Who shot the couch?

mav

I am off work for the remainder of the year and I have already started to get a little bored. I ran across these pics while doing some googling.

Who Shot the Couch? Vintage Bad Fashions

I am by no means a fashionista, but damn, some of you older gentlemen sure did wear some horrendous clothing back in the 70s.

What is worse is that you have places that actually sell this vintage clothing, and it is expensive. May God have mercy on us if plaid skin tight polyester pants and platform shoes come back in style.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am off work for the remainder of the year and I have already started to get a little bored. I ran across these pics while doing some googling.

Who Shot the Couch? Vintage Bad Fashions

I am by no means a fashionista, but damn, some of you older gentlemen sure did wear some horrendous clothing back in the 70s.

What is worse is that you have places that actually sell this vintage clothing, and it is expensive. May God have mercy on us if plaid skin tight polyester pants and platform shoes come back in style.

I'm not even gonna look. Living through that ;) once was bad enough, no need to re-visit it.

The 80s were just as bad...

Which would be why I've worn the same things for more than 4 decades now: Jeans and tee shirts. Flannel shirts over the tees in winter.

... damn, some of you older gentlemen sure did wear some horrendous clothing back in the 70s. QUOTE]

True, unfortunately. Looking back at some pics from "those days," I sorta looked like a bad Elvis impersonator. Or worse.

Least our pants didn't expose our drawers or hind ends. That's about the best I can say about "men's fashion" from that era.

Guest Sgt. Joe

My favorite "threads" back then was a pair of Hagar Double knit pants, bright white with 2" cuffs and over sized bell bottoms. Any of the silk shirts went well with the white pants and there are a few I would like to still have and may even would wear.

They were all long sleeve but worn with the sleeves rolled up just past the elbows. My favorite shirt for "Girl Gettin" was a hot pink silk one with the huge balloon sleeves, I would also like to still have that but doubt I would wear it. All of it always worn over white patent leather shoes.

Yea I spent some time (well maybe more than some;)) in the disco's, not because I was crazy about the music or the lights but rather that is where the girls were.:drool:

Disco dancing did not require that one be a good dancer and if you have ever seen movies and such of discos you can see that it is true. All one had to do was dress the part, be there and move around a little bit.

Straight guys, especially good looking ones like myself:cool: were in short supply and "scoring" was way too easy. My friends laughed a lot at me about it but they had to do it during the week at work because I always had "private" company for the weekends so while they were playing cards I was playing house.:)

I know a few who were just like me back then but will not admit it:screwy::down: I figure if I did it I can own up to it.....I was at one time a Disco Duck.:eek:

But No the plaid and flannel patterns were not my style, and some of those silks in the pics are downright ugly, my "threads" were Groovy:). Still it really did not matter.....if they showed up at the disco and were able to move at all it paid off. What can I say, it worked:shrug:

For me the 70's were a BLAST, most every Thursday and Friday nights at the Disco and then the rest of the weekend camping out somewhere with the prizes that I won. I would go back to those times in a Heartbeat.

Sometimes I can not believe the personal information I share with you folks:blink:

I'm with Sgt Joe on this one. Those were the day's. I remember the fashions all to well. Still have pictures.

It was a great time, the 70's. I was living in Atlanta then stationed in Germany. It was all uncomplicated at that time. Platform's and baggy pleated and cuffed bell bottom pants and silk Nik-Nik shirts. LOL :down:

• Moderators

I can't find fault in anything Sgt. Joe said. Back in the late 90's & early 00's I spent my time wearing either kikwear and JNCO's with gigantic pants legs and dayglo colored Adidas visors or some pleather filled goth getup because the raver girls and the goth girls were the easiest lays. As long as you wore the uniform and could talk the bands or DJs, you didn't have to wonder what what you were doing any given night, just where and with whom.

Eleganza was THE 'pimp fashion' catalog! We used to laugh at those pictures in the '70's too. I never knew anyone who actually wore those clothes.

Nothing has changed. Look in the fashion magazines today at what they think of as men's fashion. Real people don't actually wear those clothes in public either!