Has anyone actually been caught in a "DMZ"?

I've read on here several times and been told once that this has never happened in TN so we don't know how it will play out. Now, I guess we do. At least in this instance.

Mike will have to say, of course, but I remember a little something he's said about his ordeal in the past, and pretty sure it wasn't for just carrying past a sign as we are discussing here.

- OS

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike will have to say, of course, but I remember a little something he's said about his ordeal in the past, and pretty sure it wasn't for just carrying past a sign as we are discussing here.

- OS

I kind'a got that there was a bit more to it than just being armed in a Gun-Free zone...

His post here seems to indicate a bad case of "stupid human tricks" being primarily responsible.

When was this, if you don't mind telling? Under the current laws or the old ones? Not that it really matters, just curious.

August of last year.

Mine wasn't quite just carrying past a sign. I was in the wrong place but didn't know it. I wasn't aware that the fraternity houses at MTSU were part of the campus. So I got a few Felony Possession of Weapon on school property charges and a trip to jail.

Not my finest hour by far. But as I said, I finally got everything dismissed and my life back squared away. Sucks that it cost me about 20k to do it though.

Mike

Yep, I entered Matthew Walker Clinic to pick someone up. The entrance was posted as "No Concealed Deadly Weapons", so I open carried. The security guard confronted me and demanded my HCP, I told him no.

I then asked if he wanted me to leave, he said no. Then he called the cops who proceded to violate my civil rights and leave my firearm unattended in a half full waiting room (near a person supposedly dangerous enough to be disarmed in the first place).

I filed a complaint and MNPD blew the whole thing off... as usual.

This kinda confrontation almost always goes the wrong way.

This kinda confrontation almost always goes the wrong way.

The this is, there should never have been a confrontation. Once the guard stated I could stay, there was absolutely no need to call for police.

Since the police (3 squad cars for a non-crime) were called, they should have told the guard that there was no crime.

Now if you are implying that I should have voluntarilly given up my rights, I want to know when do you think it appropriate to protect your rights? Remember, once you give them up, you don't get them back.

The this is, there should never have been a confrontation. Once the guard stated I could stay, there was absolutely no need to call for police.

Since the police (3 squad cars for a non-crime) were called, they should have told the guard that there was no crime.

Now if you are implying that I should have voluntarilly given up my rights, I want to know when do you think it appropriate to protect your rights? Remember, once you give them up, you don't get them back.

We don't have "rights" on somebody else's property. That's been covered in more threads here than I can count. Sure, the sign was wrong, even though it was very clear they didn't want guns there. Sure, the security guard should have asked to to leave, or at least make the gun leave. Anytime somebody makes this kinda challenge, it always turns out the same way. FWIW, there will most likely be a proper sign posted soon.

We don't have "rights" on somebody else's property. That's been covered in more threads here than I can count. Sure, the sign was wrong, even though it was very clear they didn't want guns there. Sure, the security guard should have asked to to leave, or at least make the gun leave. Anytime somebody makes this kinda challenge, it always turns out the same way. FWIW, there will most likely be a proper sign posted soon.

+1 FWIW I've never had anyone NOT give me their HCP when I've asked, but I'm not a power tripper either. I've always ended up in some nice conversations about guns when I've dealt with the regular HCP holder at the hospital. Were not posted so it's a policy thing. Now the guy who was drunk, carrying, and threatening people...things no work out so nice for him. He did have an HCP too, everyone else has been illegal.

I'm sorry that I'm not the psychic you appear to be. Their sign only stated they did not wish concealed weapon inside their building. The security guard stated I could stay, and then called police. This is somethng you expect when you are invited to stay someplace? You then expect the police to detain you illegally when there is a report of a non-crime?

I find it truely pathetic that you would roll over and abdicate your rights or suggest that others do the same.

I'm sorry that I'm not the psychic you appear to be. Their sign only stated they did not wish concealed weapon inside their building. The security guard stated I could stay, and then called police. This is somethng you expect when you are invited to stay someplace? You then expect the police to detain you illegally when there is a report of a non-crime?

I find it truely pathetic that you would roll over and abdicate your rights or suggest that others do the same.

I don't think alot of people, including you, understand that your right to carry stops at others' right to property. Sounds to me like you were trying to be literal, and clever, chose not to identify yourself as a lawful permit holder and got your ass chapped when the cops showed up.

I don't think alot of people, including you, understand that your right to carry stops at others' right to property. Sounds to me like you were trying to be literal, and clever, chose not to identify yourself as a lawful permit holder and got your ass chapped when the cops showed up.

Yep. The cops have ass chappin' rights everywhere.

I'm sorry you think that. My rights (and yours) extend everywhere. I don't have a right to be on another's property without invitation or after asked to leave. Should any property owner not wish me to exersize a right on their property, all that needs to be done is to ask me to leave. This did not happen, infact I recieved an explicit invitation to stay (as opposed to the implicit one extended to the general public).

You are correct, I was being literal. If you are not literal with the law, you tend to get in actual legal trouble.

Allow me to elaqborate on the incident a bit more (I summerized before).

I entered the clinic, open carrying as prescribed by the "No Concealed Deadly Weapons" sign. The guard as I was siting quietly in the waiting room asked if I had a carry permit. I stated I did. The guard then states, "You must show it to me!". I replied with, "Are you a police officer?". He stated, "Yes, I am." I then asked to see his department ID (as he was wearing a contract security uniform). He proceded to his vehicle and retrieved a document that he showed to me. It was an Armed Guard license issued by the state of TN. That is when I refused to show him any HCP. Once I stated that I refused to comply, I asked him if he wished me to leave the property. He stated, "No, you are free to wait in the lobby. You don't have to leave."

Ten or so minutes later, the police arrive. Who never got a word out of me beyond I am exersizing my right to remain silent. I would think their asses were chapped (as you put it) when they found they could charge me with nothing and had to return my unattended firearm. I reloaded and left when my business was concluded at the clinic.

That was some Kwik thinking on your part ;). Sounds like the security guard was looking to escalate things. If he didn't want you in there, he should have asked you to leave.

Ahh, I see what you did there. It appears that anyone who protects their rights in a way you feel is unacceptable should be compared to Voldemort. Please send me the unabridged list of when I may protect my rights in an acceptable way to you and when I cannot protect my rights in any way.

Ahh, I see what you did there. It appears that anyone who protects their rights in a way you feel is unacceptable should be compared to Voldemort. Please send me the unabridged list of when I may protect my rights in an acceptable way to you and when I cannot protect my rights in any way.

Anyone? Nope.