighbors will appreciate it. Punks need to know that there are consequences to their actions/provocations. Report it to the police to CYA in preparation for future conflicts. Ask the couple to report it as well. Teenagers need some room to push the boundaries. But there must be boundaries. Threats against adults are where the boundaries need to be enforced.

I yell at the neighborhood punks all the time for walking through my yard. I like to think that, by virtue of me being scary, they decide their mischief is better spent elsewhere. I know exactly what house I'm going to if my property ever gets vandalized.

Guest drv2fst

There is a very fine line here. People need to stand up for their property and their neighbors. However, keep in mind that these issues can escalate beyond reason. Please everyone make sure that they don't escalate beyond what is reasonable.

This happened to my cousin several years ago. He was a rowdy teenager but not out to hurt anyone. Some wacko shot him over nothing. It's important to think about where to draw the line between a nuisance and a threat. As always, use good judgment.

Well,completed the night with no more further adventures.The feud between these 2 entities is not over,it was starting already about 4 days ago,we were out going for a walk and all these teens were in the middle of another street a block over shouting obsenities and calling out these other 2 young people.Its getting so a person cant even go for a simple stroll without the local theatrical events.I just wish people would grow up and act right,of coarse it makes me wonder where the parental units are at when this kinda behavior is present.I think the parents are the ones that need the smackdown.

I would consider installing one or more security cameras on your property; they aren't that expensive anymore and can be a big help should any of these low-lifes actually do anything.

And yes, absolutely file a police report....start building a record about what has happened.

Guest mustangdave
if you have a video camera put it on them when they are around, every time. you might get something good to put on you tube.

Pretty much what we did as an HOA/NW we put up a surveillance rig in the area where the little malcontents like to congregate the camera sees EVERYTHING...will even take pics...and it has IR for night vision capabilities. from the legal side...we had to post signs at the entrances to the subdivision stating that YOU are being SURVEILED...amazing how the crime and general stupidity has dropped off. Oh...and a couple of these kids have pretty good jump shots too.