Watching the Stupor Bowl?

Marswolf

Guest TargetShooter84

I probably wont watch all of it but I'm betting the Giants will overtake Patriots but hey, never know! But again, that depends on my meds...I've been kinda sick for the past couple days with stomach pains :-/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be watching, most of the time. I do make it a point to see the commercials. They're usually a hoot.

I'll be preparing hot homemade chili, hot buffalo wings, sausage balls, cheese dip and chips, pizza rolls, a shrimp tray, a veggie tray, mini eclairs, chocolate chip cookies, french silk pie and numerous other items that will clog your arteries. Ahhhhhhhh yes, I love Super Bowl Sunday.

Then next week will be the NASCAR party!!

I'm coming to your house.:koolaid:

Professional football is teh ghey.

Professional football is entertainment. But entertainment that you can't do unless you are willing to hurt. It isn't Tennis or Basketball. I was always a little guy but thoroughly enjoyed tackle football. I was willing to hurt to win. I hobbled around on crutches for two weeks after stupidly inviting the Fort Bragg guys up for a game after we won the Raleigh city league in '76. It was still fun. Worth every painful moment.

Sounds like vous may be teh ghey. Uah ;)

Meet you for a scrimmage anytime. Old guy rules. Anything goes. ;)

Some people play, some people criticize - but they don't play. :D

Meanwhile back at the ranch. Giants are playing a better game, but losing.

All the commercials suck. Best. IMHO, would be the Budweiser one, if they had left out the "Rocky" music.

Is there a reason we are serenaded by the geriatric Tom Petty, who I didn't like in his prime?

Guest TNDixieGirl
Is there a reason we are serenaded by the geriatric Tom Petty, who I didn't like in his prime?

Probably because no one could care less whether or not he has a wardrobe malfunction. :D

I can see the headline in the News Sentinel tomorrow.

Peyton Manning's Brother Wins Super Bowl

Not an offensive game and pretty boring in the first three quarters. But the fourth quarter made up for it. Ended up being entertaining.

Did not really see any commercials that stood out to me. Danica Patrick is hot but the commercial was a little weak.

I guess the '72 Dolphins can pop their champagne this year after all.

Hey, my home-town team pulled it off. I didn't expect that at all. Tom Petty has sounded better in the past, but he was passable. Commercials were not all that hot. A couple made me smile:

The Coke ad with Bill Frist and James Carville.

The Coke ad with the parade balloons although I hate Charlie Brown.

Oh, and that new Apple laptop looks pretty cool.

I can see the headline in the News Sentinel tomorrow.

Peyton Manning's Brother Wins Super Bowl

Not an offensive game and pretty boring in the first three quarters. But the fourth quarter made up for it. Ended up being entertaining.

Did not really see any commercials that stood out to me. Danica Patrick is hot but the commercial was a little weak.

I guess the '72 Dolphins can pop their champagne this year after all.

lmao, You're thinkin just like me. The media hasn't been yappin about him every second of every day since Brady came on this year. I can almost hear a great sucking noise emanating from indy....

Oh, and what's this world coming to, Alice Cooper AND Richard Simmons in the same commercial?????

In all, I thought it was a pretty good game. I didn't care who won, as long as the game didn't get boring.

The commercials were pretty mediocre.

But halftime performers could use some drive. I really like Glenn Yarbrough, but I wouldn't want to see him at the Super Bowl.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-04-halftimefeb04,1,6574257.story

Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers are rock-'n'-roll lifers who have consistently delivered solid songs and shipshape performances for 30 years. The only hint of glitz came at the outset: an aerial shot that showed a giant, neon-lit replica of a Flying V guitar piercing the heart-shaped stage. That was one of those so-cheesy-it's-cool moments left over from '70s arena concerts, an acknowledgment that rock shows on TV are frankly pretty boring. So why not go for a little spectacle?

But Petty and the Heartbreakers don't do spectacle. They're a bar band -- and a very good one. With his Southern drawl and sleepy-eyed expression, the bearded Petty never gave the impression that this was anything but another gig. He put the focus squarely on the songs.

And the songs he performed are among the best mainstream rock of the last three decades: "American Girl," "I Won't Back Down," "Free Fallin'" and "Runnin' Down a Dream." But until the latter, they all chugged along, never once in danger of receiving a speeding ticket.

Mike Campbell finally put some metal on the pedal with his guitar solo on "Runnin' Down a Dream," but then just as quickly Petty's 12 minutes were up. Hey, at least it was way better than Up With People. Remember them? Thought not. They were the featured halftime Super Bowl performers four times from 1976 to 1986.

When telecasters figured out they could sell every second of the four-hour broadcast to advertisers for millions of dollars, halftime minutes got a lot more precious. In the last decade, the Super Bowl signed up major rock, rap and pop performers to keep viewers riveted rather than wandering off for beer-and-nacho refills.

Then came Nipplegate, the infamous Janet Jackson-Justin Timberlake "wardrobe malfunction" at halftime of the 2004 game. The NFL is all about charging fans big money to watch oversized men in armor smash in each other's brains, but show a little skin and the league caretakers turn into moral crusaders.

As a result, the NFL tightened up its halftime editing policies with the TV networks and vowed to censor any unsanctioned language or choreography. They also skewed away from younger, more risque performers and started booking older mainstream acts in recent years: the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Prince.

Petty fit comfortably into that parade of veterans whose rebel days are very much in the rearview mirror. Other than a few stray pot-smoking references in some of his biggest songs, Petty has never exactly been a lightning rod for controversy anyway. That meant no chance he'd play "Mary Jane's Last Dance" or "You Don't Know How it Feels" with its "Let's roll another joint" refrain.

I like Petty - to listen to not to watch. Prince wasn't bad. He, at least, is a true musician unlike Timberlake, Spears, Janet Jackson etc.

As for the game - the bogus challenge for too many men on the field was a bit rough but the best TEAM actually did win. It took the entire team to pull it off. The defense was outstanding. Little Manning made some good plays with his arm and alluding defensive players (he made bad ones too) Tyree- Outstanding catch young man.

When will Quarterbacks learn to leave their "hot" chicks at home. Giselle Wonderkind did the same for Brady as Jessica Simpson did for Romo. The Pats are not a team they are a bunch of "super stars" and it showed.

Oh - and what do you think the dinner conversation is going to be like at the Manning house now-

Eli-"So how many years did it take you to get one of these?"

Archie-"You boys get squabbling"

Peyton - "Sorry,dad, you don't have one, you can't be in this conversation."

Funny. Eli beat the Pats easier than Peyton did.

I am always for the underdog so Im glad the G-men won. Really dont like Pats coach. Tom Petty was great, always liked him. The best game winning drive Ive seen in a looooong time. :D

I liked the game- I have always been a fan of good defense and there was plenty of that last night, so I was happy.

I saw Petty in Munich in 1984 or so- wasn't much different. Good song writer, not a flashy performer. In Munich he was obviously too loaded to play well-- he was chugging wine on stage, wasn't walking too well. He & the boys played 1 short set and left-- no encore. There were about 3,000 people in the audience.

Guest triggertime

Sounds like vous may be teh ghey. Uah :D

Meet you for a scrimmage anytime. Old guy rules. Anything goes. :bow:

Some people play, some people criticize - but they don't play. :rolleyes:

Nice bravado from a guy that has a girls first name. I guess you

had to learn to act tough early in life, huh Mars?