Why hide serial number?

Guest KCSTEVE

Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hide your serial number when you post pictures of your firearms?

• Yes, I hide the serial number.
    • No, I don't hide the serial number.

A smart man would think the same thing about a forum member that joined a thread simply to argue..........

...... Have you actually expressed an opinion on this topic yet?????

Edited to add: If I was really angry, I would feel compelled to start a "why is everyone on the internet so mean" thread....well....much like this one:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/45900-just-me.html

:P:slapfight::D:slapfight::slapfight:

Whoops. I thought I had, guess you're right. Well since you asked, I'm all for hiding the serial numbers. I've always done it. My reason behind it is pretty much what everyone else has already stated, because I can. Can't really add anything new there. Guess we can go another 4 pages of thread about it.

I find it hilarious you're still butthurt over that thread. Are you mad that I posted it or mad that practically everyone that posted in it agreed with me? I've been around this forum since David invited me over from The Firing Line when he made TGO. In all that time I had never seen an influx of posters just looking to stir up trouble like I had around the time I posted that. It also might be worth noting that the only person left here out of the group that was being referred to is you. I wonder how long that will last?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will it end.:D

When somebody gets into trouble for showing their gun's S/N on the internet? :shrug:

And no, I don't have anything else to add, I just wanted to play too... :)

Again, funny considering the source.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. I hope you recover in time for Christmas.

:)

Oh, what the hell... let's go for it.

Guy, I find it highly amusing that you give yourself so much credit that you honestly believe you are able to hurt anyone's feelings here.

Edited by DaddyO

My thought is that there is no valid reason that I would need to broadcast my serial numbers to the entire viewing public, just as I don't need to broadcast my driver's license number, my e-mail address, or my phone number. Could some dirtbag make up a false bill of sale using that serial number and claim I stole his gun? Yes. Is it likely? No, but neither is needing a gun for self-defense or identity theft. Doesn't mean I don't want to take any unnecessary chances.

I wonder what sort of aggravation you could cause a person by calling up the local LE department, and telling them that a particular model of gun with a S/N that's been broadcast on the 'net, was stolen? Even though it wasn't.

Now I know that someone would want you to come in and fill out a report, but even if you didn't, I'll bet the info wouldn't be forgotten, and might even be investigated as an anonymous tip.

Sorry, but there's some information that's better off kept private. Just...because.

I wonder what sort of aggravation you could cause a person by calling up the local LE department, and telling them that a particular model of gun with a S/N that's been broadcast on the 'net, was stolen? Even though it wasn't.

Now I know that someone would want you to come in and fill out a report, but even if you didn't, I'll bet the info wouldn't be forgotten, and might even be investigated as an anonymous tip.

Sorry, but there's some information that's better off kept private. Just...because.

What are ya..... paranoid?? :)

What are ya..... paranoid?? :shrug:

No, I used to be a cop, and know how some things can go, having seen it from "the other side of the fence" so to speak... so no paranoia is required. :)

Guest Guy N. Cognito
No, I used to be a cop, and know how some things can go, having seen it from "the other side of the fence" so to speak... so no paranoia is required. :)

Did you ever see anything like that happen in your experience as a police officer? No sarcasm; genuinely interested. If you did, I'd be curious as to how they played out.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Yea but at least one person here does not believe that could happen and wants case law to prove it.

(just doing my part to keep it going :shrug:)

Did you ever see anything like that happen in your experience as a police officer? No sarcasm; genuinely interested. If you did, I'd be curious as to how they played out.

Not with guns, but I've seen it happen with other stuff.

As with most anything involving the legal system, too many times what should be simple has a way of getting complicated - and expensive - rather unexpectedly. So if a person can stave off any possible unnecessary involvement... especially by simply NOT doing something... then that's the best choice all the way 'round.

Not with guns, but I've seen it happen with other stuff.

As with most anything involving the legal system, too many times what should be simple has a way of getting complicated - and expensive - rather unexpectedly. So if a person can stave off any possible unnecessary involvement... especially by simply NOT doing something... then that's the best choice all the way 'round.

+1. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to take the risk, likely or not.

Yea but at least one person here does not believe that could happen and wants case law to prove it.

Anything CAN happen... especially where the legal system is involved. Figured everybody knew that by now.

What some folks don't realize is that with something as controversial and contentious as firearms tend to be, it becomes more of a certainty than simply just a possibility.

Another thing to remember is that unless a situation goes to court, there won't really be much past police reports to show it even happened. So a situation that might cause a rightful gun owner to have to go through all sorts of stress and aggravation to prove that he/she is in the right might very well never show up in the law books ( case law ) or on the local news.

Doesn't mean it never happened though, does it?

(just doing my part to keep it going :shrug:)

I'm sure your efforts are appreciated. :P:):D

Edited by Jamie
Guest Guy N. Cognito

Another thing to remember is that unless a situation goes to court, there won't really be much past police reports to show it even happened. So a situation that might cause a rightful gun owner to have to go through all sorts of stress and aggravation to prove that he/she is in the right might very well never show up in the law books ( case law ) or on the local news.

Doesn't mean it never happened though, does it?

;)

Agreed, although you sure would think that we'd be hearing about it on the web forums and chat rooms.

Agreed, although you sure would think that we'd be hearing about it on the web forums and chat rooms.

Why? So a person could hear all those people either saying "I told you so", or "I don't believe you, that can't possibly happen"? :lol:

Amazingly enough, sometimes people do stupid ;), and then DON'T wanna talk about it on the 'net. ;)

Still, somewhere out there in the archives of all the forums, I'm sure somebody has mentioned an unfortunate incident brought on by them posting their gun's s/n.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna go looking for it though...

Edited by Jamie
Guest Guy N. Cognito
Why? So a person could hear all those people either saying "I told you so", or "I don't believe you, that can't possibly happen"? :lol:

Amazingly enough, sometimes people do stupid ;), and then DON'T wanna talk about it on the 'net. ;)

Still, somewhere out there in the archives of all the forums, I'm sure somebody has mentioned an unfortunate incident brought on by them posting their gun's s/n.

I'll be damned if I'm gonna go looking for it though...

Didn't someone on this forum very recently shoot himself in the shorts while reholstering...... Then post a thread about the incident? ;)

It's been my experience that many people don't hesitate to post potentially embarrassing information about themselves, especially when they think sharing can help others. IIRC, that's why the poster I mentioned above shared his story.

Didn't someone on this forum very recently shoot himself in the shorts while reholstering...... Then post a thread about the incident? :lol:

It's been my experience that many people don't hesitate to post potentially embarrassing information about themselves, especially when they think sharing can help others. IIRC, that's why the poster I mentioned above shared his story.

Well, I did say "sometimes"... Also, shooting yourself in the shorts while on the range, and doing no real harm, is one thing... doing it inside the legal system is another entirely. It's also a situation ( a legal problem is ) where that "shot" can come back on you at some later date as well, even if it did no real harm when it first occurred.

And then there's the fact that most people apparently keep their s/n's to themselves, so it's probably not a wide-spread thing to have a person try to use a number that doesn't belong to them for any reason.

Still, when you look at the growing number of people who are getting "bit" by posting crap on Facebook and what have you, it may become more of an issue at some point. Or it may never be. ;)

One way or the other, why risk it if you don't have to? Even if it's never happened before ( which I doubt ), why become the first case? It's common sense that a person can't use something they don't have, so by not providing it, the chances that it'll be turned against you or used to cause you trouble go from being fairly small to non-existent.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Well, I did say "sometimes"... Also, .

And then there's the fact that most people apparently keep their s/n's to themselves, so it's probably not a wide-spread thing to have a person try to use a number that doesn't belong to them for any reason.

Can't agree with this. A quick scan of several web- based gun sale forum (including ours) would yield a plethora of unhidden serial numbers.

I can see some cases in which a particular serial number may would add some value to the weapon for some. Folks may find their birthdates or other personal numbers within a serial number of some firearms and those may would be worth more to that particular person.

A slight aside, regarding interesting serial numbers...

I used to have a Case Bowie that had a portrait of Jim Bowie etched on the blade.

The serial number was 1836. ( The year Bowie died at the Alamo )

... Just another one'a those things I wish I'd not sold. :-\

Now, back to your regularly scheduled argument...