Cleaning and lubing a CZ-75B

A.J. Holst

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remoil is ok but it tends to evaporate and is gone in no time.

I like mil-comm TW-25B as it's a light grease that stays put, that, or mobil-1 which is pretty awesome too (if you don't mind smelling like a mechanic).

A small touch of grease on the slide rails, and a bit around the barrel where the barrel and slide bearing meet is really all you need to regularly apply. If the pistol starts getting really dirty inside, a good spray cleaner and a toothbrush will remove the gunk. Then lightly apply a light oil to places where moving parts rub. One tiny drop of oil to each end of the firing pin is plenty. When you work the action 5-6 times, the oil and grease will be spread around where it is needed.

A good rule of thumb is that after you have fired several hundred rounds, you will see bright metal start to appear where parts rub. Those places need a touch of oil or grease.

The CZ75 does not need much oil. A little goes a long way. It has pretty tight tolerances, so using too much will just cause dust and dirt to create gunk.

BTW, I generally use Ballistol for cleaning and oil. Tetra is good grease. In a pinch, 10W motor oil and axle grease work fine.

I have never used motor oil, that is new to me. What are the benefits of that over the other lubes?

Well, for one thing, there's probably been 1,000,000 times the amount of R&D time and money poured into the prospect of making it better... honestly the way I see it a gun isn't very complicated so almost anything will do, that said, if it'll keep a Ferrari's engine in fine condition at 200mph, it's probably safe to say that it's more than adequate to keep a gun cycling just great.

Lots of guys swear by it, Angus from CZCustoms uses it and recommends it actually.

(I was joking earlier about "smelling like a mechanic", unless you're going to go nuts with the stuff of course).

FWIW, gotta disagree slightly with 1gewehr on the practice of the "How to" when it comes to CZ's, IMHO they actually like to run a little "wet" (and this is coming from a guy who thinks 5 drops in a Glock is 1.5 too much).

I say the full length of the rails get lube, a half a drop on either side of the hammer, top of the barrel lugs, barrel-link were the slide-stop slides through, and definitely the trigger-return-spring (important - helps them last), if you're comfortable detail-stripping a CZ or if you can be accurate with a syringe or something, the sear pack/cage can use some now and again too. Remember, you're not trying to drench it to the point where it's an oily mess, and wipe away the excess after you cycle the gun a few times, but don't be bashful, the barrel-lugs alone can get more than a whole Glock...

CZ's actually are born pretty tight from the factory, they're actually submerged in oil baths and cycled 100's of times to fit and marry their slides/lowers/barrels (crazy Czech way of low-cost hand-like fitting I guess) - one of the reasons their barrels aren't shiny and pretty like some other guns.

Light grease or the Mobil-1 is better than oil as it'll be less runny and stay put better.

Edited by CK1

Slick 50? Why not?

I've heard of it being used on really tight 1911's before.

Think any decent synthetic oil will do the job just great.

I've got a couple tubes of TW-25B so I just use that, but I'll admit the Mobil-1 makes slides feel like they're on ball bearings, even with the Glock, when I run out of the Mil-Comm stuff 1 quart of Mobil-1 should take me well in to my 40's...