Why are people so scared?

Guest ADAM

Guest tnxdshooter
Guy pulls a gun on you and you don't even think about drawing yours? My training would have identified a threat and my reaction would be stopping that threat at all costs. I would have been retreating to cover, drawing and preparing to end the threat.

I am afraid that fella with the derringer would have been double tapped after I cleared leather on him if I was in that situation. Since he pulled it and pointed it that would be justifiable homicide.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnxdshooter

It also appears you do not have the correct defensive mind set. I have the mind set because I think about different scenarios daily and how I would react in those situations and practice muscle memory.

I am afraid that fella with the derringer would have been double tapped after I cleared leather on him if I was in that situation. Since he pulled it and pointed it that would be justifiable homicide.

His friends were between him and derringer dude, if clear then yes, that's why I said what I did. Any one of the group could have done the same.

Guest tnxdshooter
His friends were between him and derringer dude, if clear then yes, that's why I said what I did. Any one of the group could have done the same.

Exactly

Guest clownsdd

"I do have a carry permit, but I rarely carry a weapon. I mainly carry when I go and long trips from home or when I'm hunting for a backup weapon but other than that no I dont carry. I dont feel the need in going armed and keep myself out of situations (most of the time) that I would need a weapon. I am the type of person that tries to walk away. I just feel that I can defend myself rather well without a weapon, and if that gets me shot then so be it."

While I admire your restraint and respect your viewpoint and you luck with the outcome being what it was.

How do you know exactly when you will "need a weapon"? There are a lot of other people that would like to know that. Shootings in gubment offices, workplaces, malls.....just explain the genie in the lamp that gives you the foresight.

you could plain tell tell that this man was scared, but wasn't willing to shoot.

That’s probably why your friend took his gun; he could tell that. I’ve been present when people (usually drunks) pulled guns on cops. We didn’t kill them just because it was legal to do so. God protects fools.

Guest BEARMAN

At what point in this confrontation would you have cleared leather and defended yourself, and your burley boyz? After...this confirmed threat began shooting the little derringer into you and your burley buddies?

Inquiring minds want to know the answere to this question.

Edited by BEARMAN
error
While I admire your restraint and respect your viewpoint and you luck with the outcome being what it was.

How do you know exactly when you will "need a weapon"? There are a lot of other people that would like to know that. Shootings in gubment offices, workplaces, malls.....just explain the genie in the lamp that gives you the foresight.

There is no “Genieâ€, there is no knowledge of when it will happen and there are no guarantees.

We live our lives. I worked the streets as a cop; I know better than most the dangers out there and what people will do. But I refuse to be tied to a gun. I keep them around and have quick access most of the time, but I don’t feel the need to carry all the time. If I get killed; so be it.

Don't hate us because we have no fear. :rolleyes:

I believe I have a problem with the whole premise of this thread. I don't carry a gun because I am afraid, nor do I have any desire to take the life of another human being. But I carry to keep myself and my family from being victims. I will go out of my way to avoid drawing my weapon, but when it's the only thing that will keep me alive, then that's what I have to be prepared to do.

Anyone who says they are not afraid in a life and death situation is either a liar or a fool. Courage is not the absence of fear, but the mastery of it.

Part of me hopes that if I'm ever in a situation like this I'll be cool enough not to draw and fire at the guy.. The other part hopes my reflex will be to shoot him - and that's probably the part that will keep me alive.

Glad it worked out the way it did for you.

Guest clownsdd
There is no “Genie”, there is no knowledge of when it will happen and there are no guarantees.

We live our lives. I worked the streets as a cop; I know better than most the dangers out there and what people will do. But I refuse to be tied to a gun. I keep them around and have quick access most of the time, but I don’t feel the need to carry all the time. If I get killed; so be it.

Don't hate us because we have no fear. :rolleyes:

Well put.

The reason I started this post is that I have seen this happen twice now and both times the weapons were drawn more for intimidation rather than defense. The first time That I ever saw this happen I or my party was not envolved or did we now the two people, the guy that pulled the gun was badly beaten and I do mean badly beaten by the man who had the gun stuck in his face,and this was at a well known restaurant in Johnson City,and the second was last night. I just dont understand why the first thing that pops into someones head during a confrontation is to pull a weapon.

Adam, I know what you're getting at here, and I'll ignore the poor choice of your friend in his reaction.

Let's just go with this guy pulling the gun to begin with. I totally agree with you. Whatever happened to settling things man to man, with fists, no weapons? Pulling a gun at the drop of a hat is the code of the hood, not of gentlemen. That guy needed a good old ass-woopin. No question. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean it's always your first course of action.

I was out with some friends the last night hanging stands and setting up blinds to hunt saturday, and we had stopped in at a little mom and pop to eat restaurant and as we are sitting there cuttin up and shootin the s*** a man comes over and tells us to "turn it down"

that we are being to loud. So we lowered our voices and carried on with our conversation. After we had finished eating and leaving we walked out the door and the man that had asked us to be quite followed us out the door and told us "dont ever come back." When he said that my buddy turned around and told the guy to kiss his ass. The man then said "I have something for you to kiss" and pulled what appeared to be a .22 derringer and pointed it at him. you could plain tell tell that this man was scared, but wasn't willing to shoot. J.R walked straight up to him and quickly disarmed the man in a rather forcefully fashion. He took the mans gun put it in the truck and called the cops. When they showed up they arrested the man for agrevatted assault and told us this wasnt the first time hes been arrested for this. We gave the cops the pistol and went on our merry way. I dont understand why the first thing people do is pull a pistol. What ever happened to taking a good ole ass whoopin? I've always been taught that you dont pull your gun unless you intend to destroy whats in front of you.

Whats your guys opinion?

Hmmm... my thought is "what ever happened to acting like a mature adult and ignoring stupid people instead of turning around and cussing at them?" Seems to me that if you have managed to have a gun pulled on you twice, then you need to rethink the places you go, the people you hang around with, and the way you act while you are in public. I was a street cop for 10 years and never had a gun pulled on me and I was actively looking for armed criminals. I also need to think you and your buddy need to rethink your defense strategy. If you don't think some guy with a .22 derringer can't kill you, think again. There is a video of a South Carolina State Trooper I have shown to trainees for a decade that was killed by one. This story pretty much left me shaking my head for everyone involved.

appeared to be a .22, But what if it had been a Lightweight & Ultra Lightweight m7a.jpgLength: 4.82 inches

Barrel: 3 inches

Grip width: 1.1 inches

Weight: 7.5 oz.

Grips: Blackwood

Finish: Grey Matte

2-shots with automatic barrel selection.

All American Derringers are equipped with a manually operated Hammer Block type safety. The safety automatically disengages when the hammer is cocked. Frame and Barrel are made from high strength aircraft aluminum.

Available in .44 Special, .380 Auto, .38 Special,

.32 Magnum/.32 S&W Long, .22LR and .22 Magnum

Your friend is lucky the derringer did not go off as he disarmed the fellow. IF it was (and it most likely was) a cheap Saturday Night Special type of derringer, a hard bump, or minimal pressure on the trigger could have set it off.

I would not have had the unique ability to see into this fellow's mind. I understand you had friends between you and the fellow drawing. Due to this, and your gut, you did not draw. I can see moving to a position where you could shoot without hitting your friends. I would hope I would do so, while hollering for them to get down.

I understand your question, as to why would someone act like the fool who drew on you. I do not have the answer... Foolishness? Drunk? Mental Defect? Drugs?

I'm not gonna comment on the story as told because I've seen people do strange stuff when confronted, but I'd have shot the guy.

I'll agree with Dave on one point, I am not tied to my gun, but I'm not gonna wait for a shaky drunk to quite possibly shoot me or my friend.

Guest mosinon

I find it interesting that the majority of people seem to think that the proper response to having a weapon pointed at them is to draw and shoot.

I dont have an HCP yet, don't do the cowboy shooting thing but I am comfortable in saying if a gun is already pointed at you you've kind of lost that battle. Maybe everyone else is a super fast draw or something but I wouldn't be looking for a contest versus drawing and pulling the trigger versus just pulling the trigger. Were I in that situation, I'd be furiously trying to defuse the situation.

Maybe I'm a coward or something but I'd just as soon not get shot. And my eyes are weak, in the heat of the moment doubt I could tell a .22 derringer from a .357. But that is just me. I'm slow like that.

Telling someone to "kiss my ass" is asking for trouble. It's a sign of immaturity, at the least. And, not to defend the

guy pulling the derringer, but why in the heck can't you just be polite to someone and tone it down when asked?

Is that too much to ask? If you are a huggable big teddy bear, then why not act like one so you won't get into

stupid situations that are totally avoidable. Civil people don't act this way.

They keep their comments to themselves. Your friend has been watching too many action movies.

I agree with you mosinon.

I find it interesting that the majority of people seem to think that the proper response to having a weapon pointed at them is to draw and shoot.

I dont have an HCP yet, don't do the cowboy shooting thing but I am comfortable in saying if a gun is already pointed at you you've kind of lost that battle. Maybe everyone else is a super fast draw or something but I wouldn't be looking for a contest versus drawing and pulling the trigger versus just pulling the trigger. Were I in that situation, I'd be furiously trying to defuse the situation.

Maybe I'm a coward or something but I'd just as soon not get shot. And my eyes are weak, in the heat of the moment doubt I could tell a .22 derringer from a .357. But that is just me. I'm slow like that.

It's not a cowboy duel. You don't just stand stiff, draw, and fire. Let me put it this way, if I can shoot him I will. If I can't, then he is about to have the fight of his life if he's within a few feet of me.

I actually have no problem that Adam's friend disarmed the guy. If you can do it, do it. I worked with a guy who brought a knife to a gunfight once, he went home. The other guy didn't. It's all about what you're personally capable of and willing to do.