Have we forgotten how Great Revolvers are?

Guest TN.Frank

Guest TN.Frank

It seems like anymore all I see people packin', all I see on TV and in the movies, all I hear people talk about are semi-auto handguns. Have we all forgotten just how great revolvers can be. First off, they're just about as totally reliable as a handgun can get. They're not ammo finicky, an underpower load won't make em' "stove pipe" of fail to feed, they'll just pop it off then you can pull the trigger to the next round and take another shot. They're simple. You open the cylinder and you can instantaly see if it's loaded or not, you don't need to buy a bunch of expensive mags for it and they can be loaded fast with a speedloader. In most cases they're fairly accurate and given the right caliber they pack more of a punch per oz. then most semi-autos do.

I've just swapped a Glock 22 to a buddy for some cash and his S&W model 64. I'll put some decent grips on it, get a few speedloaders and a couple speed strips for carry and get a good holster for it and I'll feel just as safe, just as well armed as I did with the Glock. With good +P ammo and proper hits(the REAL key to "stopping power") I can defend my-self just as well as with any other handgun on the planet. I can cast my own bullets out of wheel weights and plink for a couple dollars a box which should get me shooting again and I'll not have to chase my brass all over creation either.

Is there anyone else out there that feels like I do, that feels that the tried and true revolver is getting a bumb rap these days? Chime in if you feel that way, I'd like to hear from a few more revolver fans.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

......I love wood grips on a revolver

The funny thing about S&W wood grips is that they are worth more than some of the firearms. Back in the day we all pulled them off and replaced them with rubbers making for today's "shortage" for factory wood.

Those combat grips on my 24-3 will bring $200-$300 all day long just by themselves. :D

Guest TN.Frank

That is one very nice looking 44 spl DMark. Back in the day I was luckey enough to have owned one of the limited runs of 657, 3" round butt 41 mags that IIRC Lou Horton requested S&W to make. I've also had a couple M-27's(8 3/8" and 3" IIRC) that shot very well. I'd like to try and pick up a couple more revolvers when funds become available, a nice sunbby of some kind, probably a M60 and an L frame 4" or maybe a 6" not sure yet.

I love a good revolver. I am not all into fancy autoloaders. Seems them auto loaders make up about 99% or handgun threads here.

I have four revolvers and they are my four favorite handguns. An 1851 Navy .44, a 1858 Remington .44 , a SP-101 .357 and of course the Ruger SAS in .22/.22WMR.

The SP-101 gets carried, the others seem more historical to me but they are all shooters. Well the 1851 will be a shooter when it arrives back at home this week. It has been off getting worked on and is coming back to me in shooting order.

You mentioned "simple". I will beg to differ on that comment. revolvers are intricate and much more complicated should something go wrong mechanically on it. But I agree in simple as in simple to operate.

here are mine in a few different photos

1858_Remington_Army_1.JPG

1851_Navy_44.JPG

Ruger_Bros_.JPG

Guest darkstar

I think a lot of whats going on is the marketing of SA's vs. Revolvers. Check out any gun mag and a lot of the ads will be for autos. You hardly ever see ads for revolvers. I just looked real quickly at the latest Guns and Ammo and there was one ad for a revolver (I counted only the larger ads half a page or larger) in the same issue there were 11 ads for auto's.

You never see an action star whipping out the 6 gun, they always pack autos...and if you do see someone with a revolver I would bet it's an "older" character ( not ragging on the older folks, just saying what I see) The gun makers produce what sells and I would bet that most folks these days consider an auto when they think of a gun.

That being said I love revolvers...I think eveyone should own at least one. They are great guns and I love the way mine (SP101 .357) feels in my hand and shoots. I also love my 3 autos as well (S&W 9mm, Glock 23, M&P .45). I think a lot of people want autos for lots of different reasons and simply don't consider a revolver, which is too bad. Check it out next time in your favorite gun shop, I'd be willing to bet most places have 2-3 times more autos than have revolvers...a lot of folks just don't really consider them these days.

Guest ETS_Inc

I have one revolver, a 4" S&W 686, and it's the last gun with which I'd ever part ways. It's a great gun - accurate, reliable, and beautiful. But, most importantly to me, it was the gun my dad carried while working the roads as a Deputy Sheriff for a number of years, before his arthritis got too bad too handle the .357 recoil. When he left the road and went totaly to the jailhouse, I bought the gun from him, and have been shooting it for the better part of 9 years.

I have a 44 spl 5 shot revolver - love it and am looking forward to finding an 8-shot .357

Although the number of shots available is about half of that of an auto pistol, simplicity of operation, when combined with the requisit skill, makes this a great self defense weapon. I'm debating though about whether or not to use the 44 spl or my 9mm auto to complete my range training for a CC permit.

Guest TN.Frank

Ruger used to make their SP-101 in 9x19mm and Taurus and S&W still make small frame revolvers in 9x19mm. Taurus even has a med. frame revolver in 45 ACP for those who like something a bit larger caliber wise. Using full moom clips they're about the fastest revolvers on the planet to load and reload.

I'm hoping to find a good used 8-shot .357 at the Nashville gun show next month. I'm in search of a good CC weapon and think the revolver will do me well. I like what Springfield Arms has done with their 45APC pistol and that may be an option.

Guest DrBoomBoom
Ruger used to make their SP-101 in 9x19mm and Taurus and S&W still make small frame revolvers in 9x19mm. Taurus even has a med. frame revolver in 45 ACP for those who like something a bit larger caliber wise. Using full moom clips they're about the fastest revolvers on the planet to load and reload.

Here's my Taurus snubby 9mm with moonclips. I got it from the Rabbi, it's in my pocket now. Yes, it reloads quickly.

taurus.jpg

I have come full circle. I traded many nice revolvers over the years for the latest greatest high cap piece of plastic. Now I am trying to replace those guns at very,very different prices. (Pardon me while I administer another swift kick to my posterior!) Everything seems to be about double to triple for those I traded. Oh well, never getting rid of the steel ones again!

Doc Boom even though I am not a Taurus fan, I do like that model, do you have any feedback on it?

Guest TN.Frank

For some reason that I just can't understand a used revolver doesn't cost all that much these days(guess it's because everyone wants a semi-auto) but new ones cost an arm and a let, even more then a semi-auto. For instance, the M-64 Smith and Wesson I'm getting from my buddy would go for around $225-$300 depending on condition but on the S&W site they're listed for $687, that's about $187 bucks more then a Glock. I just don't get it.

Guest MidTNShooter

I loved my father S&W .38 (LEO) service revolver, but I used to hate the poundage needed to recock and rotate the chamber. That was one fail safe pistol.

MTS

Guest DrBoomBoom

VERO1,

It's a 905 snub, 9mm moonclip, a little smaller than my wife's 642, but, being stainless steel, it's a bit heavier. It's snappy with Plus+ rounds, mostly I shoot target rounds WWB 115 gr. or whatever's on sale.

I've never benched it, but can keep it in six inches out to seven yards. Out at the range in Ashland City, it could hit clay birds on the handgun berm pretty consistently, walking in the shots. I don't know the distance, probably 25 yards? Mostly I practice at the indoor range, close quarter point shooting, one to four yards double taps and "zippers." Most stay COM. Every once in a while I empty the clip of defense loads, whatever's on sale, and put in fresh.

I like the gun a lot, of course I like almost all guns a lot, but this one's nice to carry, feels good to me, shoots well, and is easy to reload without carrying a speedloader.

S&W made the Model 547 - 9mm Revolver - no moon clips required - but stopped mfr in 1985. Another option.