AR-15 Lower Now what?

VERO1

Alrighty then, bought two new stripped lowers. Now I need suggestions on how to fill them up. Anybody have favorites for lower ends, or more importantly what not to waste money on? This will be my first AR build so go easy on me.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you tell us the final intended use for them, we'd be able to give better advice probably.

I like the RRA LPK's for standard use also.

However if your going to use it for any precision shooting I'd use a White Oak LPK/Geissele trigger. You can get the White Oak LPK from Adco without the trigger parts and save a few bucks that way.

Thanks for the replies. I think I want one as a flat top heavy barrel varmint/sniper shooter. The other probably a shorty. Any preferred vendors for pieces & parts. Midway had what I thought were decent prices on lower parts kits. DPMS under $50 if I recall...

There is nothing wrong with DPMS lower kits. Almost all the big AR company's

purchase there small parts from outside vendors then assemble them in their own

kits. Most of the time it is the same supplier ie springs, hammers and roll pins.

I'm putting together parts for a build too. What's wrong with a DPMS parts? Also, anyone have an opinion on a Doublestar parts kit?

Doublestar LPK's in my experience have been super. One of the nicest triggers in a std parts kit I have ever seen. I've been told they are Colt trigger groups, but who knows.

DPMS is not very highly regarded by James Yeager and he's seen enough of them in his classes he should know.

If you run them hard it does make a difference, if you put them in the safe it does not IMO.

You piqued my interest so I searched for James Yeager on the board and didn't see anything that would negate his experience. Everything mechanical/man made will fail. It just seems in his classes he has seen more failures from DPMS than some other brands. I'd prefer for self defense to go with one of the brands that seems to have a lower failure rate.

Overall shoot what you want, everybody's got preferences. The AMU has had issues with initial eqpt choices too. Fairly recently they changed triggers in the SPR's they build.

google the name and then research that.

Freezing up on the X? I've read that before, I agree it was a terrible mistake.

Tactical driving not his strong suit. However, in my opinion he's seen a LOT of rounds down range in his classes and he has seen certain parts with higher failure rates. That's info I can use to make a more educated purchase regardless of mistakes he's made.

Sure, I just wanted to let you know I'd actually read it.

Do you believe his actions on the kz negate the observations he's made in his classes?

It doesn't to me, but everyone has their own standards and to me it's not right or wrong it just is. I'm curious how others view it though.

i think he can still teach something if it is a proven method that works. he doesnt have to be judged only on the fact he couldnt put it to use if others have with good results the predominant amount of time. i also think it would be fun to do courses like he offers just for the entertainment value like someone made a thread about awhile ago.