Have we forgotten how Great Revolvers are?

Guest TN.Frank

On the same subject, is the 4" 686 Smith worth the extra $300 over the Taurus 65?

That depends.... If it were a pre-lock with case hardened hammer and trigger, it would be worth it for me. (Of course, that depends on the starting price of the Taurus!)

If it were a brand new Smith.... nope.

Also, is collectability and resale important? Nice S&Ws have been appreciating handsomely in the last couple years.

Both guns will probably put bullets in the same size groups and function well, etc, but there's something to be said about the shooting experience with a ncie Smith, and I think the 686 is a great gun. ... I miss mine... sniff sniff B)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends.... If it were a pre-lock with case hardened hammer and trigger, it would be worth it for me. (Of course, that depends on the starting price of the Taurus!)

If it were a brand new Smith.... nope.

Also, is collectability and resale important? Nice S&Ws have been appreciating handsomely in the last couple years.

Both guns will probably put bullets in the same size groups and function well, etc, but there's something to be said about the shooting experience with a ncie Smith, and I think the 686 is a great gun. ... I miss mine... sniff sniff B)

Retail on the Smith is $800 where the Taurus is $455, so I'm guessing 600 for the Smith and about 350 for the Taurus. B)

Sorry guys, not a fan of the revolvers.They are generally bulky and difficult for a woman to carry unless she shoves it into the black pit known as her purse, in which case the likely hood of me finding my gun in time to defend myself would be better served by using the revolver in my purse as a weight to slam up against the offenders head. Not to mention that I personally would need more bullets than are in an revolver, thus magazines are easier regarding reloading purposes.

Musicman, I still like shooting your revolvers at the range though! ;p

Hey Redhead,

I carry a Taurus Ultra-Lite 38......it's a multialloy, 5 shot, super lightweight revolver and it is AWESOME! I carry it on me 24/7.....only take it off to shower....even sleep with it on (I'm not kidding). I use one of those elastic belly bands.....I hardly know it's there. It is the ultimate in concealed carry. I would rather have a gun with five shots that I can carry constantly and comfortably than one that holds more rounds that I don't feel as comfortable with anyday. The Taurus can handle +p loads and it's cheap at only about $350. You should check them out B)

Guest TN.Frank

Smith n' Wesson's suggested retail on the M-64 I'm getting from my buddy is $687.00 but NO ONE ever pays suggested retail that I know of. You can probably get a new M-64 for around $500.00 new if you shop around. I gave my buddy $225.00 and I've seen lots of other K frames going for anywhere from $200-$350 depending on model. Used revolvers go for quite a bit less then used semi-autos do because no one wants a revolver, well, no one except for those of us "in the know" that understand what a great firearms they are. :D

Guest TNDixieGirl

ok, if I have to be the nosey one, so be it.

Packin', will you tell us why, if it isn't way too personal, you wear your gun while you sleep?

Ok, the Smith is polished and the Taurus is matte. :D I looked at a Ruger last night a BPS, it's a $100 cheaper than the Smith.

ok, I'll throw my $.02 on this one last time :P

A Kia, a Chevy, and a Benz will all get you to and from work in the same amount of time. One is cheap, one's in the middle, and one is really expensive. They all perform the same task, but with different characteristics and levels of polish. You figure out which one you want, then look at your bank account. Which one can you get? Hopefully those two things will line up enough to make you happy.

Does that make sense?

ok, if I have to be the nosey one, so be it.

Packin', will you tell us why, if it isn't way too personal, you wear your gun while you sleep?

Not a problem Dixie:)....Since I was 12 years old, I have been able to sleep with a loaded handgun on my nightstand. Easy access if someone breaks in right? Well, at 36 years old, I had a son. Once he started standing and walking, a loaded gun on the nightstand was no longer an option for me. So now that I have a baby, there's even a bigger reason to have fast access to a loaded gun.....it's not just my life I'm protecting now, it's my son's. So......the safest way for me to have fast access to a gun if needed is to have it on me 24/7. I used to keep it in my purse occasionally when my son was younger and depending on where I was......then one day in the Walmart parking lot my purse was stolen (with my gun in it) out of the shopping cart as I was loading groceries into the trunk. :mad: A car pulled up and a guy got out of the passenger side and came over to ask me for directions.....then the girl that was driving asked me a question to distract me, and that's when the guy grabbed my purse. I turned back around to finish loading the car, they pulled away, and I didn't miss my purse until they were long gone. That incident put an end to ever carrying a gun anywhere but on my person. They caught the couple at least :cool: and eventually my gun turned up.....on a guy that was arrested for a shooting (no one was hurt thankfully)......and the police are still holding it for evidence. Sooooooooo............that is why I carry my gun 24/7. :D

Guest TN.Frank

Did a trigger job on the 64 that I got from my buddy yesterday(polish the DA sears, Wolf springs, ect) and took it out and put a few rounds thru it at a few yards, nothing far or fancy cause I've not shot in months. Anyway, it put em' point of aim and cut some nice little groups. I really think I've got another winner just like the 13 that I had all those years ago. This time I'm hangin' onto this gun and not getting rid of it like I did the 13.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Well that makes perfect sense. If I'm carrying in my purse rather than on me at Wal-Mart, I wrap the child seatbelt strap around the handle of my bag several times and snap it closed and leave it that way til I get in the car. I do that for the very reason you stated. It will at least slow them down enough to get my attention rather than them being able to just lift it and run.

My baby boy will be turning 16 in April and we got to the range together so thankfully I don't have to sleep with it on.

Thanks for telling us. Curiosity was killing me! :koolaid:

Guest TN.Frank
If I'm carrying in my purse rather than on me at Wal-Mart, I wrap the child seatbelt strap around the handle of my bag several times and snap it closed and leave it that way til I get in the car. I do that for the very reason you stated. It will at least slow them down enough to get my attention rather than them being able to just lift it and run.

Hey, my wife does that too, LOL. :koolaid:

Sounds like you got it figured out PackinMama. On top of all the good reasons you gave the best is that your son can't get ahold of the gun without your knowledge.

I think your nick should be SmartPackinMama :D

Thanks Guns ;) Gun safety is very important anytime but especially when there are kids around.

Well that makes perfect sense. If I'm carrying in my purse rather than on me at Wal-Mart, I wrap the child seatbelt strap around the handle of my bag several times and snap it closed and leave it that way til I get in the car. I do that for the very reason you stated. It will at least slow them down enough to get my attention rather than them being able to just lift it and run.

My baby boy will be turning 16 in April and we got to the range together so thankfully I don't have to sleep with it on.

Thanks for telling us. Curiosity was killing me! :D

np Dixie ;) My mom does that with her purse too.......definitely a deterrent and a good idea.......But having your gun inside your purse is not. Sometimes seconds count and if you have your gun on your person it will be much faster to get to and use if need be. Of course, that's just my opinion ;)

np Dixie ;) My mom does that with her purse too.......definitely a deterrent and a good idea.......But having your gun inside your purse is not. Sometimes seconds count and if you have your gun on your person it will be much faster to get to and use if need be. Of course, that's just my opinion :)

Thats why I have a shoulder holster.;)