Why are people so scared?

Guest ADAM

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Punisher, why do you carry? I carry for self protection. I have a permit to carry a concealed handgun. When I was your age I did not have the option so I had to depend on my brain, my brawn and my feets. I have talked my way out of trouble, fought my way out of trouble and run my way out of trouble. I'm still a big man but I'm 55 years old. I can't run any more and I ain't sure how a kin fight hand to hand. Carrying concealed just evens the playing field. I hope I never have to draw down on anyone. I joke about soiling my pants or having a heart attack becuase I don't feel like I need to strut like a young rooster. I try to be good natured when I can.

Did you read my post? If not read DaveTN's. He summed it up quite nicely.

DaveTN. The shooting in the hips thing I got from Massad Ayoob. You don't know me so you can only speculate on my skills in martial arts or small arms. You are welcome to form an opinion of me by my posts. I certainly have an opinion about you. :panic:

I don't pretend to be an expert on handguns and self defense. I'm just a student. From your posts you must be an expert in guerrilla warfare, a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. :popcorn: Rambo! Wait! You ain't Rambo. You said in the previous post that you were faster than a speeding bullet. You are Superman!

Sorry Dave, but that Al Gore remark was a low blow.

Look at minute 6:32 that's when Massad Ayoob mentions the pelvis shot. Massad is a humble man, not prone to bragging.

Edited by Will Carry

I have enjoyed this. Very few people will talk trash to me in real life, you guys are great! Punisher84 I have a great attitude towards life, it has gotten me this far. One of the things I try to be is humble. You and Dave could use a little humility but I do admire a young man who's a little cocky, as long as he ain't FOS. I may have made you and TNDave angry, But you will get over it. I know I'll get over being called an Al Gore lover, but it will take time.:)

Edited by Will Carry
Guest clsutton21

Thread summary:

Idiots go to store.

Idiots are told by old man never to come back because they are immature.

Idiot approaches an older man and says to kiss his ass.

Old man is afraid and pulls his weapon to protect himself in case a gaggle of burly idiots attack.

Idiots still lose.

Someone ready to lock this yet?

Thread summary:

Idiots go to store.

Old man is afraid and pulls his weapon to protect himself in case a gaggle of burly idiots attack.

Idiots still lose.

That about sums it up.

Thread summary:

Idiots go to store.

Idiots still lose.

you need to add...

idiots can't comprehend what they read

idiots read things that were never typed

Thread summary:

Idiots go to store.

Idiots still lose.

Except for that they were told by the old guy to quiet down, they did, nothing eventful happened until they left and THE OLD GUY FOLLoWEd THEM OUT, then the friend told him to kiss his butt. The "idiot" didnt approach the old man, the old man approached them. The old men instigated the whole thing.

• Administrator
I have enjoyed this. Very few people will talk trash to me in real life, you guys are great! Punisher84 I have a great attitude towards life, it has gotten me this far. One of the things I try to be is humble. You and Dave could use a little humility but I do admire a young man who's a little cocky, as long as he ain't FOS. I may have made you and TNDave angry, But you will get over it. I know I'll get over being called an Al Gore lover, but it will take time.:D

Will, the beauty of the Internet is that people can exchange ideas openly and sometimes that means without the apprehension that might come with debating someone larger, older or more "menacing" then they would otherwise in person. Some people care about those things. I'm not really one of them as folks who know me will attest. :)

That said, I think what you're failing to recognize here is that these younger guys aren't necessary FOS but see a problem with your mindset.

So..... has anyone verified, if this really happened? Question.... now don't nobody get there drawers in a wad, but when did TGO members get so dis-trusting of what other members post? Has there been some "tail-tales" told lately that I've missed, or has it come down to dis-trusting newer members? ( hope not) !!! I respect all you guys, well except for Stefa., Only bad thing, hard to tell unless ( j/k) when someones serious or just bust'n yer chops. Regardless this is still one of the very best forums in the country !!! Thanks David, you don't get told that enough !

Edited by Ae-35
Guest clsutton21
Except for that they were told by the old guy to quiet down, they did, nothing eventful happened until they left and THE OLD GUY FOLLoWEd THEM OUT, then the friend told him to kiss his butt. The "idiot" didnt approach the old man, the old man approached them. The old men instigated the whole thing.

The old guy followed them out to tell them to never return.

I still don't believe the guy coming outside to tell them not to come back was instigating the situation. I don't believe his intentions were to start an altercation with three burly guys much less intend on pulling a gun. I do believe his intentions were to tell the three not to return and nothing more. At that point I believe the three burly guys became aggressive in some manner causing the single guy to become fearful and honestly who wouldn't. At that point the single guy knew he would not be able to defend himself against the three so he resorted to his only equalizer he had, a firearm.

People are looking at it differently because one of the three are members here. Had someone on here posted "I pulled a gun on three big, burly guys who were going to attack me" most of the posts would be just the opposite.

I know for a fact that if I had three big, burly guys aggressively coming at me I would probably pull a gun as well if I felt my life was in danger. We can only speculate on how the guy felt but if he felt as though his life was in danger he would be justified. We see it all the time on here, people tell others to say you were in fear for your life and all will be ok. This guy acted as though felt his life was in danger.

Dolomite

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I never said they were FOS. I said "I admire a young man who is cocky as long as they are NOT FOS." But from reading their posts they are, in my humble, Al Gore loving opinion, misguided to think that when a man has a gun pointed at them with his finger on the trigger that they are not in a tactically precarious position. That may not be FOS but it is cocky. :wall:

I never said they were FOS. I said "I admire a young man who is cocky as long as they are NOT FOS." But from reading their posts they are, in my humble, Al Gore loving opinion, misguided to think that when a man has a gun pointed at them with his finger on the trigger that they are not in a tactically precarious position. That may not be FOS but it is cocky. :wall:

Never said it was a good position to be in. Just said that I'd do something besides stand there and hope for the bad guy to show me mercy.

I'm sorry I come across as cocky, I'm really not. I am confident though. That confidence comes from experience in both my training and in real world scenarios. As David more or less said earlier, I don't have anything against you at all, just debating on your mindset towards carrying a firearm for self defense based on your posts in this thread.

FWIW we would have had pretty close to the same conversation in public as here. I imagine it wouldn't have ruffled any feathers though since you can actually hear the tone of someones voice as opposed to here, where you just assume the worst intention.

I wasn't there so have no idea what I'd have done, however... if the guy was pointing a derringer - and it wasn't cocked at the time - I can see where it was quite a bit less dangerous to disarm him than some of you seem to believe. Especially if the fellow was very close already.

Sounds to me like the crazy guy thought his gun was a magic wand, and really didn't have any intention of using it. Also sounds like that gun is probably responsible for him believing he needed to stick his nose where it really didn't belong, since I haven't read anything that gives me the impression that he had any business or authority to tell ANYONE to "never come back".

I also can't help but notice that the real idiot went to jail...

Edited by Jamie
Rambo! Wait! You ain't Rambo. You said in the previous post that you were faster than a speeding bullet. You are Superman!

Well again, you are quoting someone else and using my name; so I think I’ll stop replying to you before this gets ugly. You obviously aren’t interested in an intelligent discussion, you only want to argue with anyone that disagrees with you and then you can’t seem to keep straight who said what. Don’t you know how to use quotes?

Rambo??? No, none of us here claim to be Rambo. But you seem to think you are Clint Eastwood. Here is a quote (See how that works?) of what you said.

The part about you not getting offended I guess is pretty much BS also.

If I pull a gun on someone. It's shootin' time. You can dance all you want but before you can pull your pistol, you will be meeting Saint Peter at the Holy Gates. 2) there is always the chance I could miss...........Do ya feel lucky?

This is a discussion that needs to be talked about. Feel free to jump in and say what you feel. You will not offend me. We are just talking.

So I get it…. You would have shot the guy where he stood. You would have shot him in the hip which I assume would have drooped him to the ground screaming in pain. You then could have stood over him and made some Clint Eastwood quotes. Is that pretty close to how this scenario went down in your head?

Sorry Dave, but that Al Gore remark was a low blow.
I know I'll get over being called an Al Gore lover, but it will take time

I did not say you were an Al Gore lover; that remark obviously went over your head so let me explain…

I assumed you were merely being funny when you said you claimed you made up the term “Keyboard Cowboyâ€. Some say that Al Gore claimed to have invented the internet. That’s why I quipped “Are you related to Al Goreâ€. That is something much different that “Al Gore Lovingâ€.

I may have made you and TNDave angry, But you will get over it.

I am not mad at all. I took the time to respond to the scenario as it was presented to us. I make no judgments about whether it happened or not; that is a different issue than what someone would do.

• Administrator
I wasn't there so have no idea what I'd have done, however... if the guy was pointing a derringer - and it wasn't cocked at the time - I can see where it was quite a bit less dangerous to disarm him than some of you seem to believe. Especially if the fellow was very close already.

If someone has a gun pointed at me, I'm probably not going to waste precious seconds to determine if he's drawn the hammer back or not. Further, I'm not sure that the vast majority of people out there are knowledgeable enough about the Derringer model to be able to ascertain whether it was ready to fire or not, in a glance, under duress. This is why there are cases on record of police officers justifiably shooting someone they thought had a gun, only for it to turn out to have been a toy gun or some other object that they were pointing at them in a menacing fashion.

If this all really happened in the first place, the crazy guy with the Derringer is going to end up getting shot sooner or later if he truly makes it a habit to do this sort of thing as the story went.

I'm still thinking it's got a lot of earmarks of a tall tale, but it has at least spawned some interesting conversation.

Guest 1010011010
well like I said he disarmed the man forcefully. And no I didnt think about pulling my piece for the fact I didnt feel like my life was truly threated.And yes we are rather big and burly looking men, but all are truly teddy bears at heart.
What happens when you shoot a teddy bear in the heart with a derringer?
If someone has a gun pointed at me, I'm probably not going to waste precious seconds to determine if he's drawn the hammer back or not.

Funny, but I remember seeing clearly the exact state of every gun that's ever been pointed at me, that was close enough to actually see.

All I can tell you is that you'll be surprised at what you notice, or remember clearly after-the-fact, with such an event. Some things are a blur, some other are crystal-clear. And in this case, it's not like the guy pulled the gun and started shooting. ( That tends to cause a definite change in one's perceptions. )

Anyway, I have no real doubt as to what's been told very likely being true; people do some stupid crap, and truth usually is much stranger than fiction.

Oh, and one other thing... not that it makes any real difference, but every derringer I've ever handled or shot had a trigger pull that felt like you had to stand up on it to get the trigger to move. They aren't target guns, and tend to have a "panic-proof" trigger. They're also nearly impossible for a person to hit their intended target with, without lots of practice.

Still, every fired bullet ends up somewhere...

Edited by Jamie