Need advice on first bolt gun.

GIJake

I'm looking to pick up my first bolt action and am leaning toward limiting cost by buying used. I think I've found a good deal, but I'm starting to get worried that it's too good a deal. Everyone I've talked to says the rifle I'm looking at should be almost twice the asking price I'm getting. I've been a AR-15 guy for years and know how to size one up. Are there any secrets to evaluating a used bolt action?

The rifle in question is a Browning A Bolt II Composite Stalker with:

BOSS system w/ muzzle brake

.300 WIN MAG

Leopold mounts

Bore and stock in "very good" condition

Lightly used overall.

Edited by GIJake
Spelling
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know why anyone would pay $600 for a used one; they are $695 new at Buds. $375 sounds fair for a used one.

Tell the dealer you think he’s selling it to cheap and see what he says.

This is a sign of how crazy pricing has got on the net; a gun gets priced where it should be and some wonder if it’s stolen. ;)

As I said dude 7 and up ----- noone has misinformed him of anything. So 695 is not 700 ok then you win. 400 for a used one is still a bit low for the firearm unless it's well used. Some of us don't use the net to price things. He needs to check out the gun as stated. The firearm is a very nice midrange rifle. Not sure, but I dint think there are many like that around for <400 bucks. If there is I would like to pick one up.

Edited by Krull

I'd think that if the bore looks good, you see no visible damage, and all the mechanical parts work correctly, you've found a good buy on a rifle. Perhaps it's one that has sat in the rack a while and he's just ready to get rid of it. Ask him. If you get it and don't like it, I think you could sell it again and not lose a lot of cash. You hear a lot of talk about barrels being "shot out", but the fact is that almost no one shoots a centerfire rifle enough to hurt the bore.

I would start with talking to them and ask them as stated above why so cheap. If it's been taken care of you can tell by looking. Stock should be ok being synthetic. Check the bore pull out the bolt look for anything abnormal. Inspect the barrel and if you don't know what your looking for compare to a brand new one if available.

I'd think that if the bore looks good, you see no visible damage, and all the mechanical parts work correctly, you've found a good buy on a rifle. Perhaps it's one that has sat in the rack a while and he's just ready to get rid of it. Ask him. If you get it and don't like it, I think you could sell it again and not lose a lot of cash. You hear a lot of talk about barrels being "shot out", but the fact is that almost no one shoots a centerfire rifle enough to hurt the bore.

Especially not a bolt gun in a magnum caliber.

Brownings can be hard to price, because the same darn gun could be from 1930 or 1993 for some of the models and look the same visually. I am no expert but just had to unravel this issue for 4 or 5 of them. Some models and years are worth well over $2000 and more. Others that are virtually the same can be had for $500 or so. The one you mention is the A bolt II, while the more expensive ones are the older A bolts (I guess technically the A bolt I), or some of the safari or olympic grade hunters from back when.

It never hurts to ask. The shop I deal with has a gunsmith examine every gun they buy before they resell it, and most quality stores probably do this. It probably is just fine and reasonably priced, and you should probably buy it if you want it after asking for some details. Odds are against a shop that old being shady and likely you can get a return policy or a "we will fix it if it does not work, for a few weeks after purchase" sort of deal. Again, it never hurts to ask.

Ah, I did not see page 2! I see you bought it, congrats & hope it turns out to be exactly what you want and more! Unless sorely abused, its hard to find a bad browning, so you should be in for a treat.

Edited by Jonnin