In spite of a workplace ban man carries gun. Shoots robber. Company to rethink policy

Guest mosinon

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very refreshing to read about and I hope the company follows thru and continues to support the guy. I also think it is great he has some paid time off to sort out all of what I can only imagine are a flood of emotions and that he comes out OK and is not sued in civil court by the robbers family or some such craziness. Hopefully the LEOs are on the trail of the accomplice, also.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Glad to see everything is working out for the worker and hopefully this will cause a change in policy so other workers can protect themselves if they choose to.

I can gurantee that the worker as well as the comapny is going to get sued. Not saying it is right but I can gurantee a pro bono attorney is going to take on the case. I can hear it now "poor little johnny was a good boy despite coming from a broken home and he wasn't doing anything wrong when he was murdered". Most will settle out of court because it is cheaper than trying to fight it or take a chance on a jury. I was told by a legal director that preparing for a wrongful death suit generally costs between $20K and $30K so if they can settle the case for less, without admitting guilt, it makes financial sense.

Dolomite

Guest tnxdshooter

The manager/owner said

“He’s been through a lot, and we’re giving him our whole support,” Boersma said. “When he’s ready to come back, we’ll be ready to have him back.”

Yeah they will have him back until they get sued. Then they will can his rear end for violating policy. If I am ever in a self defense situation and someone sues me I am going to see if I can counter sue them for emotional distress etc.

Guest drv2fst

I wonder if companies enact this policy as a CYA legal maneuver. That would help them limit their losses if they can prove that the employee knew about the policy and knowingly violated the policy. Therefore, they may be less liable, shifting liability to the employee who is less of a juicy target. The can "discipline" the employee by giving them a paid suspension. :rolleyes: I wish I could get a paid suspension.

Lane County prosecutors determined as much earlier this week when they reviewed a police investigation into the incident and concluded that the Dutch Bros. worker — a man in his 20s who has not been publicly identified — would face no criminal charges in connection with the shooting.

That was a really good read. It sounds at least on the surface the company is doing all the right things after..

The company has offered the man counseling and placed him on paid leave for one month. Boersma said he has spoken with his employee several times since the shooting.

All employees of the Franklin Boulevard kiosk were given one week of paid leave following the shooting, Boersma said.

Since the shooting, the kiosk has continued serving coffee during daytime hours, but has been closed at night. Boersma said a plan is in place to return to regular hours of operation with a private security firm stationed there “for an indefinite period of time.”
Guest aaron_wil
No matter what happens, if he losses his job and/or get so sued, at least he's alive.

Being sued was a big consequense I worried about when I was debating on getting my HCP. What you stated here is how I talked myself out of that (more or less).

It's great that this company seems to be doing both the right and the sensible thing!

While I do believe that employers ought to be able to decided if firearms will be allowed withing their physical facilities, I think parking lots ought to be a very different matter - I hope that we can get action this year on legislation that will allow us to carry and be able to leave our firearms in our locked vehicles while parked in "company" parking lots...as it stands right now, many of us are forced to go to/from work unarmed despite our HCPs.