Olbermann suspended for campaign contributions!

Punisher84

MSNBC suspends Olbermann over political contributions | The Upshot Yahoo! News

MSNBC suspended "Countdown" host Keith Olbermann Friday after the news that he donated to three Democratic candidates.

"I became aware of Keith's political contributions late last night," MSNBC President Phil Griffin said in a statement. "Mindful of NBC News policy and standards, I have suspended him indefinitely without pay."

Olbermann gave the maximum individual donation of $2,400 to three candidates in Tuesday's election: Arizona Reps. Gabrielle Giffords and Raul Grijalva and Senate hopeful Jack Conway, who lost in Kentucky to Republican Rand Paul. (Grijalva appeared on Olbermann's "Countdown" on Oct. 28, the same day the host donated to his campaign; Conway was last a guest in May).

Olbermann, in a statement to Politico, said that he "did not privately or publicly encourage anyone else to donate to these campaigns nor to any others in this election or any previous ones." Also, Olbermann said he had not "previously donated to any political campaign at any level."

But the revelation raised clear ethical issues.

Olbermann, a liberal commentator, gives his opinions each night on the air. But NBC News editorial staffers -- like journalists at most news organizations -- are forbidden from giving to political candidates. Also, Olbermann anchored election coverage Tuesday night without disclosing that he'd given to candidates who were running for office.

By punishing the network's biggest star, Griffin showed how little tolerance there is for hosts to make undisclosed political contributions while covering those political races.

An MSNBC spokesman told The Upshot that The Nation's Chris Hayes, an MSNBC contributor who has filled in before for Olbermann and Rachel Maddow, will host Friday night's show. Hayes has spoken publicly before about donating $250 to a friend's Congressional campaign in Alabama. He made the last donation in 2009, before becoming an MSNBC contributor. [uPDATE: MSNBC now says Hayes will not be subbing tonight]

MSNBC already attracted criticism this week for having its liberal hosts and commentators anchor election night coverage. Typically, nonpartisan journalists anchor major news events—such as election results—while commentators like Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) or James Carville (CNN) offer analysis.

It's ironic that Olbermann gave to political candidates after criticizing Fox News because its owner, Rupert Murdoch, gave $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association. "Fox News has put its money where its mouth is," Olbermann said in an August segment that questioned the network's impartiality.

In October, Olbermann again raised the issue of Murdoch's donations, during an interview with Democratic Rep. James Clyburn. Olbermann asked whether there was "a legislative response to the idea that there is a national cable news outlet that goes beyond having a point of view and actually starts to shill for partisan causes and actually starts to donate to partisan groups of one party."

HAHAHAHAHA Suck it Olbermann!

Edited by Punisher84
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF??? We are supposed to believe that journalists are impartial, unbiased or nonpartisan.

I see nothing wrong with what he did. Why is this even news?

"Suspended indefinitely" could be next week. “Without pay�?… I doubt this will hurt his career. :D

Guest mustangdave

I'm kinda with DaveTN on this one...Olberman is a BIG tool for sure...all he did was violate a silly company policy that said NO POLITICAL contributions. He'll be back as soon as NBC deems he's done his pentence...and he'll be a bigger ASSHAT than before. NBC is just attempting to look impartial...which we all know they aren't

I don't like the guy either, but this decision was pretty stupid. Heck just two weeks ago the people who are happy about this where up and arms when the NPR guy violated some stupid employment law and got canned. Seems somewhat hippocritical to turn a blind eye to what is really happening to the msnbc jackass

I don't like the guy either, but this decision was pretty stupid. Heck just two weeks ago the people who are happy about this where up and arms when the NPR guy violated some stupid employment law and got canned. Seems somewhat hippocritical to turn a blind eye to what is really happening to the msnbc jackass

Well people are always going to root for their side, but neither Olbermann or Williams violated "laws". They only went against their terms of employment. The difference here is that Juan Williams had been commenting on Fox News for quite awhile, he was fired over what he said. Olbermann was simply suspended and he actually violated his employment terms.

Well people are always going to root for their side, but neither Olbermann or Williams violated "laws". They only went against their terms of employment. The difference here is that Juan Williams had been commenting on Fox News for quite awhile, he was fired over what he said. Olbermann was simply suspended and he actually violated his employment terms.

Or did he?

MSNBC’s policy, as published by msnbc.com in 2007, states that “anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.â€

Or did he?

MSNBC’s policy, as published by msnbc.com in 2007, states that “anyone working for NBC News who takes part in civic or other outside activities may find that these activities jeopardize his or her standing as an impartial journalist because they may create the appearance of a conflict of interest. Such activities may include participation in or contributions to political campaigns or groups that espouse controversial positions. You should report any such potential conflicts in advance to, and obtain prior approval of, the President of NBC News or his designee.â€

My point is that I find it laughable that MSNBC (or FOX News, or CNN or any other “Newsâ€) agency even pretends that any of us believe they are impartial. They don’t report all the facts and let us decide; they exaggerate chosen elements and then put their spin on it.

If they want to fire/suspend him for violating company policy I have no problem with that. But please MSNBC… don’t insult our intelligence by pretending that this is a conflict of interest that would impact credibility you do not have.

My point is that I find it laughable that MSNBC (or FOX News, or CNN or any other “Newsâ€) agency even pretends that any of us believe they are impartial. They don’t report all the facts and let us decide; they exaggerate chosen elements and then put their spin on it.

If they want to fire/suspend him for violating company policy I have no problem with that. But please MSNBC… don’t insult our intelligence by pretending that this is a conflict of interest that would impact credibility you do not have.

Can't argue with that.

Maybe NBC just sees this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of him. His ratings are dismal at best. If they can use this as grounds for termination, they could possibly stand to save some contract money and get rid of a guy who can't be generating much revenue anyway.

Maybe NBC just sees this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of him. His ratings are dismal at best.

This is likely the real reason. Nobody likes the guy and it is a way to cheaply flush the toilet on him.

The funny/Ironic thing is that I am willing to bet that the parent company of msnbc dumped a ton of money during this election

Guest mosinon
Maybe NBC just sees this as the perfect opportunity to get rid of him. His ratings are dismal at best. If they can use this as grounds for termination, they could possibly stand to save some contract money and get rid of a guy who can't be generating much revenue anyway.

I think it is MSNBC's highest rated show. Which probably ranks it just behind C-SPAN :up:

Look at this from a business perspective: You get to suspend the guy, make him a bigger darling of the liberal leaning folks, generate some controversy and passion and then bring him back. Ratings will go up, the people who like Olberman will like him even more )cause he walks the walk).

I don't see a real loser here. If they can him I'll be wrong.

DaveTN is absolutely correct, the notion of an unbiased media is simply crazy (and relatively recent). When peopel say they want unbiased media what they really mean is they want media that agrees with their viewpoint.

I think it is MSNBC's highest rated show.
True, but maybe MSNBC thinks they can do better with someone else. Olbermann has been getting beaten 3 to 1 by O'Reilly at 8 and 4 to 1 at 11. And when you factor in all time slots, he also trails Fox and Friends, Glen Beck, Bret Baier, Sheppard Smith, Hannity, and Greta von Susteren(actually he trails every Fox News show in every time slot)- most by 2 to 1 or more. And Olbermann has the prime time slot.

Honestly, I'm just glad he got kicked off of the Sunday night pregame show.:(